1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas A&M football thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Ramu3, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I see nothing wrong with Aggies saying that enjoy being in the SEC. In fact, I think it's awesome that we're in a conference where, if you come out unfocused and lazy, you'll start questioning your own existence about halfway through the third quarter. That's what this team (and Sumlin) needed to understand where they sit on the totem pole.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Alabama gigged them

3. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I don't think there's anything wrong with it at all. I don't even think there's anything wrong with saying that you hated being in the Big XII. The Big XII as currently constructed isn't really where I want Texas to be, either. I'm just saying it's a little hubris-y to say the Big XII 'didn't cut it' after years of a&m underachieving. Frankly, I think the Big XII looked to a&m to be a top-tier team and lend stability to the conference, and a&m didn't deliver.

4. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

They looked to A&M to deliver stability to a conference that allowed one of its members to start a school specific conference when the trend is clearly toward conference networks...that same school tried to organize a mass exodus to the then Pac 10...stability went out the window in the Big XII long ago.

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

A&M felt they needed to get out from their big brother's shadow.

They chose to be a middle to lower tier performer in the SEC vs. having to deal with 2nd tier status vs Texas

1 person likes this.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Baylor's shadow you mean. Or maybe TCU. The Big 12 Texas teams that are actually relevant right now.

7. ths balla

ths balla Member

Considering Texas was the end all be all in the Big12, especially after the creation of Longhorn Network, it made complete sense to find a better avenue for the A&M brand. Ask Texas if it was in their best interest for A&M to leave to the SEC, answer is NO, because it is now hurting their that we have been successful.

So the last 2 years we were middle to lower tier in the SEC? Moving to the SEC and THRIVING in it the past 2 years put A&M back on the national radar, it was the best decision we ever made. One down year is not going to change that.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He be trollin'.

9. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I probably shouldn't have included that last sentence - no point in rehashing 3-4 year old realignment stuff.

Let's just all agree that both of our teams currently suck. If you guys get a little worse and we get a little better, maybe we can settle it on the field at whatever bowl 6-6/7-5 teams go to.

10. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

You guys were way worse a few years ago. Where is pointforward?

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

We were just trying to skeet away from the conference without Baylor trying to sue us over it.

12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

You all are saying that now but if A&M is mediocre for the next decade, fans will and should be singing a different tune.

13. Fyreball

Why?? Nothing I said suggests that I'll hate being in the SEC in 10 years. Playing Alabama, LSU, and Auburn every year sounds fun as hell.....even if we get our heads smashed in.

14. Buck Turgidson

Lol, You nutgrabbers couldn't beat Baylor or TCU with a bible. Congrats on being the 3rd best team in Missitucky.

Yeah, I'm a bit jealous, I wanted Texas to go to the PAC12.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I was referring to TAMU being in TCU or Baylor's shadow as opposed to UT's since those two teams have been more relevant recently (yes I'm aware its cyclical). You guys need to lighten up.

16. Fyreball

In your fit of Horn Rage, you didn't ready what he said properly. As of right now, TCU and Baylor are the class of Texas, so we'd be in THEIR shadows.....not yours.

17. Bob Barker 007

As long as you have Snyder and Spavital, you are in UT's shadow as well.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Okay brah, we'll just keep recruiting all the kids Texas wants and chill in the shade then. Bye.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member