1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans sign Ryan Fitzpatrick

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Commodore, Mar 20, 2014.

1. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Im assuming Yates will be gone, IDK about Keenum... the fact that Yates didn't get another shot last year even when we lost 14 straight games doesn't bode well for him.

2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I would say both get the axe.

Why layover any other failure QBs from the old regime that have no sentimental value the way they did with the ex-coach. At least that's the way I see them viewing the situation.

3. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Same to me goes with Foster. He was the product of a one cut zone blocking Kubiak-scheme. How do you guys think he will do under OBrien?

4. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

one cut backs arent tied to the hip of zb schemes. i dont know yet if hes a product of the scheme. hes very elusive and has great field vision. i would be more concerned with the way o'brien uses the short passing game to replace the run game.. arians touches and importance might decrease and then he might not be worth what hes getting paid..

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yates got passed up by Keenum, he's gone for sure. Keenum could end up the starter if he beats out Fitz in camp

6. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Arian is good on screens and short dump offs. I would still like for them to sign a big RB for goalline carries

7. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Arian is the best back in the NFL on goal line situations

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Prove it.

The Texans were notorious for giving Arian multiple opportunities to score at the goal line. That doesn't necessarily mean he is the best, it means he had the best chance. I'd like to see what % of his goal line runs actually converted to touchdowns vs some of his peers.

What it looked like to me is that he was good at it, but was helped tremendously by the fact that Kubiak wasn't good at coming up with a way to score in the Red Zone EXCEPT giving it to Arian until he punched it in.

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

They're both cheap at the moment. I kind of expect both to be in camp. One, possibly both, will get cut before the season.

But that was a Kubiak decision. I don't think that decision holds any weight with O'Brien. I don't think O'Brien's going to put too much stock into how Kubes handled the QB situation last year. He's going to do his own evaluations in training camp.

It wouldn't surprise me to see either or both cut.

10. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I don't believe Arian will be affected much by the regime/scheme change. My biggest concern this upcoming season would be 1A. Health and 1B. Ware/Tear. We need a viable backup so that we're not running him to the ground the way Kubiak did.

Arian should be ok so long as he holds up health wise. I'm more worried about getting him a great QB that he can compliment in the backfield.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

http://thefakefootball.com/goal-line-running-back-production/

Of guys who got 10 or more attempts in 2011-2012 Arian ranks 12th.

Of guys who got 20 or more attempts (probably "starting" RBs) Arian ranks 6th.

12. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

I dont know what to think about this signing. He was alright for a couple of years with STL, but hasn't been very good at all lately. If he could be the QB that schooled the Texans at Reliant, then it's all good.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

So like I said, good, but not the best.

Although he may still be the best but was hurt by Kubiak's red zone offense.

Who knows.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Not to mention the fact that more carries probably reduces his success rate.

Notice how the most successful guys on that list are the dudes who don't carry the rock that often. Kind of like how if you look at the top rated QBs, the first 20 guys in the list probably threw less than 10 passes all year, heh :)

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>New <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Texans&amp;src=hash">#Texans</a> QB Ryan Fitzpatrick will earn $4 M in year one of his two-year deal. And guarantees are in year one. None in year two.</p>&mdash; Adam Caplan (@caplannfl) <a href="https://twitter.com/caplannfl/statuses/447054178037551104">March 21, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Awesome, so basically a 1 year deal if that's what we end up wanting.

I want to fast forward 12 months...we'll be in a much healthier position.

17. Remii

Remii Member

The point you're missing is that if YOU know Kubiak wasn't good at coming up with ways to score in the red zone except for giving the ball to Foster _ than of course every defense the Texans played knew that as well and would gear up to stop Foster and couldn't. If you look at it that way it shows just how good Foster is (or was)...

18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I'm hoping this means Rick Smith is turning into Africa Smokey now.

19. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

GD autocorrect! I meant Darick Smorey not Africa Smokey. Dumb.

20. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Yeah, it's not like we're completely abandoning the zone blocking scheme. Most teams run it to some degree. And at one point we were trying to get the son of Kirk Ferentz, a pioneer of the ZBS, to be our OL coach. And it's not like we're going to become a smashmouth power running team.