1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans Sign TE Bruerer

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by leroy, Mar 22, 2004.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

HOUSTON (Ticker) - Mark Bruener, the starting tight end for the Pittsburgh Steelers for eight years before losing his job last season, signed as a free agent with the Houston Texans on Monday.

Terms were not disclosed.

Bruener was a first-round pick of the Steelers in 1995 and was a starter before injuries forced him to lose his job to Jay Riemersma last season. He had just two catches for 12 yards in 2003.

The 31-year-old Bruener has a reputation as a dependable blocker and has 137 catches for 1,197 yards and 16 touchdowns. He has appeared in 125 NFL games and started 108. As a rookie, he started in Super Bowl XXX against the Dallas Cowboys.

Not sure what, if any, impact this has. I wonder if they're worried about last years 2nd rounder, Bennie Jopru.

2. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

I don't get the Texans infatuation with TEs. We had Billy Miller lead the team in receptions (and score their first TD too, if i'm not mistaken), then we went and drafted Jabari Holloway and Bennie Joppru. Now we sign yet another TE, even though in all likelihood, he won't even see significant playing time. I guess instead of trying to shore up the OL, they want to get blocking TEs so DD can just run it to the outside?

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

At least get your info right.

Jabari Holloway was a fe signing after released by the Pats.

Also, Miller is a converted WR. He can't block to save his life.

4. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I've got a tight end, Maybe the Texans will sign me.

anyone care to list the multitude of tight ends we now have on the roster?

5. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Sorry:eek:

6. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Bruener is a good run-blocker and can prob teach Joppru a thing or two.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Could have done without that one. :rolleyes:

We now have...

Bruener
    Miller
    Joppru
    Holloway
    Rashod Kent

I imagine that at least one of these guys (most likely Kent) will not be on the active roster or with the team at all next season.

8. Buck Turgidson

Exactly! If only they had gone out & signed a starting lineman the past 2 offseasons...

9. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I agree it will probably be Kent that doesn't make it, but I have been hearing how much talent he has and how it will burn us in the future.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

do i detect a hint of sarcasm?? :)

11. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Yeah, I don't get their infatuation with TE's either. You have your TE lead the team in receptions in year one, so then you consequently go and draft another offensive TE (and too early many will say). Then you sign free agent TE's who are basically just blockers. What the hell Texans?:confused:

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

You forgot Seth Wand. He started two games at TE this year. I think the Texans got Bruerer because they want to run jumbo packages, but other teams don't take Seth Wand serious as a receiver. I expect to see him contribute to three offensive plays a game.

13. codell

codell Contributing Member

That's because Wand is not a receiver. He is an offensive tackle who played TE because of injuries and certain packages.

If you believe what John McClain says, Wand has a shot to be the starting LT to open up the season, with Pitts moving over to LG. He seemed to insinuate such a few weeks ago.

14. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

When I heard he visisted, I was like, why?

Now that he's here, I'm still like, why?

But a good blocker is what J was for, our future TE...

15. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

Bruener is among the best blocking tight ends in the game. I expect him to share te duties with Miller just as Holloway did this year. Remember the Texans do run quite a few plays out of the double tight end set and he will be very useful in that.