1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans trade for Brandin Cooks

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by zeeshan2, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Juxtaposed Jolt

Minor quibble for anyone ready to pounce on the Texans / Nook - the "#2 pick" referenced here is a second round pick, not the #2 overall pick.

BoB would be fired, blacklisted and probably quartered / tarred / feathered if he traded away the #2 overall pick for Cooks lol

Junebball and hou$tonScrew$tonTX like this.
  2. Fantasma Negro

You're going to blame him for getting hit?

From all those concussions he's missed two games in the last four seasons

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Bob has proved there is nothing he can do to get fired. He blew a 24-0 lead & got outscored 51-7 in a playoff game. And still he has total control.

4. Nook

Nook Member

It isn’t about blame.

Do you know how concussions work? He cannot get endless concussions and last year he had to... and they were bad.

He is averaging a concussion a season, there is a really good chance he doesn’t play a lot longer.

Pringles, fallenphoenix, YOLO and 4 others like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

I am sorry for any confusion... a #2 is a second rounder... not the second overall pick in the draft.

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  6. blackistan

blackistan Member

My God I never thought I'd be missing Rick Smith...this just keeps getting worse WOW

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

If you take out the whole concussion thing it's still a horrible trade.

We basically traded Hopkins and a chance to move up in the draft for this guy. The 2nd round pick was probably more valubale than him. Rams fans initially were just happy to get rid of his contract...so yeah...that tells you what we got here.

Also it's just so puzzling, what are we doing, trying to win now? So why did we trade Hopkins away for this? It makes no sense.

As for the concussion issues...Cooks is a good receiver but in the NFL durability is ALWAYS a concern and it may as well be a skill. You can't just wave that away and ignore it. Durability makes and breaks careers in the NFL and he does not have it.

Another concussion and he might be forced to retire.

ALSO, the best case scenario, he plays like he did in 2018...oh, and he has to be re-signed and knowing BOB's mentality that means traded well below his value anyways. It made all the sense in the world to just keep Hopkins and work on his contract...just draft a RB and throw guys out there, that's what most teams do that don't have an elite RB any ways. You can tell that this move was made by someone that does not plan at all past the current season.

Nook, YOLO, Ottomaton and 2 others like this.
  8. Fantasma Negro

That's why he's basically on a one year deal

9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Then you just traded a second round draft pick for a one year rental.

Its not as bad as the Hopkins trade, I guess? "Better than one of the worst trades in NFL history" is a pretty low bar if that's what gets people excited. It's merely a bad trade, not a disastrous, ruinous one. Yay team.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Hey the Texans will spin it as progress... just be patient, give the organization and BOB some more time to figure it out.

Pringles likes this.
  11. PhiSlammaJamma

Is this a Casey Affleck movie. What are you guys doing, lol. It's sad. sad. sad. You are just handing the division to the Titans.

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

13. Jwise44

Jwise44 Member

The two aren’t mutually exclusive...a second and a running back at 10+mil that the cards wanted to dump can NOT be enough for nuk and that same second can be TOO MUCH for a wide receiver on his 4th team with 5 concussions that the rams wanted to dump (and if it’s only a one year deal it’s too much for a one year deal player)

I get being optimistic because we root for them (I’m hoping everything works out), but how can you look at all these recent deals (including Cobb and Murray’s deals) and defend them like this?/crap on people for being upset with the moves.

If it works out, we will all be happy, but we’re allowed to think these moves are dumb.

hou$tonScrew$tonTX likes this.
  14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I would consider this a slight overpay to address an area of need. If you consider nothing else I don't think this is all that bad a move.

But it's impossible to ignore how this position very recently became an area of need. I've long since run out of insults, I've just accepted that we have an idiot with complete, unquestioned control of the franchise. I wish the stupid ass fans fans would stop spending money so ownership may actually take action, but they won't. We're an also ran franchise that's perfectly happy to be an also ran franchise. So long as they can cash checks and idiots can tailgate, everything's good.

Between this and broke ass Tilman, we've got some hopeless years looming.

hou$tonScrew$tonTX and Nook like this.
  15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

16. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

17. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

At least we're not playing the Seahawks this year...

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  18. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Injury is the x-factor but that's always the case. Despite that it appears BOB is surrounding Watson with small, speedy or shifty, weapons, all across the field. This is like a old and busted version of the Pats 2017, with Burkhead, Lewis, White, Amendola, Cooks!, Dorsett, etc...

We'll see what happens.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

20. Fantasma Negro

This is the same idiot that predicted the 49ers to go 3-13 and they made it to the superbowl so, thanks for the blessing

Rudyc281 likes this.