1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans sign Brock Osweiler

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Mar 9, 2016.

?

Do you like the Brock Osweiler signing?

1. YES

68.7%
  2. NO

10.0%
  3. I abstain, courteously

21.3%
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh no question, like I said QB's are by far the hardest, if he was 100% right about his QB analysis and he put it out there for people to see, he'd probably get offers to work for an NFL team. Even people who are REALLY respected for their player analysis occasionally screw up bad, Mayock is a good example of that.

Basically I wanted to avoid the Brett based groupthink that can happen as a result of his really well done, very convincing articles. In this instance, I agree with him, so I hope we're both right.....I just don't want every conversation to boil down to "but Brett said" like I've seen happen elsewhere.

2. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

The one good thing about Brett's analysis is that it actually agrees with what our eyeballs told us at the time. Through November and December, pretty much anyone who watched Brock play came away thinking, "This kid makes some rookie mistakes, but also makes some great plays and doesn't seem to get rattled."

No one really questioned him until Peyton won that last game and then it became apparent that Brock might leave. The revisionist history on this guy is pretty wild.

If he stays in Denver, there is no doubt in my mind that La Canfora puts him in Tier 3 or 4 in this stupid article, instead of Tier 6.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What I've always loved about Brett's analysis is that he breaks down plays to show on film what he likes and what he doesn't like. It also shows part of what I've been saying about how Khalil Mack is pretty overrated and his crazy 5 sack game was due to the combination of a young QB making one of his first starts in the NFL and one of the worst tackles in the NFL being awful. Mack's reputation is built almost entirely on that 5 sack game and games where he took advantage of rookie QB Mariota and old man Josh McCown who always gets sacked a ton.

One thing is for sure, I'm a lot more excited about the potential of Brock than I was about a Texans QB since Schaub in his prime.

4. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Thank you so much for this... Hilarious how skewed the media is.

5. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I find it very interesting how differently the media is handling the Osweiler/Elway and Von Miller/Elway relationships.

Elway obviously passed on a crappy QB when he low-balled Osweiler, but Von Miller is fighting the good fight when he gets low-balled.

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Well...I get what you're saying...but to be fair, it largely has to do with Osweiler being unproven, while Miller being firmly established as one of the best players in the league.

7. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Well that's definitely true, but one of the main arguments was "Elway knows talent and definitely wouldn't let a QB go if he thought he was good!!"

Low-balling Von completely contradicts that theory.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If Denver ends up losing Von Miller over Elway being cheap and Osweiler ends up being a good QB while the Broncos struggle with garbage you'll see the media turn on him in a heartbeat.

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Yes, Bobby is correct here.

Elway gets the benefit of the doubt for now, as he should, but if these moves backfire then people will criticize him, as they should.

10. cdain3

cdain3 Member

Miller didn't get low balled. The contract they offered would make him the highest paid defensive player.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Look at the guaranteed money, that's just about the only thing that matters when it comes to NFL contracts. The contract they offered him was a joke.

12. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Not really... believing that is the same as believing that the Texans gave Brock $72 million. It's not about the "potential" overall amount because no NFL contract ever pays out like it's written on day one... especially not contracts this big.

The Broncos offered Miller less guaranteed money than both Olivier Vernon and Fletcher Cox just got from the Giants and Eagles respectively. He (rightfully) considers himself a more valuable front-7 player than either of those guys.

Remember, it ain't about the headline-grabbing dollar figure... it's about the guaranteed cash.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly this, Micheal Vick signed 2 separate deals of over 100 million dollars each not including his rookie deal and any contract he signed after the Eagles and he made a grand total of 124 million dollars in his 13 year career. Guaranteed cash is the only thing that reall matters.

14. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

True...but a guy like Miller with his talent and youth will probably get paid every cent of that contract. No way he ever gets cut even when the dead money is favorable for the team. And he will probably not be asked to restructure.

15. cdain3

cdain3 Member

Fletcher Cox is without a doubt more valuable. Good down lineman are much harder to find than an olb'ers. It's not like he had a legendary Justin Houston/JJ Watt type season last year(11 sacks = meh). Add to that his acl injury the season before last? He should take that money and run.

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Peyton Manning says he'll be 'a free agent' this year and cheer for a lot of teams. 'I'll be pulling for <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonTexans">@HoustonTexans</a> QB <a href="https://twitter.com/BrockOsweiler">@BrockOsweiler</a>.'</p>&mdash; Joseph Duarte (@Joseph_Duarte) <a href="https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/746377817588404225">June 24, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. val_modus

val_modus Member

Anyone see Profootball Focus's list of the top QB situations heading into the 2017 season? They have us ranked at 29 LMAO. It is funny to see the shift in the national narrative regarding Osweiler since his arrival in Houston. The same guys also listed him as the worst signing of the entire offseason...

18. texian

texian Member

Makes you wonder what the narrative would've been had Brock not spurned Elway/Kubiak's scheme... and how much higher he'd be ranked.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh they'd have him top 15 for sure if he stayed in Denver and they'd hype up how well he did there.

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm not one to whine about this perceived lack of respect from the national media for Houston......but 29th?

That is absolutely ridiculous. At WORST we should be middle of the pack.