1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans want to upgrade the scoreboards at Reliant

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DreamRoxCoogFan, Dec 12, 2012.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I don't believe this to be true.

2. DBrunk01

DBrunk01 Member

Specifically, it comes from the Repair and Replacement Fund, which is funded by the hotel/rental/tourism taxes.

The important distinction is that hotel/rental car/tourism taxes pay for things other than the Repair and Replacement Fund. However, it's the money in this fund that is earmarked for things like this.

The only thing this vote is addressing is whether or not to use those funds are to be used for this. In other words, is this a worthy repair and replacement project. However, the money IN THIS FUND does not go to a variety of things except in very special circumstances (IE -- unexpected economic downturn making it necessary to use it to make bond payments).

Whether or not moneys from the specified taxes is a separate issue. If people wants those tax funds to be used for other things, that's reasonable, but a separate issue from using repair and replacement fund money for a scoreboard. Quite simply, things like this are exactly what that fund was created for in the first place.

3. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

You might be right but who's to say based on what we know. Maybe they are asking for a larger chunk, but if it gets a Super Bowl here and other high profile events, I am quite positive that the ROI would be positive (at least from a tax perspective, not necessarily on the entire cost of the screen but that's the Texans/Rodeo's problem if it isn't).

4. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

seal the roof, dont' refer to it as retractable, redirect that money to new scoreboard. winning.

5. DBrunk01

DBrunk01 Member

I mean no offense, but...

When the paperwork was filed with the county to create that fund, this was the stated explicit purpose. The Repair and Replacement Fund was created to set aside funds for repair and replacement costs related to Reliant Stadium.

So it doesn't really matter what we "believe". Legally, that's what it was set for.

Now, are they asking a higher amount of funds to go into this fund, thereby re-directing funds from other uses to this use? If so, I can see some validity to these arguments.

Even so, any investment requires cost, and the return on something like this is pretty big in regard to economic impact if it lures some of the aforementioned events to town.

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ignoring the knit picking...I'm all for it. The scoreboards are pretty crappy and $16 mill. really isn't that much in the scheme of things for a NFL team

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I agree. Cut the Check Billionare McNair.

Hell, he spend half of that just to keep Carr around.

8. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Sure, that's the sales pitch they're going with. And it has some merit, but I think it should be a joint project.

Bottom line remains; it diverts funds away from paying off the stadium and adds debt onto the taxpayer. Meanwhile, Moneybags McNair rofls all the way to his private island. Not exactly enthused about buying the owner of one of the world's top 10 most profitable sports franchises a shiny new toy.

9. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

True, but as stated before the funds are already allocated. And can be seen on a line item receipt. I'm looking a stack of rental car receipts from work right now that clearly list "Sports Authority Tax" as a line item. Along with "TX Mtr Vehicle Rntl Tax."

In Harris County the Sports tax is .0500% of the rental cost.

Motor Vehicle Local Sports and Community Venue

"All hotels and motels, regardless of size, must collect an occupancy tax from their guests. The total tax collected by the hotel is a combination of State, City, County and Houston Sports Authority occupancy taxes. However, the Harris County Tax Assessor-Collector collects only for Harris County and the Houston Sports Authority.."

Link

These taxes are already earmarked to be used for sports venues. The "variety of different things" you're reffering to include other city, state, and county taxes.

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I can't find any website telling me the size of the current screens, but they seem to be true Widescreen. :confused:

Toyota Center Large Screen(s) 58'x28'
    Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/lancema...ockets-upgrade-to-largest-video-board-in-nba/

Looks like robroy77 got his wish or at least Uncle Bob's attention back at the beginning of the year:
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=215805

Chronicle Reports it for October 24, 2012:
    http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/10/texans-discussing-new-digital-scoreboard-for-reliant/

11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Are you u dense? An idiot? How is sealing a roof going to generate or save money? What a dumbass....

12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

This is from the kid who wonders why women would like vibrating panties....lol.

You have no credibility.

13. G Zus Kryst

G Zus Kryst Rookie

hu payd 4 the astros and da rox hd screens?......mcnair iz a greedy owner

14. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

U mad bro?

You and D&D were made for each other.

15. speedball

speedball Contributing Member

Wow. Really? Still? I just felt like i fell into a time warp and traveled back to 2009.

16. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

You certainly look like you're having a blast in there. :)

17. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

it'll save money by not using the electricity to power it. now who's the dumbass? moran.

18. DreamRoxCoogFan

This is exactly my point. I think he should pay it himself. The tenant-landowner analogy doesn't apply to an NFL franchise.

19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL....save electricity? REALLY? LOL. Well, since you guys say they don't use it.....how would that save money? The roof being Translucent saves on the light bill. It would probably take 20 years the amount of electricity used to open the roof...to equal 16 million. I don't know if you are serious or not.....;)

Any yes...u are a dumbass.

20. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Texans use the venue 10 times a year and are only allowed to host 5 other events a year. The Rodeo and other tenants will get a lot more use out of the scoreboards than the Texans; hence, the system that's in place to fix and repair the building for all of its tenants through already agreed upon tax revenue sources that can’t be used for anything else.