1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans sign Ed Reed

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Mar 20, 2013.

Tags:
?

Do you like the move by the Texans to sign Ed Reed?

1. YES

226 vote(s)
    94.2%
  2. NO

14 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Maybe the most prophetic post in this 16-page thread.

Nice call.

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Would you play 16 times a year for an extra 3.5 million? Love of money.

Sad, but you can't fault him for it.

He has been terrible. A wasted body on the field.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Interesting that he hasn't been thrown at... once.

Not that teams would need to target him to beat the Texans, but this stat sheet doesn't necessarily pain Reed in a terrible light.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

That's not what that means. Passes Defensed means times when a ball was thrown to the receive he was responsible for covering where he successfully deflects the pass. (Swats it away, tips it, etc.)

However, I can't find targeting stats, but ESPN released an article on the 23rd that said he was only targeted 3 times in the 5 games he's played.

5. ima_drummer2k

That stat is such an easy cop-out. There are a ton of other reasons he's never been targeted besides the implied (by Reed himself...) reason that QBs must be scared to throw at him.

Defensive stats can be so misleading. The only meaningful ones are sacks and interceptions, IMO.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Considering Ed Reed is never anywhere near the ball or opposing players, I'm not shocked he doesn't register targets.

7. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

I think Reed gets a pick Sunday.....just a feeling i have

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I don't know, man... Even taking into consideration what we now know about his health, didn't we all clearly enter this with our eyes wide open; that this was a move specifically designed for January games? And with none of those forthcoming... can we really be *that* upset? It's not like we'd be 5-4 with Glover Quin...

No playoffs - which none of us saw coming - is what renders the deal a poor one; not Reed's slow rehab/poor play, right?

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The guy can't start on our team in the regular season at this point...he's being outplayed by freaking Keo. Why in the world would you want 2013 Ed Reed playing on any playoff team? I don't see him being appreciably better come January.

10. ima_drummer2k

This whole recruiting/signing of Reed just never smelled good to me. Something just didn't feel right about it. The Ravens didn't really want him. No other teams seriously chased him. Just didn't feel right.

The guy was 38 years old, a first-ballot HOFer and coming off winning a Superbowl. What did he have left to play for?

I never bought into the "he'll be ready when it counts" rhetoric.