1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans Sign Cowboys CB

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ryan17wagner, Mar 1, 2008.

1. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

The Texans have agreed to a contract with Dallas Cowboys cornerback Jacques Reeves, who was an unrestricted free agent.

Reeves, who started 13 games in four seasons with the Cowboys, visited with the Texans on Friday and attended the Rockets' victory over Memphis with general manager Rick Smith.

Smith reached the agreement with agent Brian Hamilton today.

At 5-11, 188 pounds, the 25-year-old Reeves is the veteran cornerback the Texans targeted. They're still going to draft a cornerback, maybe two, and they might sign another veteran.

After agreeing with Reeves, Smith turned his attention to Miami guard Rex Hadnot, who also visited Friday. Smith has been negotiating with Hadnot's agent, Brian Overstreet, in an attempt to get the deal done before the center leaves for other visits.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5584364.html

2. manbearpig

manbearpig Member

Decent signing. I was hoping for more of a playmaker, but according to the article, we are lookin for 3-2 more CBs so lets see what happens.

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

don't know much about him, but from the thread title i was hoping for one of the CB's I knew off Dallas.. ah well

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I guess they didn't watch the game between dallas v. giants when he was a target like peety faggins.

5. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

he's faggins 2.0

6. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Gesh, that is weak calling him Faggins 2.0!!!

Manning disected the Cowboys, the Packers, and the Patriots.

Get a clue.

Smith gets guys that produce. They might not be stars elsewhere, but under the right systems they can blossom.

7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nice.

Entering the draft they don't have to sign a ready-to-start corner with their 1st. Flexability is good.

He's not Asante Samuels, but he should be pasable compared to someone like Von Hutchens as a starter if they don't get anybody else. If someone else appears, he can be a solid nickle. Doing a bit of searching around the web, he apparently isn't the fastest guy in the league, so that may be where he ends up if Dante' comes back, or if that star corner falls to them in the draft. It sounds like if he is a full time starter, you might want to not play bump-and-run and play more "cover 2" based on what I'm reading.

I like it because it applies a tournacate to a gaping wound, and it gives them some more flexability on draft day. Maybe it enables them to hold off and draft a corner in the 4th who needs half a season to get ready (like Fred Bennett) and just go with best player available in the 1st.

At this point, they didn't even have a legitimate 3rd corner, so if he doesn't turn out to be good enough to be a starter but has enough game to be the nickle or dime, you still are beter than you were before signing him.

8. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Reeves sucks. This move doesn't really do anything to address the Texans gaping hole at db.

9. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

As a Cowboys fan I can tell you I could care less whether Reeves left or not. Decent nickle at best.

10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good signing,but I hope this doesn't lull us from going easy at CB since Robinson won't be back until week 10 -12 (and perhaps at safety).We need a guy that can step right in...ergo a number 1 pick.

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

If we can get another CB from the draft or through FA, Reeves will add some much needed depth. But this guy isn't an upgrade from any of the CBs we have on this team so I'm too excited.

12. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

Just heard on Sirius NFL Radio, Von Hutchins signed with Atlanta

13. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

His five-year deal is worth $20 milllion. :confused: :confused: :confused: :mad: :mad: :mad:

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

If the Cowboys would have signed him to a long-term contract for $20 million, then I would have said they were off their rocker based on what he has shown so far in 4 seasons with the Cowboys. I'm not sure what your staff sees that our staff doesn't...but they apparently are into major risk-taking.

15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

correct me if i'm wrong but isn't this the CB that got exploited in the playoffs against the Giants (specifically his inability to keep up with Plaxico)?

16. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

If keeping up with Plaxico Burress in single coverage is the standard for being a good cornerback, I'm not sure if there has ever been a good cornerback in the history of football.

17. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

Asante Samuel and Randall Gay were exposed by Plaxico and they will get tons more.

18. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I think it's a big hit to our depleted secondary.

I second this. Faggins 2.0.

19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

no i'm just asking because I wasn't sure.

20. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

AHAHAHAHAAA

suckers. dallas probably wasn't going to resign him anyway. he is nowhere near the bottom end of No. 1 corners.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/03/reeves-deal-details.html