1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans to hire Bobby Slowik as OC

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by hlmbasketball, Feb 12, 2023.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Slowik is following Ben Johnson's lead. Do something great before moving on to a HC position.

2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Interesting that he gets a new deal after one year. I wonder what players think of that.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

His in game play sequencing was absolute garbage for most of the season, but his overall scheme was excellent and doesn't get enough credit around here for helping Stroud be as good as he was.

I look forward to seeing how he grows in his second year as a play caller, hopefully with a running game that can carry it's weight. Aside from predictability, one of his biggest issues was that he never seemed to adjust to a poor running game and continued to call plays as if it were a productive one.

5. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Now we just have to hope Jerrod Johnson doesn't jump ship.

6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He got extended too

7. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Is Cal still paying off Cully and Lovie Smith's staff on top of this?

raining threes likes this.
  8. raining threes

Awesome

9. raining threes

The offense is based off of the run game. How many more times did you want Stroud to throw the ball? I mean even though what I posted above is true, the Texans are a passing team that just needs to give Stroud more weapons.

Sooty and ROCKSS like this.
  10. Fantasma Negro

Division title and playoff victory with a rookie in his first year calling plays. I think the players especially the rookie of the year qb are thrilled.

11. Fantasma Negro

From Culley's original staff, only Frank Ross, Ben McDaniels, and Dino Vasso remain coaching for the Texans. While Dylan Thompson is still employed he, the strength coaches and (because Nick has been friends with him since college) Frank Ross are Nick hires so they don't count as Culley guys. Only two assistants can be counted as retained from Culley's tenure.
    As for Lovie's staff, Jacques Cesaire's contract has expired, suggesting that those not retained may also have seen their contracts come to an end. This implies that the coaches not retained from Culley's regime likely had two-year contracts that expired last year, freeing up a substantial amount of money for Big Hat Bobby and his boy Jerod lol. I don't know who is advising Cal now but whoever it is, that mutha****er needs a raise too!!

#671 Fantasma Negro, Jan 31, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2024
    ROCKSS, cmoak1982 and raining threes like this.
  12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

From the standpoint of having the ability to get a new deal after one year. Players can’t usually do that. But I suppose free agency is different for coaches so maybe they don’t care.

13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Just a reminder, players are working within the parameters of the NFL Master agreement which governs free agency and contact with competitors seeking employment. Coaches are not.

Traditionally, coaches under contract are permitted to pursue advancement, but not lateral moves without compensation. It's one reason for the proliferation of titles as they try to retain desirable coaches. There is obviously an ability to increase compensation like Slowik did to make staying less financially harmful compared to a Head Coaching position. The nuance is whether a title like ast head coach is used for a lateral move. But as I mentioned, it is not governed by the Master Agreement like players are.

ps Master Agreement is a baseball label, but the NFL has it's equivalent.

#673 Marshall Bryant, Jan 31, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2024
    Sooty and raining threes like this.
  14. SuraGotMadHops

Bae
    [​IMG]

clos4life, Sooty, ROCKSS and 4 others like this.
  15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Unless they don't like him, probably thrilled. Why wouldn't they be?

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

CJ made us all forget that this offense was built around a rookie QB. Accomplishing what they did is virtually impossible, and it's really hard to look at that and call *any* aspect of Slowick's season "absolute garbage," especially when you consider their OL wasn't good and perpetually injured; their running backs were not very good; their second best offensive weapon was a rookie who missed ~10 games; their receiving corps was hurt constantly; and, early, the defense was not very good. It wasn't great every series, obviously - but way more often than not, he put that team in position to succeed.

There's a reason he was a hot coaching candidate: his degree of difficulty was nearly incalculable.

raining threes and houstonstime like this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

"Basic Agreement" is the MLB term, commonly known as the CBA.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Right?...let's talk about all the bullsh!t the Texans offense had to deal with this season, especially early.

GO:

ROCKSS and raining threes like this.
  19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

When Slowik is in his bag he be doing some amazing stuff. It's when Slowik gets cute you wanna throw him away. hoping he grows more in his second year.

20. HeyBudLetsParty

Pretty accurate assessment, but you also have to take into account the oline injuries and Stroud being in his first couple months of NFL offense. I think he got much better as a play caller, incorporating shots as he and Stroud got more comfortable as play-caller/ OC.

I’d be willing to bet with a sophomore Stroud, good health, and a couple of upgrades at the skill position, Bobby will take a big leap in 2024.

ROCKSS and raining threes like this.