1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans will sign Lamar Miller

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rocketpower2, Mar 9, 2016.

1. conquistador#11

slaton's rookie year man he was fun. then he said he was going to add weight....

2. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I agree. If healthy I could easily see a 1200 yd 10 td season

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Health is the big factor. He's never had a huge workload before, I think he gets that this season. I hope he can handle it.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Wrote this some posts back but even while being underutilized, he averaged close to 1000 yards and 10 TDs the last 2 years. He should break that here easily if our OL holds up

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I'm more worried about this signing than any of the others. Just not a big fan of investing a lot into the RB position.

6. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

This was the safest signing.

I couldn't handle another year of Alfred Blue. He annoys me as much as Hoyer.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

I wanted Forte and Elliot but this could work too.

8. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Same here. I think Forte would have been similar to Arian (Catching) - Elliot looked like a for sure pick a few months ago, I think he will be in the top 8 now.

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Not sure how it's safe when RBs are literally getting hurt every week in the NFL, and no-names are coming in and often doing better than the guys they replace.

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I like to grab a RB in the draft with our later picks; maybe someone that falls to us in the later rounds. I like Drake and CJ Proise(sp?) and Jordan Howard as well as some others but maybe I am being too optimistic on them being there at our pick later.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Forte didn't sign a cheap contract at four million a year and he is a complimentary back. Elliot wouldn't be there when we draft.

12. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

The problem with getting a guy like Forte is that he's 30 years old. You never know when his body will start breaking down. Usually 30-34 is the age when a lot of RBs start to break down.

While I don't think Miller is as good as Forte, Miller makes a lot more sense for the Texans given his age and the lack of mileage.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Very true. RBs are replaceable. He needs to produce at a very high level to be worth it, which I think he can, but we'll see.

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

That's why you draft a RB. You need two RBs in this league.

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

Often, but not often enough.

[​IMG]

16. Nook

Nook Member

Lamar Miller has little mileage and has a lot of upside. He has been very successful when he has played. I felt it was a very good signing and would expect him to be one of the best running backs in the NFL next season. He also has worked very hard on his weaknesses. He was a terrible blocker and mediocre pass receiver as a rookie. Now he is an above average blocker and is a capable receiver.

I agree with the sentiment that you draft running backs, but not high in the draft. The Texans have a couple capable ones, and if there is one they like in rounds 4-6 they should consider taking one.

17. Nook

Nook Member

Living 6 months out of the year in Chicago, I have seen all but a handful of his games as a Chicago Bear. He is a good player but is overhyped the last few years. He has so many receptions because the Bears offense breaks down, he is the last option.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a> gave Miller a $4m signing bonus, fully guaranteed base salaries of $1.5m and $5.5m and a $3.5m roster bonus due Wednesday. Whew</p>&mdash; Ben Volin (@BenVolin) <a href="https://twitter.com/BenVolin/status/709415465785958400">March 14, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

$6MM hit in Year 1. All guaranteed money in the first two years, another solid deal. People can talk about overspending but the cap is darting upwards and the team is slowly getting rid of the high priced veterans.

20. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I agree, wouldn't make much sense transitioning from Foster to Forte... he is a talented back but signing him makes more sense for a team like the Patriots. Miller was the best fit out of all the available RB's IMO. Very glad we signed him.