1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans sign Ryan Fitzpatrick

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Commodore, Mar 20, 2014.

1. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Wouldn't it make more sense to take the hit this yr and have more space when they are closer to contending?

2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

4. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Schaub trade would make sense...but i highly doubt that they would ever wait till June 1st to officially release Matt. The trade scenario could be likely for a late round pick, or perhaps the Texans may just flat out release him Friday. Regardless, this entire period is a definite wait and see. I honestly have no clue what this Fitzpatrick signing implies for the Texans future. Will it mean that the Texans are more apt to drafting a QB with the#1 pick? Are they really considering running a tandem of Fitzpatrick and Keenum?

5. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Interesting because this is the most Morey-Like move the Texans have made that I can remember.

Mostly because it is signing a guy who still have a lot to prove to the league and now he is on a cheap contract signing a position that is desperately needed at Houston.

It also says this move is a move that leads to two or three other moves that would make this move make even more sense.

It MOSTLY says to me: "Morey, you have spoiled my fanhood as far as expectations in sports management is concerned." LOL. Okay, that has nothing to do with Fitzpatrick. But, Morey really has spoiled me.

1 person likes this.
  6. meh

meh Contributing Member

Wouldn't it be typical Texans to think they can win THIS year because they were 12-4 2 years ago? I mean, you would think with Fitzpatrick or any rookie QB their upside is limited. But when has that ever stopped the Texans from thinking short term instead of long term?

7. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

this signing only means Schaub will get cut.
    and if they draft a QB, it means Yates, its gone.

if I was the texans GM, my QB roster would be (not in order):
    QB drafted (it could be in the 1st or 2nd round)
    Keenum
    Fitzpatrick

8. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

There is zero chance that the Texans keep 3 QBs if they invest in a 1st or 2nd round QB prospect...tbh.

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Especially holding any over from the old regime.

You really think BOB and staff have any sentimental attachments to Yates or Keenum the way Kubiak did? If you thought Schaub was minced meat I couldn't imagine what those two are in his eyes, raw poultry maybe.

10. cardpire

cardpire Member

LOL...There are people who think that they signed Fitzpatrick to back up Matt Schaub???

Seriously???

11. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So, cap space should be down to around $6.5 - $7.5 million, right?

12. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Member

One thing i think it does do is eliminate a trade for a guy like Mallett or Cousins. I'm glad too.

13. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I don't think it necessarily does that. His role is most likely that of a backup, possibly temporary starter until a rookie is ready to go a la Kurt Warner to Eli Manning. The Texans are still looking for a long term starter. If they feel like there's one available at #1, the presence of Fitzpatrick isn't going to stop them drafting a QB first overall. Likewise, if O'Brien wants Mallett as his starter and is willing to trade for him, this signing doesn't prevent them from doing that either. In either case, we would have a guy with starting experience playing behind a guy with no (or virtually no) NFL playing experience just in case.

The only thing I think this signing definitively means is that whatever slim chance there was of Schaub possibly remaining on the roster is now gone. It doesn't mean we now have our starter on the roster, it doesn't mean we won't draft a QB or won't draft one #1, and it doesn't mean we won't trade for one. Those are still options. It just means that Fitzpatrick is the vet QB we all knew the Texans were going to get.

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I agree it's murky, but I think we can deduce two things:

1). Fitzpatrick was brought in to be a back-up/bridge QB. That's what the contract says.
    2). Matt Schaub will be traded or released.

Solid move.

I don't think this move clears up the uncertainty regarding what the Texans will do with the first pick. Fitzpatrick can start and win games. I'd argue Schaub is better, but was gone no matter what. And we'll essentially be swapping out their cap holds. Fitzpatrick was probably the best option out there (not named Vick) and will fill the same roll. We'll draft a QB but who knows which round. Nothing's changed where the draft is concerned.

...I too am spoiled by Morey! Comparing Morey to Rick Smith is like comparing MLK to Jessie Jackson Jr.

15. Remii

Remii Member

I don't want to be "that guy" but THIS IS TEXAS... Fans here treated Moon like 54!t and they dog out VY on the daily and he didn't even play pro ball here. A lot of these fans wanted to trade Harden (probably still do) but Parsons can do no wrong. Bagwell and Cushing using drugs is perfectly fine but Foster who is the best player to ever lace em up for the Texans knocks up his side chick and oh the outrage.

If you're insinuating that Bob McNair doesn't want to draft Teddy because he's black _ I don't know... But I do know if Teddy was my kid, I wouldn't want him to play in this city because the fans here won't be as patient with him as they were with Carr and Schaub.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Good post.

This does significantly lower the Texans leverage in Schaub trade talks, but it's not like the 6th-7th rounder they were going to get for him was really of any consequence.

______

Crazy hypothetical for the day:

Texans draft a QB with the 1st, 33rd, or 65th overall pick.

Texans deem QB not ready to start year 1, Fitzpatrick starts, Texans win 8-10 games and/or make the playoffs.

Good problem to have, but what do you do year 2?

17. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Wow. I'd argue that Warren Moon, Earl Campbell, Clyde Drexler, Hakeem Olajuwon, Andre Johnson, Calvin Murphy, just to name a few, are all beloved in this city. Harden gets criticism cause he's a ball hog at times. VY gets called out cause so many people thought he should have been Houston's pick over Mario Williams but he sucked and couldn't check his ego. And most Rockets fans are actually critical of Parsons cause he is not a third star like the team may want you to believe. Bags and Biggio definitely got criticised for being no-shows in the playoffs. Bags doing steroids, besides admitting to andro, is pure speculation. And nobody cares about Cushing cause he's a beast and it's football. Seriously c'mon!

18. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Cap space goes down 3.5 million. He was set to make 14 million...by trading him, we endure 10.5 million in dead money.

We will have a lot of money to play with come next year.

10.5 million extra from Schaub.
    6 million comes off the books with Manning's deal ending.
    Cutting JJo adds 9 million to cap (or keep him at 12.25 million).
    Cutting Foster adds 4 million to cap (or keep him at 9 million).
    Cutting Myers adds 6 million to cap (or keep him at 8 million).

I dont see JJo, Foster, and/or Myers being on this team beyond this upcoming season. JJo could save his job if he has a stellar season, but I think this will be the end of the line with Foster and Myers.

We could potentially have an extra 35.5 million on top of what we dont use this season, on top of any rise in salary cap for next season. We could be looking at 45 million of cap space.

Granted, we need to set aside a decent amount for Watt, but Im pretty confident that with some normal planning, the Texans will be competing in 2015.

/derail

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You'd argue that because it's true, he was just trolling the thread like always, trying to get a rise out of people. It's best to just ignore people like that because they don't even believe the BS they spew.

20. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

One of the dumbest posts I've seen in a while, and that is saying alot.