1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans Sign Joe Mays

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fantasma Negro, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I enjoy the show with Seth Payne. Mad radio I believe.

Plus, this time of year is nice hearing all about the Texans.

2. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

I agree with MAD Radio. Meltzer is probably their best guy, and i feel like Seth really complements him with his personal knowledge as well as quirkiness. I don't mind Nick Wright either, but I really can't listen to the morning show or J&R. But 790 isn't that much better, and can get quite boring most of the time.

3. Fantasma Negro

From this afternoon

4. cdain3

cdain3 Member

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Mr-ELKhmWj8?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. cdain3

cdain3 Member

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/o3gwL69VhM4?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NWKj8VTzL3Q?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. platypus

platypus Member

LMAAOOOOOO

7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

We could have our new Pollard

8. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

As long as this guy is healthy, he will start, no doubt in my mind. Sharpton and Dobbins are bums for the most part just bodies to put in the middle. Mays looks to be a great compliment to Cushing, just blows up plays down the middle. Let Cushing roam around and stick with play making TE while Mays will get a full head of steam and attack the ball.

9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Daryl Sharpton, when healthy, was giving DeMeco Ryans a run for his money. The Texans really believe he has the talent to be an every-week starter in the NFL. The problem is that he can't stay healthy. I wouldn't call him a bum, but it is disappointing to see him struggle with injuries year after year.

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I'm not a fan or anything, but what's the alternative; Dobbins? He's a two down ILB (not that Mays isn't as well). My point being, we have virtually no one we can count on inside. It was a huge need for us going into the draft and when the Ravens leap-frogged us to get Aurthur Brown, I knew we were in trouble. The texans should actually consider a trade at this point.

But I'll say one thing for Houston: we're gonna be an extraordinarily hard hitting team. We will exact pain.

#50 Aruba77, Aug 3, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The guy tries to get up and play it off, but then just says "screw it" and starts tap dancing.

12. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I thought that was hilarious.

13. 45souf

45souf Member

As much as i want Mays to be a savior for us in the ILB spot, nothing up to this point indicates that he is worthy of that title. He is a Hard hitting Lb, with limited coverage ability. He can however, be that one player who can spark the rest of our defense.

14. rhino17

rhino17 Member

The #2 ilb position is a two down position, so I'm not sure why some people are so concerned that some of these guys are not 3 down players. Their position on the field doesn't call for it.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, even though we play a 3-4 defense, we mostly play a nickle look with 4 down-linemen (Merciless, Smith, Watt, Reed), 1 LB (Cushing), and 3 safeties (Reed, Manning, Swearinger) any time the offense lines up more than 2 receivers - which is probably more than half the time.

The good news about this is 1) Mays won't be on the field as much as people think and 2) Swearinger will get a lot of playing time even if Reed starts all 16 games (yeah right....). Swearinger will be half safety/half linebacker in our nickel sets, which is a good role for him because he's a big hitter.

16. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

It's actually considered a dime look (4-1-6). But yeah, Swearinger is a perfect fit in the Quin role on 3rd downs.