1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans to sign Patrick Ramsey

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by liamrock, Feb 27, 2009.

1. liamrock

liamrock Contributing Member

The Texans are expected to sign free agent Patrick Ramsey to replace Sage Rosenfels as Matt Schaub's backup.

This is a severe downgrade. Ramsey knows Gary Kubiak's offense after his stay in Denver, but the former first-round pick had elbow problems in 2008 and has never been a good quarterback. Alex Brink couldn't be that much worse.
    Source: National Football Post

From Rotoworld

2. conquistador#11

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

4. adw

adw SuperClutchMan

5. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

I rather have Ramsey and 4th rounder than Sage...

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Not much of a downgrade...considering the fact that he will have some sick weapons surrounding him on offense, Im sure he can handle the back up duties just fine.

Im more than happy with Ramsey as the QB if it means we pick up the 4th rounder for Sage.

7. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I think he'll be alright in spot-duty.

I'm not sure how accurate this reporters track record is. Nothing from Mcclain on this, and he's usually the first to break anything.

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

It's amazing that people have such limited memories. These opinions are almost identical to the opinions people had three years ago when the Texans signed Rosenfels. Almost identical. Likewise, Ramsey's production in the league is equivalent to (or perhaps slightly better than) Rosenfels' production at the time he was signed.

Say it with me, folks: dime a dozen. Get Ramsey acclimated to an offense he's already comfortable with, and he'll be just fine. He's not good enough to be a starter, but neither was Rosenfels. For spot duty, he'll do the job.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Seriously. Hopefully we won't get the 4th rounder taken away because of all this OTA nonsense.

All Ramsey has to do is hold onto the ball and keep the int's down. That would make him better than Sage.

10. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

the key phrase is "spot duty"

cause Glass Schaub isn't the most durable qb and could go down and be out for more then one game...as usual

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I've never seen so much offseason consternation about a backup QB before.

12. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Exactly.

Plus, I think having an improved OLine...pro bowl TE, all world WR, and a stud RB will make any QB's job easier.

There is no reason why he couldnt play at least to the level of Rosenfels.

Good signing, glad to get it out of the way and start looking at other positions of need.

13. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

I actually like the idea of Ramsey as our backup. Hopefully we won't have to see him often on the field, tho!

The extra fourth-rounder is nice. We should be able to find some defensive value with that.

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Exactly. For the most part, the role of the backup quarterback is overrated. If you truly have to depend on your backup for anything more than spot duty, count your season goodbye. Now, yes, there are special circumstances where there is that hidden gem on the bench...but those are exceedingly rare, and in most cases, even when surrounded by a team that previously went 18-1 the prior year, even when you come in and put up great stats, etc., the team is still likely to miss the playoffs...like last Patriots last year.

I don't think that means one should sign a crappy backup...get the most bang for the buck you can there, for sure. I'm just glad someone is signed and maybe now they can focus on improving areas of the team that actually need more help (defense).

15. RocketJedi

RocketJedi Member

You are correct. That was my first thought, no one thought signing Sage was a big deal when it happened.

16. Summer Song Giver

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I wouldn't be suprised if the Texans still end up drafting a QB at some point in the draft.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

so high

so high

so high up in the sky

watch patrick ramsey play as the texans play their little football games

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

so now you are saying rosenfels was a good backup?