1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans sign Ryan Fitzpatrick

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Commodore, Mar 20, 2014.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I agree. You're not paying what would essentially amount to 8.25MM (3.75MM for Fitz + 4.5MM you lose for keeping Schaub) for two backup quarterbacks.

2. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

how is that even relatable? harden didnt post those numbers due to a lack of effort..

3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

It wouldn't have mattered, regardless. BOB and crew stated long before this process began that they would bring in a veteran to mentor the rookie QB we drafted this year. We knew it wasn't going to be Schaub, but if anyone was truly a fringe "starting caliber" QB it was McCown, that's why the Insane Clowney Posse were geared up for that visit he had scheduled to Houston. Unfortunately for them it never came to fruition.

4. Remii

Remii Member

Bob McNair said himself that even if they drafted a quarterback they probably wouldn't start him. He's been through that with Carr and there's no rule that says a rookie quarterback has to start... Especially with the rookie wage scale. The signing of Fitzpatrick doesn't necessarily mean they won't draft a quarterback with the #1 pick.

But McNair also said J.J. would work with Clowney (good luck with that) if they drafted him and McNair seemed to like Clowney and it is his team.

But regardless, it's pretty much a forgone conclusion that Schaub's days where numbered when Kubiak was fired. After the way the fans treated Schaub (along with throwing TD's to the opposing team) I don't think many believed McNair would let him stay, and why would O'Brien want to start his career off with Kubiak's trash... I don't see how this is anything to read into at this point.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah you can't really talk to that crowd either, they're pretty much the same crowd

6. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Do you guys have any links for this stuff? Because it's news to me. Those seem like pretty substantial hand-tippings by both parties. Highly unusual.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh you are so close to figuring it out. Literally one step away from it all making sense to you.

8. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

mcnair said it when he was talking about the possibility of trading the pick, he discussed many scenarios and the likelihood of bringing in a vet regardless the situation..

9. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

do you ever stop youre act?

10. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You mean to say "your"

12. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

see the post above yours.. youre so predictable.. i know the difference between the words, sometimes people type are/our your/youre. it happens..

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Anyway, you are here spewing old tired, dis-proven tropes, and you want to say I have an "act"? Really?

14. solid

solid Contributing Member

I hope the larger picture which we are yet to see will make sense out of this. Right now it seems like a dumb move. Is Houston destined to become Scrub City?

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, I am predictable, when someone says something wrong, I often correct them.

16. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

When what you say is borderline lunacy you have to turn the focus on something else besides the fact you are a moron.

17. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

O'Brien has made it pretty clear his schemes on offense and defense will have more adaptability and flexibility than the previous staff. I don't even think you can label what defense the Texans will have this yr since we will see 34, 43, nickel and dime packages in various amounts throughout a game. I'm confident Crennel will put him and Watt in position to maximize their talents and create a synergistic effect.

18. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just did some research which seems to confirm that if they trade Schaub after June 1, most of his cap hit from his bonus money is delayed until the year after this upcoming year.

Therefore, it might make sense that the Texans have a Schaub trade in place, but it just won't get announced until June 1 to maximize cap space for the upcoming season .

19. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

That would be interesting, but I have to wonder why the Texans would want to push the cap hit back now that they've already done most of their bloodletting and the FA market is considerably thinner. Plus 10 weeks is a long time for a handshake agreement to sit around collecting dust.

20. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

very predictable. when the opportunity to be a dbag presents itself, you step to the plate.. great job.