1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas A&M football thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Ramu3, Aug 31, 2011.

1. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Yeah, I was trying to remember why I had that kid on ignore. Dude just got a texx sized Bukkake blast and he's probably enjoying the moisturization on his lips.

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

To be fair, it's not like there's a wide margin there. From what I've seen, everybody has them ranked pretty evenly. Texx is making it sound like it's the difference between Kentucky and Vanderbilt in basketball. But yes, there's not a whole lot to brag about in terms of us spinning some of your recruits. It's all about quality in the end, and it seems like both schools have a lot to look forward to.

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I honestly do not even keep up with recruiting or even care any longer. I just thought it was funny to see dude get owned so quickly with his TexAgs speak by texxx. I'm in no way an Aggie hater at all, either.

4. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Our classes are roughly equal. If there's any gloating coming from the Texas side, it's because of all the hootin' and hollerin' from a&m fans about their far superior recruiting.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah nobody gives anybody any credit when it comes to the two schools. Last time around TAMU was killing it, UT wasn't and the collective rebuttal was "recruiting rankings don't matter, we recruited at an elite level but Mack Brown keeps losing". Now they're all "look at our recruiting."

Lulz.

It is what it is. Both sides just sitting across from each other flicking pee-pees.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Can you link to the collective rebuttal? I need a collective rebutt link for teh lulz.

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

I'm just glad we signed Chavis. He's the guy who is going to make a huge difference - not one particular player.

8. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

That's because UT was able to sign more players, which affected the ratings. Take the average star rating (yes, I know they're worthless but still) and A&M is usually regarded as a better class per signee. Also, A&M addressed their needs to one extent or another (another LB or CB would have been nice), while UT still has a gaping hole at QB, considering the one guy they got is a project who looks more like a WR at this point. Oh, the Aggies could still get 4* LB Roquon Smith, who didn't send in his LOI to UCLA when word leaked out that their DC and LB coach were probably off to the NFL.

Also, when you consider that 5 of the top 10 classes (and 6 of the top 12) on 24/7 are SEC schools, it's not like A&M had a bad class. But hey texx, don't bother actually trying to look in to the numbers or critical thinking if it allows you to try trolling A&M yet again.

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Yeah I understand all that -- but at some point you need to start having better classes than your divisional rivals like Alabama, LSU and Auburn. Haven't seen that yet.

10. Convictedstupid

100% correct. Hoping Chavis can bridge that gap a little bit by actually coaching up players, though.

11. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

For your sake, I hope Kyler Murray doesn't play baseball.

12. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

OK well I'm sure the NCAA will be more than happy to tell those other schools that they can't recruit 5*'s anymore.

Seriously, Sumlin and Co. can only do so much. They've already got a good start on next year (including 24/7's #1 player) and are expecting another "commit" tomorrow. The Aggies have had 2 years of top 10 classes and this year that is apparently just outside the top 10. They're getting the quality depth they have to compete with the LSUs and Auburns of the world. It's a reflection of the depth and quality of the SEC.

13. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

Yeah SEC is definitely great at recruiting. Too bad all of their major teams lost in the bowls this season. Until the SEC starts to actually play against GOOD non-conference teams, I refuse to bow down to them.

As for recruiting battles, Texas just came off a 6-7 season, a butt-whooping from Arkansas in the bowl whereas A&M went 8-5 and won their bowl against a good Big 12 opponent. 247 and ESPN has UT above A&M. Rivals has A&M above Texas. From this, we can say that these are very similar classes in terms of quality. They are similar even when everyone knows that A&M is the much better team at this point in time. So if Strong can put this class together with less than stellar accomplishments, what will happen when the team starts to win some games consistently? Hell, Texas even scared the Aggies for Murray, someone who has been committed to A&M for like 2 years.

Texas will be fine and the SEC is not as good as TAMU fans believe. The Pac-12 had a better record against top 40 non-conference teams than any other conference and they had a much better postseason record than the SEC.

TAMU is a very good team and they have a bright future, but UT will return and rival the best teams in the country in just a couple of years. The foundation has been laid with this class.

1 person likes this.
  14. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Bowl records? Really? Well Conference USA finished 4-1, so they must be ready to take over everything. How about the fact that 12 SEC teams went to bowl games and finished 7-5, while the Big 2+8 only had 7 bowl representatives and finished 2-5?

As for recruiting, I've already gone over this with texx. UT had a good class on paper, but they didn't address their immediate need for a QB, their OL recruiting was, for the most part, a case of quantity over quality, and they barely addressed the whole at DT with Lampkin.

Will UT return to prominence? I'm sure they will. They have the money and name recognition, and the Big 12-2 is almost tailor made for the 'Horns. As for this class being the jumping off point? Like all classes, let's give this 2 or 3 years to see.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

100% true. Biggest surprise signing we've had since Franchione. This will workout better though.
    No need to reply to that. What he stated was incorrect. There are 4 major publications and Texas isn't ahead of TAMU in all of them at this time. In fact Rivals is probably the most popular and it has Texas A&M ahead of Texas.

Ultimately it doesn't matter, both teams did well, no real way to compare the classes right now. Texas really needed Murray and Mack, TAMU really needed Jefferson and Boyd. If TAMU could trade Kyle Allen for Jefferson and Boyd it probably works out better for both teams.

Doesn't the SEC schedule to toughest non-conference schedule compared to any other conference? Also, the SEC eliminated the non-D1 games. So go ahead and bow down.

#4015 Ziggy, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I'm not sure of that statement's veracity, and am too lazy to check though it's funny to make it after the SEC got swept by all of its big regional rivals in the ACC this year, which probably accounts for the bulk of the S-O-S boost, if it indeed exists.

This around the time in November when people figured out that the SEC wsan't living up to the hype that it was generating in August and September. Not a whole lot happened in December to despoil that notion as well.

SEC did pwn all of Louisiana Directional schools this year though. So there's at least that.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The SEC won like 7 national titles in a row, finally loses some games, and everyone wants to pile on. Lulz.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'll bet you a million dollars the SEC wouldn't have won 7 in-a-row under the new format. The sham BCS unfairly benefited them IMO.

I know what's done is done but I don't view those titles in the same light as before.

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

When you wait that long for a chance to clown the SEC, I guess people were gonna hop on that while they can.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Okay so there's only 1 real title winner ever, the Big 10 is king of the world and the Big 12 must be real trash.

#4020 Ziggy, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015