1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Couple Arrested for Wearing Anti-Bush Shirts at July 4 Campaign Stop

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Oski2005, Jul 14, 2004.

1. cur.ve

cur.ve Contributing Member

These right wingers are having a field day insulting our liberties, insulting our country, and insulting our troops and their constituents. So a couple of of the lunatic fringe gets elected. THIS IS A BIG FREAKING DEAL. Obviously they are in office to help themselves and their friends. Obviously they were there to get people angry. They deserved what they they're going to get in November. BOO FREAKING HOO.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not good...not good at all.

If they were being peaceful and not inciteful they had every right to be there as everyone else.

This is disgraceful.

DD

3. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Wearing a t-Shirt that says you hate a public official does not fall into the speech that can be regulated in the case you are referring to, Schenck v. United States.

4. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/artic...ive/2004/01/04/INGPQ40MB81.DTL&type=printable

good article on the administrations policy of silencing dissenters.

saying "assassination" or "bomb" is alot different than wearing a tee-shirt.

war??? no, no...the war ended over a year ago. remember "mission accomplished"?

wow! so the consequences of excersing our established democratic rights is incarceration?

maybe it will come out that they were being loud and obnoxious, but is that still a reason to be arrested? if they were making threats or something of that nature than they should absolutely be arrested but if they were arrested for nothing more than wearing a controversial t-shirt than that is just scary.

when dubbya got won the election (***but lost the popular vote by a half million) they had a big party in downtown austin along congress and it was broadcast on tv. i lived at 6th and lamar and could hear the festivities from my house so i walked down there. they had congress blocked off and you could only get there w/ an invite or if you were a registered republican or somthing. anyway, what the world saw was all these bush-supporters along congress but everyone else was cordoned 2 blocks off congress in the "free speech zone" and away from the tv crews. security was extremly tight. i did see some people detained by the police as well. a very disturbing begining to a very regrettable presidency.

its ironic that the guy who said "im a uniter, not a divider" has polarized this country more than any other president, especially considering that this is a time when our country should be united more than ever in the face of global terrorsim.

#64 jo mama, Jul 15, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2004
  5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I am currently wearing a T-Shirt.

6. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

guess tiananmen was A-OK then. that train is coming in, just on time.

btw, close this thread before the spooks kill us all.

and in other news, the Daily Show has been cancelled, and John Stewart hung.

7. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I'd say classic is more appropriate. Your simplistic "anything goes" schtick is just plainly not true.

8. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

And pants I hope.

9. giddyup

What you have pointed out is that this event is an aberration not part of a pattern, therefore you and your friends should back off on the frenzy of incrimination.

Do your contemplation, shill. :)

10. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Read the article jo mama posted. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/artic...&type=printable

It is very much a pattern.

11. giddyup

Yes a "diamond" as in baseball diamond is very much a pattern.

I don't see what the big deal here is. Is any president supposed to cater to his critics? Has any president ever done that? Would you?

When critics start getting routinely killed because of their outspokenness, then it will be time to get alarmed. Let me know if we create a Republican Guard in an ironic case of multi-culturalism.

12. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Oski, clouding Giddyup's imagination with facts might give him a headache. It's best to let sleeping apologists lie.

13. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

There is a huge difference between "catering to critics" and allowing citizens to criticize. Your pResident doesn't seem to know the difference.

14. Rocket104

Rocket104 Contributing Member

You are now a suspect. Congratulations. ;)

Don't say he's "your president'. He's our president, for better or worse. We are a country. If you don't like it, be sure to vote. Get others to vote. Run for office yourself. Make a change locally.

If you can't tell the difference between hating someone and making threats towards them, then I feel sorry for you.

15. giddyup

The "facts" of that article did not support the allegations being made.

16. giddyup

Your president had nothing to do with the removal of those citizens. Hell, those citizens are still criticizing, arent' they?

17. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

a question for bush-supporters...

disclaimer***i think kerry is a chump, but he's got my vote.

people are showing up at kerry rallys with flip-flops and clapping them together when he speaks. they accuse him of being a flip-flopper on issues, which i would agree with. here we are 4 months from the election and i really have no clue as to what this guy stands for.

anyway, suppose kerry wins and people still show up at rally's and speeches with flip-flops. should these people be arrested like those who voice their opinions against bush? would bush-supporters claim that they "got what they deserved" or would they deride the kerry administration for silencing desenters? would bush-supporters cry "freedom of speech" or would they see these actions as a threat to the president?

i would imagine that republicans would be up in arms if kerry had "free speech zones" set up wherever he went.

should rush limbaugh have been arrested for calling clinton a murderer (vince foster)? that certainly is pretty slanderous stuff.

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Maybe Condi can read GWB that memo.

This is one of the things I feared when GWB promised to run the country like America Inc. Corporations don't put up with nay sayers; they fire them. (GWB in his drunken stupor while on corporate boards gracias his father did learn this lesson to his credit.)

Corporation also are not run as democracies; the corproate leaders dictate their policies and expect everyone to fall in line. This sums up nicely GWB approach to getting bills through the legislature. Unfortunately it also sums up GWB's "approach" to diplomacy. The US orders France and Germany on how to act and then are surprised when they betray us.

19. giddyup

Dissenters don't get "silenced" they get "deferred." This couple is still criticizing. Their mistake would seem to be to have had the temerity/stupidity to show up with a shirt indicating that they HATED Bush.

It probably is an over-reaction by the Secret Service, but the attempts here to lay it at Bush's feet are pathetic. Maybe there was some "chatter" that week from terrorists about a plan to get at Bush... so no corners in security were cut. Maybe the agents were new and overly precautious.

Sticking critics in Free Expression Zones does not silence them. It actually probably amplifies them if anyone chooses to listen to them. You have a right to Free Speech not a right to An Audience.

20. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Apparently, they were wearing t-shirts that agreed with or at least didn't disagree with the Bushies. This is so egregious because these people were arrested for excercising their constitutional right to free speech. Apparently Bush doesn't care about the Bill of Rights.

The point that they were degreed professionals goes to show that these people were not dangerous in the least. They were excercising their right to free speech and were arrested for it. That may have been SOP for 1930s Germany, but it isn't supposed to happen in the land of the free and the home of the brave.