1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans sign Brock Osweiler

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Mar 9, 2016.

?

Do you like the Brock Osweiler signing?

1. YES

68.7%
  2. NO

10.0%
  3. I abstain, courteously

21.3%
  1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Texans gonna Texan

2. Newlin

Newlin Member

We didn't have time to develop a rookie QB. We had to do something while Watt was still in his prime years. It would have been a crime to see Watt grow old without the Texans at least trying to do something about the QB situation.

And now we have our draft picks to fill other holes.

3. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

well there is no way to know if this is a 'terrible mistake.' I'm cautiously optimistic. Only a season with him as a starter will tell. Can't say I blame the Texans either.

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I've been saying since season ended I expect Tom Savage to be Texans' opening day starter and young QB will play when OB says he's ready.</p>&mdash; John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/status/707622447348977664">March 9, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Atleast they are not cheap. Rick smith is dealing for his job

6. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

I said originally 5 years, 86 million.... close...

I told you guys.

Power moves being made.

This was do or die for Rick Smith.

7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Texans making good run at Osweiler, but as I've been saying, I don't see him leaving Broncos. Too good of a fit with Kubiak and Elway.</p>&mdash; John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/status/707622017718099968">March 9, 2016</a></blockquote>

8. mick fry

mick fry Member

This!

9. Marteen

Marteen Member

In hindsight, they can still draft a QB and have their starter with experience. At first, I wanted RG3, but then again the Texans staff know more than you or I do. I hope it works out.

10. Victorious

Victorious Member

yall don't know by now? McCain is the official smokescreen of the houston texans

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/bosweiler17">@bosweiler17</a> YOU LIKE THAT! Happy for ya!</p>&mdash; Kirk Cousins (@KirkCousins8) <a href="https://twitter.com/KirkCousins8/status/707668545107312640">March 9, 2016</a></blockquote>

13. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Ahhhhhahahahahah!

14. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Here's the NFL.com report on Brock after the combine. Obviously, this information is 4 years old:

OVERVIEW

Osweiler is an intriguing early-entry prospect out of Arizona State. He started for Dennis Erickson's Sun Devils for just two years before opting to leave a year of eligibility on the table with the mass exodus of both the ASU coaching staff and a solid group of senior starters. A good athlete for the position, Osweiler was originally signed on to play basketball at Gonzaga before opting to play football at ASU. He has the arm strength to be a first-day pick but hasn't shown the consistency that is characteristic of guys who deserve first-round money.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS
    Osweiler has a very deliberate, quick-twitched setup which he employs on a consistent basis. His athletic ability allows him to play the position naturally and with ease. He slings the ball naturally, as well, and even though he pats the ball before throwing, his release is so compact and effective he isn't hindered by this habit in the slightest. His shining asset is his arm strength; he can hit nearly any NFL-caliber throw at this point in his career. He is a good leader and looks in control in the huddle and on the field. He is above average from an accuracy standpoint, and he really has a good grasp on when to add touch to the ball or to zip it. He has the pocket presence of a first-day pick and doesn't go down easily. He is good to extend plays with his feet.

WEAKNESSES
    Osweiler had on-the-field judgment issues throughout his career at ASU and isn't reliable to protect the ball from turnovers. It seems as if he starts to get rolling in a game, and the more confidence he builds, the more of a gun-slinger mentality he adopts. This severely hinders his play. When under control, early in the game, he is athletic, accurate, and a good game manager. He will need to learn to hone in some of the competitive traits that have helped lead him to success up to this point. He is likely a developmental prospect who could struggle if forced to play early on.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/brock-osweiler?id=2533436

15. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I would love to get Arian back but I know it ain't gonna happen

16. solodolo

solodolo Member

I don't know how I feel

I just know we have to read more bobbythelame ****ty posts

17. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Denver wanted him back. Let's not get it twisted.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I'm told the Broncos went as high as the mid 16 million range per year with Osweiler.</p>&mdash; James Palmer (@JamesPalmerTV) <a href="https://twitter.com/JamesPalmerTV/status/707671355743862784">March 9, 2016</a></blockquote>

18. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Leave McClain alone. He's old and senile. He doesn't know where he's at anymore.

19. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Here's a Bucky Brooks article from when Peyton got hurt. It describes the pre-draft book on Brock and how he has improved since being drafted.

Funny enough, Brooks compared him to "a young Matt Schaub" when he entered the draft.

It's a long article, so the below is just a snippet. Follow the link for more...

"Over the past few years, I've watched Osweiler, who turns 25 on Sunday, show steady progress as a passer and playmaker. He has improved his passer rating during each preseason: 57.5 in 2012, 68.8 in 2013, 84.0 in 2014 and 94.2 in 2015. Most importantly, Osweiler has shown the ability to direct an offense as a precise passer from the pocket, particularly in Gary Kubiak's system. Studying the All-22 Coaches Film from the young QB's preseason work, I came away impressed with his accuracy, poise and decisiveness while executing the Broncos' passing game. He consistently delivered the ball on time to receivers at every level. Additionally, he showed improved footwork on traditional dropbacks (taken under center) and capably executed the movement-based passes from the Pistol formation."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...r-can-make-denver-broncos-offense-more-potent

20. Fantasma Negro

[​IMG]