1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans Training Camp Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Jet Blast, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Where you were wrong was that he hasn't outplayed Crick.

2. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Either numbers or they have found something they like on the waiver wire.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

and that somehow, despite not having to be accountable for anything apparently, he had done something that justified continuing his employment.

4. conquistador#11

i like the season starting the first week of september. it's how it was in the 90s and how it should be going forward.
    yeay training camp is over and very minimal casualties.

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

From what I saw Ricardo Matthews did outplay Crick, he was quick and relentless.
    But we didn't see all the practices, and Crick has enough experience that he's a proven NFL commodity. The coaches probably feel more comfortable relying on him.

I expect the Texans will stash him for an injury replacement and to bring to camp next year.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Crick was playing against starters and he plays a 2 gap role and does it really well, he's a part of the reason our starting front 7 is so good. Once Nix gets up to speed and takes over the starting NT role it'll be that much better.

7. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Debatable.

Crick is at -2.7 per PFF and Mathews is at -1.8.

I would put Crick in the same category as Mercilus in that he really needs to show something this year if he is going to stay on the team in the future.

8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

SportsNet Central said Nix is looks like a bust.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Is that Crick last year or so far in the preseason because he wasn't being used as the 2 gap DE that he is till this season.

10. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

LOL, he has been hurt.

And is 340lbs recovering from a knee injury....in his rookie year.

So early to make that call.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Way too early to start saying things like that, he's coming off of knee surgery and missed a lot of camp, if he hasn't proven himself by the end of the season, then we can start throwing the B word around.

12. Fantasma Negro

Ucla offensive line is terrible. Hundley is running for his life out there today

13. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>More Texans defensive cuts NT Mathews, ILBs Bullough, Young; OLB McAllister, CB Williams, DEs Browner, Warmsley.</p>&mdash; John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/statuses/505755696206331904">August 30, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>More Texans offensive cuts: WRs Nwachukwu, Bester; G Kupper, C Ferentz, TE Denham, G Irwin, OT Feiler.</p>&mdash; John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/statuses/505756113677991937">August 30, 2014</a></blockquote>

14. tmacfor35

I think the Texans are about to load up on guys that have been cut from other squads.

I am really surprised that they cut Max Bullough...

He looked like a play-maker and had potential to be better than the ILB's in front of him.

An obvious Scout Guy if I had to guess.

15. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Roster churn is about to get rid of most of if not all of these guys. Jamison is the only one safe IMO.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Looks like Ronnie Brown, Jason Ankrah, Shilioh Keo, Eddie Pleasant, Tim Jamison and Josh Victorian are safe for now. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a></p>&mdash; Dave Zangaro (@DZangaro) <a href="https://twitter.com/DZangaro/statuses/505758365839269888">August 30, 2014</a></blockquote>

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Same here, I really liked Max Bullogh despite his physical shortcomings, he has a really good head for the ILB position. Looks like someone who will become a linebacker coach one day.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Keo is very likely safe, he's one of if not the best special teams players on the roster.

18. tmacfor35

Aren't we all tired of having the Bryan Bramans of the world?

You need them, but I would like to have some guys that can actually be a bit more versatile.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

That is the way the Texans are structured. From the day he was hired, Rick Smith has been a waiter who takes orders from coaches. He gathers information, but Kubiak, Wade, (and now BOB by himself) have more influence on players drafted. Especially in the early rounds.

I'm no fan of Rick Smith at all, but perhaps because Charley Casserly was such a flaming disaster, McNair doesn't want much power invested in the GM position. That is why Smith survived. He didn't have to convince McNair of something everyone in the organization knows.

1 person likes this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Aren't you tired of having terrible special teams? I am.