1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans sign Ricardo Mathews

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 15, 2014.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

He's a rotation guy, a depth signing. You still need to rotate guys in and out on the DLine. I'm not sure if Crick or Jamison have ever played in a 2 gap system. Mathews has. Should provide some good competition for the rotation guys.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Texans&amp;src=hash">#Texans</a> have signed DT Ricardo Mathews, Mathews has played in 52 games in 4 NFL seasons.

MORE:<a href="http://t.co/G0TbfbXCdE">http://t.co/G0TbfbXCdE</a> <a href="http://t.co/lE66zbocEh">pic.twitter.com/lE66zbocEh</a></p>&mdash; Houston Texans (@HoustonTexans) <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonTexans/statuses/456200119625338880">April 15, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. Remii

Remii Member

Good signing... A team needs a handful of 300 plus ponders on the D-line to be a good 3-4 defense.

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Yep I think this guy has Romeo 3-4 DE written all over him. Glad we're adding depth to the D-line.

5. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

So no clowney and manziel is the pick

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nice reach Rudy. ;)

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Ricardo Mathews got a one year deal for $730,000 minimum from Texans.</p>&mdash; John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/statuses/456250320713023488">April 16, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Solid cheap depth signing.

9. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

yep i can agree to this.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Not every FA signing has to be a future hall of famer.

Signing a DT for depth is not "playing not to lose"... LOL

11. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

you don't get it. you're not contending unless your starters play every game without rest or injury.

12. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Not sure if serious.

13. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

oh, i'm very serious.

14. Remii

Remii Member

No... You can't be serious.

15. TheJet

TheJet Member

16. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

maybe but this whole organization is about 'building' and its getting tired. If you are not living then you are dying.

Feels forced and if mc cheap had it his way he would try and get away with fielding the madison marlins.

Just ask yourself when you think texans does the word 'winner' or 'winning' come to mind? please.

texans are pretty much never a player in anything and their place in the pecking order has been cast. texans are a losing organization and its all about plodding through the next day, getting you to buy in VERY SLOWLY ( "but..but.. it takes time!!" )

We have all been lulled to sleep. How many seasons has this been? Could have had peyton, could have did this, could have done that. Its bled into everything and a losers mentality. it's everywhere now. mediocre is the expectation. Let's get hyped about mathews. FML.

I don't feel the same confidence I do with rockets. To me the texans are like the milwaukee bucks. Take out the paper any given year and you can be assured they aren't doing jack shi**t.

More of the same. Sum of the parts of a 53 man roster? fu**ck I am falling asleep again.

I am in houston so I have no other team but the 'expansion franchise' excuse went away a long time ago and you guys are still buying in wholesale. It's cute and sad at same time.

I want them to get manziel even though he will be a bust, just so they can put their stones on the table and try to be something different. Fu**cking go for it for once.

This is punching in your time card and minimal effort get through the next season keeping all the lovers placated with little bits of shi*t like this signing and every other one.

What about jared allen? What about demarcus ware? What about blah blah blah. Who cares? Its all about coasting and playing not to win. How many more years of half ass are you guys going to sit there and eat on it so intently? you are eating ambien and vicodin with this organization.

Is it not okay to want a 'winning' organization?

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

There are a lot of complaints to be made against this organization and the owner in particular, but cheap is not one of them. In fact, it is flat out ridiculous. McNair has spent money on both the roster and facilities at high rate. This team has been perhaps TOO generous with money to current players and that has hurt them. They have actually been willing to throw out generous money to mediocre or slightly better players instead of operating a cuthroat business.

McNair, and by extension the Texans, are not cheap. Not at all. Laughably stupid at times perhaps, but not cheap.

18. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

mc cheap didnt want to sign bush because he was or wasnt the best player. He signed williams because of 'signability' aka cheap ass.

Dont take my word for it.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fQI4VYb6iGM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You can say 'ridiculous' because its a good word and sounds nice on a bbs but it doesnt add up to what happened and the jokeshop owner we have.

You have been drugged and are sipping the tea so bad that you are okay with this after 12 seasons. You are used to it.

We can get into the parking taxpayer scams too if you want:

http://www.examiner.com/article/hol...exans-fans-ticket-and-parking-prices-to-go-up

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...-sports-agency-seeks-help-on-loan-1615745.php

So what kind of scam is that? McNair lends money at what interest rate? And makes money off the interest of that loan(7 million) and then gets the city to use that money to build a practice facility for HIS TEAM ?? And parking that HE CHARGES FOR? what kind of a scam is that?

I want to lend money and make interest off of it ,so that the money I lend can be used to make more money for me ..thankfully I can use that money I lent to expend on other aspects on my business? Umm am I following this right? I wish he WAS this cut throat about the freaking team itself and winning. Not just winning/scamming the city and fans.

keeping casserly lame duck(this is a true WTF WOW) because of cheap, and generally holding on to coaching staff with conservative jokers like capers and conserviak. It's all about holding the line and squeezing another season of loser.

I realize you are drugged right now and can't see the forest for the trees but look at the facts. We have 12 seasons of it.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Please. I've been bashing this organization for years.

They aren't cheap regardless of draft decisions they've made (that all teams have dealt with in the past) or a parking scam. Maximizing profits is not cheap. All teams do that.

Cheap is the Bengals or Browns, teams that spend as little above the floor as they possibly can.

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

That's quite a rant, IBTL. Hard to believe it was set off by the Texans merely signing a DT for depth purposes...

Also, you do remember that Kubiak was fired and we have a new coach, right? I know, I know....it should have happened 3 years ago(!!!!!111).

If the Texans win a Superbowl in 3 years, will you be happy or will you be pissed they didn't win one sooner?