1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans trade DeAndre Hopkins to Arizona

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Mar 16, 2020.

1. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

this dude is so lost man... i can be a better GM than this bozo

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

“You’re not talking to 31 other teams,” O’Brien said. “You’re finding a trade partner that’s going to be able to pay DeAndre Hopkins. Once we found that team that could afford DeAndre Hopkins in the future, then we determined what the trade was."

conquistador#11 likes this.
  3. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know how trades work but my first thought was, "who cares if they have to pay Hop? Let that be whoever team that trades for him issue" I know some teams will want to know certain details but if he's not with us, I don't care if another team can pay him or not. BOB should've got max or close to max value and he didn't.

conquistador#11 and BossHogg713 like this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

New #Texans RB David Johnson said he and his wife were on vacation when they found out he was traded to Houston. Said they were excited, and that he knows he needs to hone in on staying healthy.

— Vanessa Richardson (@KPRC2Vanessa) April 17, 2020

David Johnson: "I have that chip back on my shoulder … I want to get back to 2016 if not better than 2016." #Texans

— SportsRadio 610 (@SportsRadio610) April 17, 2020

New #Texans RB @DavidJohnson31 : "Last season was just rough with some minor injuries, they said they were going with the hot hand with Chase & Kenyan. I’m excited & I want to be an every down back for this team."

— Adam Wexler (@AdamJWexler) April 17, 2020

David Johnson: "Last was season was just rough. Had little nicks and bruises with minor injuries, nothing major. Kliff told me they were going with the hot hand … and it was hard to bounce back from that." #Texans

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yeah, this is the part of the trade that has never made a lick of sense to me: how did teams know about Hopkins' contract demands? They cannot have contact with Hopkins prior to any consummated deal and the Texans have ZERO obligation to mention - or, as the case seems to be - care about their future salary cap ramifications. The only financial consideration is whether the trade partner can afford his current contract.

My god, if the Texans were OPENLY TALKING ABOUT DEANDRE HOPKINS' CONTRACT SITUATION............................... This rockets to a whole new level of dumb.

DatRocketFan, SWTsig and TEXNIFICENT like this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

David Johnson mentioned Houston as a "clean slate with a new team". Says he will go back to handling the game in a lot of ways he did in his rookie year, from a preparation and medical standpoint. #Texans

#Texans RB DavidJohnson31</a> on <a href="https://twitter.com/deshaunwatson?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">deshaunwatson : "We've texted a couple times. I've watched him ever since college (incl. CFB championship in Glendale in person). I think it will be tremendous what we can do together."

— Adam Wexler (@AdamJWexler) April 17, 2020

7. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

It’s utter incompetence. OB trying to explain it away saying “well there was a limited pool of trade partners”..... NO ONE MADE YOU TRADE HIM! We had Hop under contract for not 1, not 2, but THREE MORE YEARS. Unless you thought he was going to retire, there was absolutely ZERO pressure to move him ASAP.

To think that he may have expressed Hop’s desire to get a new contract w potential trade partners would be so on par w this guys total ineptitude. It’s almost as if he has literally no idea what he’s doing.

Btw it’s almost as frustrating that not one of our “reporters” pressed him on that, nor did they implore him to explain the return he got in light of the return Minny got for Diggs. These people had days and really weeks to prepare for this “press conference” and yet they failed to ask some of the most important questions. Our local journalists are so feeble.

Hey Now! and TheRealist137 like this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. awc713

awc713 Member

I admittedly did not watch Johnson the last few years. His stats were putrid in 2019, but the Cardinals have been a shotty team with a porous line. Is he actually done?Are we about to go through Ahmad Green 2.0? I'm trying to be optimistic...I mean, Hyde was basically free grabs last year and he rushed for 1000 yards. Johnson obviously needs to be heathy...but surely we see something in him. An interesting wrinkle is always having receiving options now.We should be able to run routes from RB, slot, and from outside...right? We really need killer TE work to make it all run smoothly. And of course we need a great defense which we don't have. Best case scenario is Johnson still has some Foster-esque seasons, at least when combined with Duke.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

Under the same Cardinals shotty team with a porous line

(Stats via Pro Football Focus)

Kenyan Drake 2019

Carries - 171
    Yards per attempt - 4.8
    Yards after contact - 2.69
    Forced missed tackle rate - 17.0%
    Explosive run rate - 12.9%

Chase Edmonds 2019

Carries - 60
    Yards per attempt - 5.1
    Yards after contact - 2.95
    Forced missed tackle rate - 13.3%
    Explosive run rate - 15.0%

David Johnson 2019

Carries - 94
    Yards per attempt - 3.7
    Yards after contact - 2.05
    Forced missed tackle rate - 6.4%
    Explosive run rate - 8.5%

David Johnson 2018

Carries - 258
    Yards per attempt - 3.6
    Yards after contact - 2.38
    Forced missed tackle rate - 8.5%
    Explosive run rate - 7.8%

David Johnson 2016

Carries - 293
    Yards per attempt - 4.2
    Yards after contact - 2.53
    Forced missed tackle rate - 15%
    Explosive run rate - 11.6%[/QUOTE]

awc713 likes this.
  11. conquistador#11

I'm with you in the first paragraph. But I don't think in his mind he's inept. Once he's felt 'crossed' and that player insults the 'patriots way culture', the only value he fixates on is ... the get him the hell out of here part. biggest fear of him becoming the GM has come to fruition, which was doing everything on emotion. Now I believe Tom Savage when he said, "I've never seen anything like it" when talking about the Brock vs Teapot at halftime.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Yet we still have fans like Scarface defending this dumb fk. No wonder "hopkins trade return" got lowered, BoB intentionally or ignornantly lower it himself. Who goes to negotiation and reveals everything? Jeezus christ the level of incompetence is astounding.

Trading 101
    U trade to the highest bidder or one that give u most value. who the fk cares if the other team has enough cap space, its up to the opposing Gm to figure that sht out, not u.

More frustrating when our dumbass coach says sht like this and we have dumbasses still defending him.

#1372 DatRocketFan, Apr 17, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    King1 and TheRealist137 like this.
  13. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

O'Brien is a tool...

HOWEVER, Hopkins response in a phone conference today about if he will take part in Arizona's virtual offseason program was that it was up to his agent and the organization. It is clear as day he wants more money to the point that he may not show up for even a virtual offseason.

That is an awkward situation to have for 3 seasons in a locker room if you "force" him to play under his current deal.

Outside of the low return for Hopkins I'm not that upset about the trade. The Ravens and Chiefs are leaps and bounds better and don't see that changing considereing we don't have a 1st round pick and don't have a ton of cap space because we have to pay Tunsil and Watson. We could be the 3 seed or miss the playoffs. Hopkins or not it isn't ending with a Super Bowl win.

TheFreak likes this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

misinformation

Hopkins said on Friday, via multiple reporters, that he’ll let his agent and the team handle contract matters while he works to settle in with his new team during its virtual offseason program.

And with that said, nothing to see here

15. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

From ESPN...

When asked if he'll take part in the Cardinals' virtual offseason program, Hopkins said that's between his agent and the team.

"I play football for a living," Hopkins said. "And I want to do everything I can to catch up with the team when the day comes when I can."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29049873/deandre-hopkins-says-trade-cardinals-big-surprise

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

ok. are you reading the entire thing. that's the problem with taking bits and pieces. The headline would be completely different if there was something wrong there. There isn't

"I play football for a living," Hopkins said. "And I want to do everything I can to catch up with the team when the day comes when I can."

So far, Hopkins said he has been talking with Cardinals quarterback Kyler Murray to go over Arizona's up-tempo offense. Hopkins isn't concerned about not picking it up, saying communication will be the most important part of his learning curve.

Hopkins declined to shed any light on potential negotiations or talks, which Cardinals general manager Steve Keim said Wednesday had begun with Hopkins' agent, Todd France.

"That's between my agent and the organization," Hopkins said. "DeAndre Hopkins goes out and works out every day to prepare myself to get my team the opportunity to win a championship whenever that's possible. So, you know, everything behind closed doors, that's between my agent and the organization."

17. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I don't know what you are getting at. I quoted the ESPN article. Yes, I read the whole article.

THIS IS A DIRECT QUOTE FROM THE ARTICLE:

"When asked if he'll take part in the Cardinals' virtual offseason program, Hopkins said that's between his agent and the team."

That is what the ESPN reporter believed after being on the call. I don't know what else to say.

Does that sound like I am showing up for the virtual offseason even if they don't give me a new contract? He already held out here for a couple days after showing up to camp. Not sure why this is a surprise to anyone.

The talk of doing whatever it takes to win is a bunch of player/agent talk when trying to get a new contract. He's not going to say I'm going to sit on my butt and do nothing until I get a new contract.

I doubt we will ever know because Arizona is probably going to give him the new contract before it becomes an issue.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

you're making it something it isn't. quit looking for a reason to smear hopkins name. such a shame. nothing is there.

hopkins on his own account is way ahead of the virtual offseason that is completely voluntary. its some red flag to you for who knows what

19. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

It doesn't look like he's trying to paint the picture of Hopkins being this low character AB type of diva individual. We all know from experience that he is a true consummate professional.

He pointed out facts; has Hopkins held out while he was with the Texans? Yes, for a breif miniscule moment in time. Did he say it was up to his agent and the team whether he would attend these "voluntary virtual workouts"? Yes, per the article.

He didn't attempt to paint Hopkins in a bad light, he just gave his opinion about it needing to be (and quite possibly being) resolved prior to the workout sessions beginning.

You really are blowing his post out of proportion and I see it only fit to blame this all on BOB. So, we good? :D

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

putting Hopkins in a bad light was absolutely the direction it was going to. apparently being some awkward situation and clear as day to not show up for a voluntary virtual offseason when if you read the entire article as well as other reports it says

Hopkins said on Friday, via multiple reporters, that he’ll let his agent and the team handle contract matters while he works to settle in with his new team during its virtual offseason program.

and yeah BoB is still a moron

#1380 YOLO, Apr 17, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2020