1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Chili Recipes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Pimphand24, Oct 31, 2011.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The non-existent kind.

2. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Real Chili has beans. I've decided.

3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Guys... there is no ONE way to make the dishes. This is a pointless argument.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Why does every chili thread leave me trying some new and innovative way to make chili?

5. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Serious Texas chili cook-offs treat tomatoes as optional. My thought is that they're fine, as long as they don't make up that much of the volume. More than a small tomato per 2 pounds will start getting in the way of the meat.

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There's chili and there's chili and beans. Both are fine, but they aren't the same. Chili doesn't have beans.

My recipe changes slightly almost every time I make it. But as far as the meat goes I like to mix it up. I'll use cubed steak 1 lb. and ground steak 1 lb. That way their are solid pieces of meat plus the ground up meat for consistency, meat flavor, and it soaks up the chili flavor, and spills it into your mouth when you eat it.

I also use some suet you get from a butcher. It's basically like lard, and just adds great flavor. Of course cumin, chilis, and chili powder are incredibly important as well.

7. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Enjoy! I did this recipe with a coarse ground turkey/chicken combo last winter (been watching my health...except for the drugs, alcohol and cigarettes of course) and it came out really well. :)

8. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

so according to this link real chili doesnt have beans or beef, rather chunks of captured spaniards!

[​IMG]

9. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

This is what's funny to me...add a few beans...not chili...but throw in tomatoes turning it into Italian meat sauce...still chili.

I just see it as a Texas pride thing, and to simplify the capacity to be snobby about it, beans were chosen as the evil ingredient.

10. Buck Turgidson

You don't know what you're talking about, and you're good people and that's cool and all, but really, you just don't know what you're talking about.

11. jo mama

i think most people dont really understand the history of chili - the whole "no beans" thing is just something they have been told their whole life and accept. there is no legitimate reason for not having beans in chili. its just a cliche. kind of like saying "gene simmons is ugly" - people have always said that, but if you look at the man, he is actually quite handsome. the reality is that the people who invented chili as we know it in texas didnt have any hang-ups about beans - it was often all they could afford.

ragging on people for putting beans in their chili is like a bunch of richie riches ragging on poor people for using frenchs mustard instead of grey pupon.

and how many of these "no bean" snobs use pre-packaged seasoning instead of real chilies? what is so legit about that? ive read alot of history books and i dont recall cowboys busting out the lowrys out on the chisholm trail.

12. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

All I know for sure is that my chili is better than yours.

Especially jo mama's.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This thread made me want chili. So bought all the ingredients and started cooking. But the cumin in Germany is Asian cumin, which is actually caraway. dammit.

I was sooooo close!

14. jo mama

ive only made chili a handful of times so probably so. actually the first couple times i made it was the best - i think im trying too hard now to follow a set recipe instead of following my gut, george dubya-style.

and i know you probably think otherwise, but i really dont put beans in my chili.

15. rhadamanthus

Well yeah, cause otherwise you'd be making soup. :grin:

16. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

damn i want some chili... guess i got to drive to wendy's for a cup or two

17. jo mama

this man knows his authentic texas chili!

"saddle up the horses, we're going to wendys for chili!"

18. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

19. rhadamanthus

Well, wendy's chili does have beans it, so I suppose it would qualify as authentic under the "jo mama program of chili deregulation".

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Then Wendy's has soup and they should change their menu.