1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas’ Long-Awaited Bullet Train Plans to Start Construction

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Nov 28, 2018.

1. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

I travel to Dallas, along with other places, fairly often throughout the year. I would say I travel about twice a month. Im pretty tied in with Southwest as an A-lister and have a free companion pass due to how much I use Southwest.

As much as I travel to Dallas, I would not use the train because whatever loyalty program they would have would get me nowhere I would personally like to travel for leisure.

In fact, if I had free points for the train to travel to only Dallas (since this is the only travel destination), I would ride the train only to take a **** in Dallas and take the next train back.

2. BleedsRocketRed

As someone who currently works for an airline, was a loyal customer and proponent of using airlines, and as someone who moved to a city with a mass transit system between major metro areas I can say without a doubt I prefer taking the train 10 out of 10 times. Its just so much easier. I can literally show up 10-15 mins before train departure, no security lines, no crowded gate areas, no crammed in seats with hardly any legroom, turbulence and delays, cancellations....etc. I can buy a tall boy of beer for a few bucks at the convenient store in station bring it on board and get comfortable and relax.

All of the issues with the current air travel industry are essentially eliminated. If done correctly, its a worry free, hassle free form of high speed travel. Its the best way to get around Asia and parts of Europe.

That coming here and effecting my line of work actually worries me. A lot of people just dont know what they are missing. People will adapt, especially once they realize the convenience and comfort outweighs any loyalty program nonsense. (of which benefits are being eroded over time)

Deckard likes this.
  3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Theoretically, but I have zero faith in the city of Houston to ever accomplish that.

As it stands now, if people want to take a day trip to Dallas, they can fairly easily. If people from Dallas want a day trip to Houston, it becomes unnecessarily tedious with the need to get an uber to do anything

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Then why do you call this a win for Dallas? Sounds like you are describing a win for Houstonian travellers/commuters.

You’re also making the station at 610 and I-10 sound like the suburbs. The Galleria area and businesses have interest for commuters and travellers.

#24 heypartner, Nov 29, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

This. Those belittling high speed rail in favor of Southwest's flying sardine cans have likely never used bullet trains. I'm excited about it, even though we haven't lived in Houston for many years, because if you build it, and the Japanese sure know how to build them, they will eventually be connected to Austin and SA.

Heck, we rode the first bullet train in Japan in 1965, less than a year after it began service. I was very impressed then, and even more impressed by the network of European high speed rail that we've ridden numerous times over the years. The Europeans and the Japanese that travel here are astonished that we don't have them. They are quiet, comfortable, very fast, and you can get work done on them easily.

6. TMac'n

I've riden the Shinkansen from Osaka to Kyoto. It took only 45 minutes, was an awesome experience, and extremely affordable (I wanna say about $40 USD one way, can't remember it was over 3 years ago).

Im not knocking on it as a bad mode of transportation. Im knocking on it for its limitations of destination as it stands today. Sure those in the northeast have an excellent train system that serves a vast array of destinations, but I doubt in my lifetime our bullet train will reach the destinations I would like to travel to leisurely. I enjoy traveling across the country for free thanks to my company paying for all my work trips. But in my lifetime the train is not going to serve destinations I personally will enjoy

Also im extremely pissed that it's going to be so close to my neighborhood. I don't live on rural farm land, i live in the freaking suburbs!

BleedsRocketRed, jcf and Deckard like this.
  7. Sajan

Sajan Member

If they can connect this rail to Austin, SA and New Orleans...it would be great.

When I was in Spain in April, I chose the high speed trains over the low cost airlines. Way easier to bring bags on board and not have to wait around baggage claim.
    Don't just compare travel times between airlines/driving/train. Compare the hassle. When you drive, you are taking a lot more risk for 3-4 hours. From accidents to flat tires to idiotic drivers.
    With flights, you have to add in 1-2 hours prior to departure and then similar time at the end of the trip.

Deckard, Killatron 2000 and jcf like this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I have no interest in Dallas whatsoever, but if this thing ever connects to Austin or San Antonio, I'll use it.

Killatron 2000 and LongTimeFan like this.
  9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Will this finish before the LA - SF train is the question.

10. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Just curious where that is? In the loop I’m guessing. I think we all live within earshot of one rail. I lived in the galleria for like 5 years...I preferred places where you can hear trains lol

11. TMac'n

So this is an old map. The decided route is the red line in the map below. The ending destination is Northwest Mall / 290 @ 610, not downtown

For those in Cypress, we are screwed. I have no idea if this will be elevated either. When I took the Shinkansen in Japan, parts were elevated and parts were not. Hard to tell when you're flying at 200 mph. If this is not elevated, traffic is gonna suck ass

[​IMG]

12. Sajan

Sajan Member

""For what it’s worth, Bullet trains are said to be safer than both flying and driving, with an impeccable accident-free record. That’s zero recorded collisions, derailments or fatalities on Japanese bullet trains over their 54-year history.""

Also a win for long distance relationship peeps? In 90 mins your girl can meet you for dinner after work! Even though I am not sure why you would want to date anyone from Dallas.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

No on-grade crossings with public roadways per their website.

14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I make the Houston to SPI drive several times a year. It sucks!

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Those on the northern side of Lakeland Village are gonna be right next to it. I'm a bit further south but can still see this being an inconvenience.

16. TMac'n

If im understanding correctly, you mean no rail & roadway crossing. Meaning this should be elevated 100%?

If so, that's a +1

How many years is this gonna take to build if its elevated? They're supposed to finish 290 next year, and now this? JEEESUS!!! F@CK 290!!!

17. TMac'n

Yep....

I already hear faint whistles of the current train. So I don't know wtf to expect from the bullet train

18. Buck Turgidson

Isn't this totally geared toward business travel?

How many actual tourists go from A-B and vice versa?

19. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Pls?

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

90 minutes Houston to Dallas? How much time at each terminal is the question.