1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas A&M football thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Ramu3, Aug 31, 2011.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Johnson hardly committed to A&M.

This just about sums it up:

2. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Heard a lot of good things about Marcus Johnson and that he has a really high ceiling.

.. but yeah, he was hardly an A&M commit.

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

So Oregon stole the kid from Hightower? Big loss for the Aggies

4. RocketManJosh

Yeah Thomas Johnson is a big pickup to replace him, but it would be nice to have both.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Bralon fits exactly what they do at UO. Amazing player who carried a middling team to the championship game.

6. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Can he catch the ball though?

7. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

So how did the recruiting class end up? Does it appear that the move to the SEC helped A&M land any top kids? No jokes....serious question.

8. chestr

chestr Member

Looks like it's going to end up in the mid to low teens for national ranking.

Couple of the new commits said SEC did play a factor. Off the top of my head I recall reading an article where Pope's coach said it was a big factor in his decision. Also, when Polo made his announcement he started by saying, "I'm going to the SEC" and also said he wanted to "compete with the best".

I don't think you'll start seeing the affect until the 2013 class with coach Sumlin actively selling the SEC to the junior visitors.

9. aggie87

aggie87 Member

not really, word is that when we got Thomas Johnson who is the best wide receiver in the state, he probably wouldn't be getting much playing time so he chose Oregon....

the reason he provided was "academics" were stronger at Oregon which is ranked in the 100's:grin::grin:

10. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

riiiiight....

11. chestr

chestr Member

Yes he was absolutely stolen at the last second but the pickup of TJ softened the blow considerably. It would've been incredible to have gotten both...

12. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

haha I would love to make a thread for Alabama here but I'm pretty sure only two posters would consistently post there.

Just out of curiosity, will anybody from A&M be making the trip up to Bama in November? I'll probably be working in Birmingham so I'll have a tailgate set up for the game and we could all have some fun tailgating bama style.

13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

He never thought about texas at all. When we used to talk about it, I told him a&m would be best for him. When he 1st talked to sherman, sherman never said he would play wr so he started to like tech more.When he started to think about being 500 miles from home,sherman got back in the picture. I was at the ut/tamu with him and his dad and that's when he thought about texas. Coach gets fired, it took tamu awhile to get a new one and the jones kid decommitted from ut. Major applewhite and mack swooped in. This isn't a 3rd person account. This is what I know 1st hand. Been knowing the kid since birth. His father and I have been good friends since 87 and played high school ball together.

14. RocketManJosh

I think this is pretty far from the truth ... He and Johnson are different types of recievers and Addison would have been more in the Swope role as a receiver. Supposedly Oregon got into his ear about potentially playing some QB in a "Slash" type of role. That, combined with the fact that they gave a scholly to his best friend made it a tough decision for him (that other kid doesn't deserve a scholly at all and would never get an offer from A&M).

For him, he wanted to do a Journalism degree, which A&M does not have, so it is definitely possible that Academics played a role.

15. aggie87

aggie87 Member

he wrote on twitter that his decision will be based on academics first and football second....

which makes no sense because A&M is a tier one school, and Oregon is a winning football program with jaw dropping facilities

16. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Did you see his last sentence? Kinda hard to major in a field that doesn't exist at that particular university.

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Am I reading this right? Not 1...but 2 FCS teams for the Ags next season?

Weak sauce at its finest.

Oh what I would give for my Bearkats to beat the ags.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Louisiana Tech is FBS, and last year's WAC champ.

20. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Sumlin trying to break in that new offense. I hope he does well.