1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas BBQ

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Feb 22, 2010.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

To each his own. But I'd take the free pub to his millions of followers.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think he got plenty of pub when the President of the United States was there.

Believe me, he doesn't need any more publicity.

travel channel
    anthony bourdain
    james beard award winner
    jimmy kimmel show
    a pbs show
    etc

3. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

I finally went to Killen's BBQ around New Years. Waited ~1.5 hours and the whole time it smells amazing. You get inside after being teased and finally see all the meats...I was in heaven. Beef ribs had sold out by the time I was ordering so I got 1 lb brisket, pork ribs, and some sausage.

Looking at it on my plate my mouth was watering, I had waited so long (kinda) for this and as I put that beautiful piece of brisket in my mouth...oh!...oh? Sad face. The brisket was cooked very well, I think it was taken as far as it could go tender-wise before it just became mush, but it was BLAND. I thought that they might not even put salt on it, maybe this is better received on wide range of palates or something...idk. Bark was weak, which obviously goes back to a flavoring thing. Even taking a bite of pure bark, overwhelming sometimes, was totally lackluster in flavor to me.

Pork ribs I did actually like. Flavor was nice and tenderness was decent too. All being said, I do want to try the place again since it is so worshiped. I can not put this in comparison with Franklin, LA BBQ, Muellers. I would give it a 7/10. Any have better experiences?

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You need to get out more, Commodore! Rudy's is excellent and a very convenient spot to grab some good eats here in Austin, but they aren't in the same league as some of the others that have been mentioned here, in my opinion. :)-

5. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Black's Barbecue of Lockhart fame just open up a satellite location in Austin near UT campus. I must say it was delicious and lived up to the reputation. Moist brisket melts in your mouth. Giant beef rips to die for.

My personal Austin BBQ list:

1. Franklin's Barbecue
    2. La Barbecue
    3. Black's Barbecue
    4. Micklethwait Craft Meats
    5. John Mueller Meat Co

6. Buck Turgidson

That's what your governor said.

"The most important thing about bbq is the sauce." -- Greg Abbott

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Anyone ever try the swinging door bbq in Richmond?

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They just opened Coopers BBQ downtown, the same folk from Llano.

9. CCorn

CCorn Member

Had lunch there a few years ago for work. It was great.

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Cooper's in Llano is awful. I rather Pokey Joe's than Cooper's. Just saying.

11. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

I am working on a Project in Corpus Christi right now, and there is a place in Portland, Tx. called "Mike Cottens". Wow...this place is stellar! Their marbled brisket and smoked chicken is amazing!

12. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

JFC, he's such a tool. He needs to sit down and just shut his mouth.

Edit- Or just shut his mouth. My bad.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Kanye West tried to cut in line at Franklin's, and was rejected.

http://www.foodbeast.com/news/kanye-line-bbq/

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">It’s 10:06 a.m. in Texas. Hundreds may be in line for this BBQ. Even Kanye had to wait. <a href="https://t.co/RrMFkM3hkR">https://t.co/RrMFkM3hkR</a> <a href="https://t.co/JlFCnHgyDl">pic.twitter.com/JlFCnHgyDl</a></p>&mdash; The New York Times (@nytimes) <a href="https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/692378041851387904">January 27, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. body slam

body slam Member

What about Carl's? (290 west next to Cypress VFW) Seems like its been there forever and almost always has a decent crowd.

15. Bob Barker 007

The first time I had Micklethwait, it was great. The second time, however, the meat was cold and had no flavor.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

You need to go back to get their beef rib. That's their specialty. I wasn't really blown away by their brisket. Their Turkey was good too

17. PhiSlammaJamma

I once tried to fire BBQ out of a BB gun just to see what would happen to the Q.

18. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Yea I have been there twice. It isn't the BEST I have ever had, but it was really good in my opinion

19. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Reviews aren't so good. :(

20. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Eh they aren't the best and I certainly wouldn't tell someone who hasn't had BBQ that it is the place go to to try it, by any means. A friend of mine lives by it and the two times I went, it was good. Plus you will always have those people that complain about everything