1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas A&M football thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Ramu3, Aug 31, 2011.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Thank you.

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

a&m's run was always going to be short lived.

the school is too conservative for many players. that would at some point come back to bite them eventually.

3. Newlin

Newlin Member

What? You are saying they won't be able to recruit players because the school is too conservative? That is just ridiculous. The Aggies will continue to recruit very well. Recruiting is not, and will not be a problem.

4. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Right, because schools like Baylor, TCU, Notre Dame, etc suffer from that too? Ridiculous statement.

5. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Even if there was some fire to go along with this smoke, how could they find cause to fire Sumlin?

USC is going to have enough trouble holding up firing Sarkisian for cause and that guy showed up to school functions (and allegedly practices) drunk.

Firing him for cause because a couple of players don't trust him or feel like they were lied to in the recruiting process? If that was the bar that schools had to clear to fire a guy for cause, every coach in the nation could easily be fired for cause.

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

not in my opinion. there were many years in the last 30-40 years where the aggies were mediocre to below average. i wouldn't be surprised at all if they are about to dip down to that level again.

and if you don't think that a black athlete ever takes into consideration living in college station versus austin around those two different student bodies.

ok...

7. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Please don't stop there.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It's been a near non-factor in both basketball and football. Kentucky recruits. Kansas recruits. Bama recruits. OU recruits. Not sure why people bother bringing it up anymore, it might sound right in your head but it doesn't play out that way.

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

ok...

guess what racial demographic below is for which school.

67.74%
    2.74%
    17.3%
    3.3%

45.1%
    4.25%
    21.7%
    17.83%

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i'm not saying it's the be all end all. all i'm saying is it's a factor, and does not help if anything.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, and everyone else is showing you that it's not even a factor....just as it's not a factor so many other places. Just concede that you misspoke and everyone can move on instead of getting bogged down in a stupid argument that you have no chance of winning.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Oh the irony. Just wow!

I've never seen such a self-incriminating post.

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i did not misspeak. it's my opinion that i formulated for many reasons. i'm not here to "win" anything either, what would be the point in that? i've seen your highly Highly educated posts in the D&D. everything you post deals with absolutes. people like yourself are barely capable of any type of nuanced discussion, because you can never find the middle ground.

but if you must "win" you are right no black athlete, nor student has ever questioned going to a&m with their extremely conservative and majority white student body attends. the racial makeup %'s i posted earlier prove that. bravo

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I was speaking to someone who is wrong, I'm never wrong. There's a clear difference there.

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

who is this guy? does he love the rockets the same we love the rockets?

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

If true, Sharp needs to take a step back and take a deep breath. Trying to fire Sumlin for cause would be a no win situation for the University and for once, I'd be rooting for Sumlin to win out.

18. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Yeah, it's been funny to me that African American athletes choose to go to Ole Miss or Alabama, but they do.....

19. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

Man, I hope it is true and then you can watch Sumlin drag ATM to court to get his money. What coach would want to go to a place like that????

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I see your middle ground and can agree with it somewhat. I just think it's overstated. Austin as a city is definitely more appealing than College Station to me, but what someone prefers, including 18 year olds from all over the state - it's subjective. Regardless, small cities with white student bodies recruit well regularly across all sports.

Also, since it was UT that was brought up, it looks like UT's population is 3.9% black vs TAMU's 3.4% - with TAMU having more undergraduate black students than UT overall.