1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas A&M football thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Ramu3, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

My guess is Alabama. IIRC, he has family ties to the school.

2. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

From what I've been reading, McKinney somehow upset the Katy coaches, and other teams have been starting to get in his ear about how the RB doesn't get any touches in an Air Raid offense. I don't agree, since I doubt he took in to account the receptions the backs get out of the backfield, but it's his decision. They'll recruit Soso as a linebacker, and probably push for another back since they're graduating a couple after this season. Maybe see if they can pry Hasty from Baylor.

3. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/college-football...divisional-rivalries-tweaks-future-scheduling

New rule in the SEC requiring programs to schedule a non-conference game with a team from a power conference which will change the way A&M schedules their games. They have 3 straight years with no power schools. Hasn't really hurt their SOS considering they play in the SEC west but still worth noting. in the few years before they went to the SEC, the aggies played an annual game with Arkansas. I believe they had a non-conference game with Miami in there as well. I would say this could be the Texas game but it doesn't seem like either side is that interested at the moment.

The SEC is also keeping the permeant rival. I guess A&M's series with South Carolina isn't too bad. They aren't a bad program but not the best either. LSU has to play Florida every year and hates it. It's weird that it will take 6 years to play the teams in the other division at least once. It's less of a conference and more of a league. Sort of like the AL vs NL before they started playing inter league all the time.

4. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

A&M already has the following on the schedule:
    2015 - Arizona State
    2016 - UCLA
    2017 - UCLA
    2018 - Oregon
    2019 - Oregon

So...A&M is in compliance with the new requirement, starting with 2015.

5. Brando2101

Had no idea. Looks like a fun non conference.

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Indeed. I've always wanted to catch a game in Eugene, and now it seems like the stars are aligning for me to be able to watch a game there that actually matters (to me, anyways). Pretty cool stuff.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I'll be joining Coach Sumlin and The Texas A&amp;M Aggies! <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23GigEm&amp;src=hash">#GigEm</a></p>&mdash; Kyler Murray (@TheKylerMurray) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheKylerMurray/statuses/471738652553252864">May 28, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Huge! I believe some other big time recruits are going to start rolling in soon. Think we've got a decent shot at a Top 3 class by the time it is all said and done.

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

in my opinion a&m football has now completely passed UT football as of right now.

and i dont see how anyone could disagree with me.

jonathan grey and malcom brown better have elite years this year :eek:

10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

It's not even debatable at this point. UT is completely middle of the road right now in terms of talent.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Obviously. For now, Sumlin has hit a sweet spot and Mack Brown left the UT program in the dumpster.

Very good times for Aggie fans.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

My step-dad (die-hard Aggie) used to take me to games as a kid and I got to see his dad play many times. Can't wait to see what this kid can do.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He's one of the few recruits I've actually seen play. He's magical but HS defenses suck. Especially secondaries. I'm wondering if he can get on the field early at a different position. Like Ryan Tannehill did.

Meanwhile, in Austin, Charlie Strong has issued a permanent ban on smiling. He's also trying to rename the weight room "Carcosa" but is waiting on the BOR to pass it.

14. ths balla

ths balla Member

wondering how it will all play out with Murray when he is a redshirt freshman and Allen is in his junior year

15. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

That happened a year ago or maybe longer. Texas is like in Tech territory now. Embarrassing.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Hey man, whoa, whoa... whoa... let's not say things we can't take back.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Nah, no take-backs. Longhorn fans will be pissing in each others butts like Techies within 2 years.

18. Brando2101

It could come down to who is a better coach. How highly ranked were the last two senior classes at A&M when they were recruited? Texas was the school at the top of the recruiting ranks and look where that got them. That being said, good players are good players. Another good pickup for A&M and further extends my worry that high school kids don't want to play for a tight ass in Strong when they can play for what seems more like a players coach in Sumlin.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>It's official, I'll be committing to The University of Texas A&amp;M. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gigem&amp;src=hash">#Gigem</a></p>&mdash; Kemah Siverand (@TooBeFamous) <a href="https://twitter.com/TooBeFamous/statuses/472102599978541057">May 29, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I have cancelled my summer visits</p>&mdash; THEE MACK TRUCK (@DaylonMack) <a href="https://twitter.com/DaylonMack/statuses/472069008477257728">May 29, 2014</a></blockquote>

20. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Murray looks like Manziel.

Sumlin did good.