1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans Sign DE Antonio Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by david_rocket, Feb 28, 2009.

1. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

DE Antonio Smith will visit the Texans

According to Adam Schefter of the NFL Network, Antonio Smith, will visit the Houston Texans on Sunday.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/27/de-smith-will-visit-houston/

I think this would be a great addition to the defense, if comes true.

And lock this thread if this has been posted before.

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

It was touched upon in the off-season thread.

Would be a good pickup if not bank-breaking.

3. Houston Native

Houston Native Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Berman of Fox 26 interviewed Smith yest I think at the airport when he arrived in town. Smith thought he would be a good fit with Mario on the other side and liked the idea of being closer to home (?Oklahoma). Berman said he would likely visit other teams and has not ruled out resigning with the Cardinals.

4. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

If he wasn't playing the wine and dine me card i'd say send him an offer sheet right now. That shows he might just be looking for the most money and negotiations could be a real hassle and interfere with our draft strategy. :(

5. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Id love to have him opposite Mario, but I dont see us offering more than some of the other interested teams.

6. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

Houston is a great town.....I would love to play here!!!

- Orlando Pace

7. Mattj

Mattj Member

Someone is going to give this guy stupid $$$. He had 3.5 sacks last year. People going ga-ga over Cardinals defenders must have missed the regular season. The fired their D-coordinator after the Super Bowl. Darnell Dockett is the reason Smith had a good postseason. I love how the Texans keep talking about getting a defensive end opposite Mario Williams when they don't have one DT worth a crap on the entire roster.

8. conquistador#11

matt, tell us how you really feel. jeje :)

I agree. It's too much money to spend.
    What kind of message will it be sending demeco and mario when their contracts are up?

9. Mattj

Mattj Member

I think Rick Smith's strategy is to get every single player on the roster into a contract year this season, so they will be plenty motivated and pissed. Schaub, Ryans, Williams, Robinson, Pitts...they could all potentially be looking at huge pay days with good seasons.

10. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

well...im guessing since he left town without a deal, then he is either not interested in signing with the Texans or the money offered did not suit his desires.

Either way, the odds of Smith joining the Texans seems to have taken a hit.

11. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Schaub and Williams have long term deals in place

12. Mattj

Mattj Member

If you think Matt Schaub's deal is not going to get re-done after next year, you are crazy. He's not getting a $10 million option bonus unless he plays 16 games and leads this team to the playoffs. Mario's deal will also re-done before his price gets too out of hand.

13. texanskan

I assume the Texans will make the playoffs and Schaub will get his kicker as far as Mario goes they might redo it ala AJ a year ago to create room

I hope they come up with long term deals for Pitts/Daniels/Ryans and let Dunta play out this season

14. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Crap. I thought I heard you saying good things about him on 610?? ( I NEVER watched the Cardinals until the playoffs)

I don't want to draft another DE or DT and wait for him to develop. I wish there were better free agents out there.

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

wouldn't you be among that group?

16. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Smith would be a decent pickup if at the right price. I'm thinking more and more that both Orakpo and Everette Brown will be gone at #15, and like last season with Duane Brown, we're gonna end up reaching for a DE like Tyson Jackson. Smith would give us the option to wait to pickup a DE in later rounds.

This draft seems similar to last year's. We desperately needed a OT and we won a meaningless game to just put us out of reach of good OL prospects, likewise, seems like we're going to be just out of reach of guys like Rak, Brown, Raji, this year.

17. texanskan

Smith signed by Texans

18. texanskan

5 years 35 million 12.5 guaranteed

19. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

No Joke! That is so true, they have wasted pick after pick and they don't have a decent DT. They need a strong DT badly that can collapse the pocket and stuff the middle... that would help Mario more than another edge rusher IMO..

And they really need to decide Ryan's future, either extend him or they better draft a really good M-LB

Matt, what's the chances of them going LB in the 1st or 2nd rd

and what do you think of the DE from U of Tenn? (Ayers?)

20. texanskan

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6286086.html

link

The Texans have signed Arizona defensive lineman Antonio Smith to replace Anthony Weaver at left defensive end. Weaver was waived earlier this week.

Smith, 27, spent his first five seasons with Arizona and started for the Cardinals in their Super Bowl loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Smith came to Houston on Friday night and spent Saturday meeting with Texans coach Gary Kubiak and his assistants while general manager Rick Smith negotiated a five-year, $35 million contract with Antonio Smith's agent, Drew Rosenhaus. Of that, $12.5 million is guaranteed.

Meanwhile, Dan Orlovsky is the second free agent quarterback to visit the Texans.

Orlovsky, who started for Detroit in the Lions' 28-21 loss on Oct. 19 at Reliant Stadium, follows Denver's Patrick Ramsey, who was in town Friday and today. Orlovsky will visit today and Sunday.

In his start against the Texans, Orlovsky completed 12 of 25 passes for 265 yards and one touchdown. For the season, he threw for 1,616 yards with eight touchdowns and eight interceptions while splitting time at quarterback with Daunte Culpepper.