1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Constitutional Amendment Propositions

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by JuanValdez, Oct 20, 2009.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Besides voting for a mayor on 11/3, there will be 11 propositions on the ballots to vote on. All this stuff is boring, but I hate getting to the ballot box, reading a prop and saying, "huh?" I think it is a terrible system that provides such unintelligible descriptions on the ballot and asking the people to actually make a decision on this information.

So, I've taken the trouble to look ahead of time. Here are the 11 props, so you know what you're getting into.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/politics/6672888.html

[rquoter]Breaking down the 11 state propositions
    HOUSTON CHRONICLE
    Oct. 17, 2009, 8:58PM

Voters will be asked to consider changes to the Texas Constitution on the Nov. 3 ballot. Below is the ballot language for each of the 11 proposed constitutional amendments and a brief explanation of the effect of each.

Proposition 1

What it says: The constitutional amendment authorizing the financing, including through tax increment financing, of the acquisition by municipalities and counties of buffer areas or open spaces adjacent to a military installation for the prevention of encroachment or for the construction of roadways, utilities, or other infrastructure to protect or promote the mission of the military installation.

What it means: Would give cities and counties the authority to issue bonds to buy land around military bases as a buffer against encroaching development that could harm a base’s mission.

Proposition 2

What it says: The constitutional amendment authorizing the legislature to provide for the ad valorem taxation of a residence homestead solely on the basis of the property’s value as a residence homestead.

What it means: Requires a residential homestead to be appraised on its market value as a home rather than for its “highest and best” use. A home in a commercial area currently can be appraised at a commercial property rate, and this amendment would limit that.

Proposition 3

What it says: The constitutional amendment providing for uniform standards and procedures for the appraisal of property for ad valorem tax purposes.

What it means: Requires state oversight for uniform property appraisal practices across Texas. No enabling legislation was passed to describe how this would work.

Proposition 4

What it says: The constitutional amendment establishing the national research university fund to enable emerging research universities in this state to achieve national prominence as major research universities and transferring the balance of the higher education fund to the national research university fund.

What it means: Establishes the National Research University Fund with the goal of turning seven Texas universities — including the University of Houston and the University of Texas at San Antonio — into top Tier 1 research institutions. If passed, $500 million would be transferred into the fund, with distributions to be made by the Legislature.

Proposition 5

What it says: The constitutional amendment authorizing the legislature to authorize a single board of equalization for two or more adjoining appraisal entities that elect to provide for consolidated equalizations.

What it means: Allows two or more adjoining property appraisal districts to form a consolidated district for greater efficiency in sparsely populated areas.

Proposition 6

What it says: The constitutional amendment authorizing the Veterans’ Land Board to issue general obligation bonds in amounts equal to or less than amounts previously authorized.

What it means: Would give evergreen status to bonds issued by the Veterans Land Board for land and house loans for veterans. Voters previously had approved $4 billion in bonds, some as far back as 60 years ago. This would allow new bonds to be issued without voter approval as the old bonds retire, making the program more perpetual.

Proposition 7

What it says: The constitutional amendment to allow an officer or enlisted member of the Texas State Guard or other state militia or military force to hold other civil offices.

What it means: Would allow volunteers in the Texas State Guard to hold a state civil office by adding an exemption to the prohibition against holding dual offices.

Proposition 8

What it says: The constitutional amendment authorizing the state to contribute money, property, and other resources for the establishment, maintenance, and operation of veterans hospitals in this state.

What it means: Would authorize the state to contribute money, property and other resources to maintain veterans hospitals in Texas. Companion legislation would allow the state to work with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to promote construction of a hospital in the Lower Rio Grande Valley.

Proposition 9

What it says: The constitutional amendment to protect the right of the public, individually and collectively, to access and use the public beaches bordering the seaward shore of the Gulf of Mexico.

What it means: A Texas law passed in 1959 guaranteeing public access to the beaches would be enshrined into the state Constitution by this amendment.

Proposition 10

What it says: The constitutional amendment to provide that elected members of the governing boards of emergency services districts may serve terms not to exceed four years.

What it means: Would increase the terms of emergency service board districts from two years to four under state law.

Proposition 11

What it says: The constitutional amendment to prohibit the taking, damaging, or destroying of private property for public use unless the action is for the ownership, use, and enjoyment of the property by the State, a political subdivision of the State, the public at large, or entities granted the power of eminent domain under law or for the elimination of urban blight on a particular parcel of property, but not for certain economic development or enhancement of tax revenue purposes, and to limit the legislature’s authority to grant the power of eminent domain to an entity.

What it means: Would place a 2005 law into the Constitution to limit government authority to take private property through eminent domain and would not allow the transfer of such property to a private entity for the primary purpose of economic development. [/rquoter]

So, now that you know (a little), what would you vote for and what would you vote against?

Me:

Prop 1: On the fence. Military installations are federal, so if they need a buffer, the feds should pay. On the other hand, bases are economic engines, and accomodating their future growth might be wise.

Prop 2: For. Letting houses get taxed at a commercial rate would encourage properties in business areas to be businesses, but the high land values will already be a carrot, I don't think we need a stick too. Letting the state decide what the "best use" is for private property seems like overstepping.

Prop 3: Against. Uniformity might be a good idea, but it doesn't sound like they've got their stuff together.

Prop 4: Need to read more. If this money doesn't go to making more Tier 1 schools, what would it be used for instead?

Prop 5: For. I don't see any reason why not.

Prop 6: Tentatively for. Probably need more education on this subject.

Prop 7: For. I don't see any reason why not.

Prop 8: Tentatively for. Probably need more education on this subject.

Prop 9: For. Open beaches is part of the Texas identity.

Prop 10: For. It sounds very mundane, but I had read another article on this one prop pointing out what a hassle it is to vote for these positions every two years. They are staggered, so it's an election every year for a position that the voting populace doesn't know jack about. All these positions should be appointed, imo, but that's not on the ballot.

Prop 11: For. I can see how, in some communities that are really hurting, strategic use of eminent domain can make things better for everyone. But, I think that power would probably be poorly used much more often than wisely used. The wise can think of some other way.

1 person likes this.
  2. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Prop 1: Against.
    Prop 2: For.
    Prop 3: Against.
    Prop 4: For.
    Prop 5: For.
    Prop 6: Tentatively for.
    Prop 7: For.
    Prop 8: Tentatively for.
    Prop 9: For.
    Prop 10: For.
    Prop 11: For.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

These seem like a lot of ammendments to the TX Constitution. A lot of these seem like they would be better as laws passed by the legislature than Constitutional Ammendments.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

There have been 456 amendments to the state Constitution since it was signed into law in 1876. Only in 3rd place though to Alabama (over 800 amendments) and California.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Constitution

5. JuanValdez

Yeah, I'm not too pleased with the way we use the Texas Constitution, but we hand out amendments like candy. I suppose if the legislature won't give you what you want, an ill-informed electorate can always bail you out.

6. Major

Major Member

I don't think it's as much about the legislature choosing to things that way - its about how the Texas Constitution is written. It limits what the legislature can do, so lots of stuff has to be passed by ConsAmendment. I do agree that it's dumb, but to fix it, you'd have to fix the Constitution - though I guess that would just require yet another Amendment!

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

honest typo or inside joke that I am missing? :confused:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/search.php?searchid=143836&pp=25&page=1

8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

adoo likes this.
  9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

perhaps you should make amends for this chronic lack of textual prowess.

10. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

The biggest one I am concerned about is Proposition 4. California has 9 Tier 1 universities, Texas should be right up there with them.

11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

If its with some chronic I'm for it. ;)

12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Good luck with that..

Sincerely,
    [​IMG]

13. Landlord Landry

where is the amendment to secede from the union? :mad:

:cool:

14. JuanValdez

We're going to make research powerhouses out of these schools?

University of Texas at Arlington
    University of Texas at Dallas
    University of North Texas
    Texas Tech University
    University of Houston
    University of Texas at El Paso
    University of Texas at San Antonio

That would be a dramatic shift in the landscape of higher education in Texas bordering on delusional. Maybe "Tier 1" sounds more impressive than it is. What are the 9 California Tier 1 schools (a quick google didn't help me)?

15. GladiatoRowdy

The University of Houston is poised to become a Tier 1 research university right now and the biggest obstacle is Prop. 4.

Nook likes this.
  16. Major

Major Member

The first google link in "California Tier 1 Universities" comes up with this:

There is no universally accepted definition for a Tier One university, but three definitions might be considered:

1. Membership in the Association of American Universities (AAU), which is “the club” of the nation’s 60 best research universities. Texas has 3 AAU institutions – Rice, Texas A&M, and UT Austin. California has nine – Caltech, Stanford, UC Berkeley, UC Davis, UC Irvine, UCLA, UC San Diego, UC Santa Barbara, and USC. New York has seven.

:)

I don't know if the Texas schools could get into that mix, but a lot of those California schools aren't big name "wow" schools.

17. rocket3forlife2

Same here !

18. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i can't find the article from a couple of months ago, in the chron, regarding prop 4... basically, it details how cali set up the UC system to be research institutes and the other universities and community colleges would be second tier schools.

19. JuanValdez

The economic justification I've heard is that these research institutions will generate new tech businesses, with all the businesses generated by Berkeley as the example. But, does UC Santa Barbara spin off a lot of innovative businesses? Because they won't be able to turn UT Arlington into UC Berkeley.

20. GladiatoRowdy

Not just tech. businesses, but research dollars. We may not be able to turn UH into Berkeley overnight, but having UH in tier 1 will give our city two top tier research institutions drawing money and intellectual capital into the local economy. In a wider sense, enabling the same for institutions like UT Arlington will do the same thing for Texas.