1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans sign Bill O'Brien to 4-year extension

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jan 13, 2018.

?

Do you like the contract extension for Bill O'Brien?

Poll closed Dec 31, 2018.
  1. Yes

29.0%
  2. No

38.0%
  3. Who cares, as long as Bob & Cal are around.

10.0%
  4. Abstain

5.0%
  5. Doesn't matter Brian!

18.0%
  1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Bill O'Brien: "We're extremely grateful to Bob McNair and Cal McNair. We're all committed to the same thing, working very, very hard to bring a championship to Houston. We can't thank them enough. Continuity and stability are a key in this league. We really have that."

Bill O'Brien on working with new GM Brian Gaine: "Brian and I have a great relationship. There's great respect between us and we believe in each other. That's a big part of winning in this league. Brian is a very thorough & hard-working guy that is excited about this opportunity"

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Disagree, not with this many holes. We don't have picks in the first two rounds either. It takes time.

#42 Mr. Clutch, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  3. 1234567

1234567 Member

Stability

That is what they are looking for regardless of the record this year.

Actually, losing so much helps next year with weaker schedule, higher picks, even if it's the 3rd round.

1st and 2nd was traded away so can't get about them now.

And the QB has came out on record supporting the coach.

Let's see what they can do to upgrade the OL and d backs first before call this a failure.

As for BOB trusting defense instead of rookie QB to win the game, he will learn from mistakes

4. Mr. Clutch

I only blame O'Brien for building the roster, having a bad system and not knowing how to manage the clock. Coaches "getting full potential out of players" or blaming them for players sucking is an overrated concept.

No one will blame O'Brien for not getting more out of the OL, because the talent sucks. I think Brees would have been a great QB without Payton.

The key is to get great talent and have a great system. Brady is great, but he never carried a garbage roster in a bad system to the super bowl.

roxallways likes this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So, now the roster is all his fault, but he gets no credit for the good players?

QB’s make systems just as much as coaches. The Brady offense is vastly different now than what he was doing as a rookie.

I’m excited to see the evolution of Watson.

red5rocket and texian like this.
  7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They were a 9-7 team with one of the all time worst QB’s.

They’re going to do some work in the draft and free agency, but it’s not as dire as u may like to think.

texian likes this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. Mr. Clutch

That was a really great defense. Not so much anymore

10. Mr. Clutch

I have always said the roster is more on O'Brien good or bad

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Why is that? Was AJ Bouye really that integral?

They have enough talent on both sides to make a recovery. They do need health though.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If he’s responsible for their first true franchise QB, then he most definitely deserves to stick around.

Your logic is totally specious.

mario_v likes this.
  13. Mr. Clutch

Bouye, Demps, Wilfork was still solid. Joseph is not as good, getting up there in age. Cushing continued to decline as well.

The pass rush should be good, the secondary is a concern

14. Mr. Clutch

The roster as a whole is garbage. I wouldn't keep him just because he finally found a QB after 4 years

15. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

16. showa13

showa13 Member

Every roster has holes. I think the holes are overstated on the Texans roster. OLine and Secondary are the obvious holes but other than that we just need more depth(injuries ravaged our depth).

The front 7 is still solid despite taking the brunt of the injury woes for the team, we have a top 3 WR, a very good No 2 WR, a very good if oft injured No 3 receiver. We’ll need a new No 1 TE. I think with our cap space we can recoup the depth.

Remember, previously QB was a major question. It’s not anymore.

red5rocket likes this.
  17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. Buck Turgidson

[​IMG]

ghettocheeze likes this.
  19. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This sounds like ownerspeak for a new hire. So now BOB can start building a new, winning culture? What was he doing the previous four years? McNair couldn't even say "continue to build" because that hasn't been happening.

Cool, I am excited about this new chapter. There is a new gm who is great because he has worked for five different teams and knows lots of different ways but also because he worked here before so he knows our way. So we don't really want those other ways he knows. Just our way. And now we are going to build a new culture based on our culture led by the guys who have defined our culture for the past several years. Only new! See this guy who hired the former Texan after using a search firm and only talking to Texans and extended BOB with some intense, "hey BOB. Last year sucked. If I promise to give you more money instead of firing you will you take it?" negotiations? Yeah, he gets promoted and extended because that was amazing! He will bring new ideas and strategies, too!

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yikes, stuck with a terrible head coach for 5 more years. Honestly I just feel bad for Watson, this all but guarantees we'll waste at least the beginning of his prime and there's nothing he can do to get away.