1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans sign Bill O'Brien to 4-year extension

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jan 13, 2018.

?

Do you like the contract extension for Bill O'Brien?

Poll closed Dec 31, 2018.
  1. Yes

29.0%
  2. No

38.0%
  3. Who cares, as long as Bob & Cal are around.

10.0%
  4. Abstain

5.0%
  5. Doesn't matter Brian!

18.0%
  1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sure... they need depth.

Having all-pro skill position players allows things to be built upon... and seeing as those are the hardest guys to acquire, you'd be foolish to count this team out with this core.

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

No he saved all of their undeserving jobs. Thing is the team still was under .500 with his spectacular play. The team is not good around him and I just don't have faith this regime can build a good team around him.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

You'd be foolish to think this team can turn it around so quickly when they have one of the worst OLs and secondaries in the league.

If it was that easy, teams would never suck for long stretches, but they do.

ghettocheeze and roxallways like this.
  5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Finally got it done. Yes!!!

TheFreak, red5rocket and texian like this.
  6. Newlin

Newlin Member

I'm not going to criticize at this point. I'll wait to see what happens. At least now we will know who to blame if the team fails to improve. We can blame all of them. Everyone seems to be on the same page, and it's good we can be done with the BOB vs Rick Smith nonsense.

I'm not a big BOB fan, It doesn't seem like he is the brightest guy in football by a long shot. But, I'll hope for the best and see what happens. Let's see if Gaine and BOB can fix the offensive line. That has to be the first order of business.

Torn n Frayed and showa13 like this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well, that's exactly what a franchise QB does for teams.

Plenty of teams that have lines and great defenses do nothing without a QB.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The fact that the coaches get zero credit for having a fresh rookie play that well baffles me. At times, some of these posts sound as ignorant as Cal McNair and Pancakes.

TheFreak, red5rocket, BMoney and 4 others like this.
  10. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

O'brien swallowed some of his pride and dumped his inept offense for the Clemson offense with Watson. I will give OB credit for humbling himself to have Watson run the offense more suited to his abilities but Watson wasn't some Joe Schmo off the street that OB suddenly made great. Watson was great before he even knew who OB was. OB owes more to Watson than vice versa.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

As a fan, I've learned not to put too much into these decisions. Just take them as they are and move on.

In the end, these are usually difficult decisions to make. Bill Belichick had a losing record as the Browns coach for 4 years, so fire him, right? The guy goes to the Patriots to become the best coach in the sport arguably ever.

It's pretty much a fact that coaches usually get better with experience, maybe that is the case here, no one knows. Coaches usually do better on their 2nd or 3rd team because of their experience. Guys are losers until they aren't. People hated the MDA hire. People wanted Hinch gone. He fired Kubiak and he goes on to win a superbowl lol. Just saying, sometimes people are wrong.

It's better to just shrug and hope for the best.

TheFreak likes this.
  12. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Really? Don't you realize that DeShaun is "The Savior" - the Chosen One for Houston Professional Football. He can do it all by himself - all he needs is for BoB to COACH BETTER. It's as if Bud Adams never left...

texian, roxallways and Mr. Clutch like this.
  13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I don't know, nor frankly do I care who was the Watson fan in the organization prior to week 3.

What I do know is that Watson and BOB looked insanely f**king good before he got hurt. I want to see more of that tandem. Hopefully BOB wises up and realizes how damn good Watson is, and lets him win games late instead of trying not to lose.

If he continues to hold the team back in late game situations, he can easily be replaced.

14. mario_v

mario_v Member

In the nfl, teams go from worst to first all the time. It happens every season.

Just look at this year, there’s eight new teams in the playoffs that weren’t in the playoffs last season.

TheFreak and red5rocket like this.
  15. Mr. Clutch

Just taking two examples because we are familiar with them from the AFC South, Jacksonville and Tennessee, they rebuilt over several years.

It wasn't a 1 year turnaround. Jax has been building up their defense for awhile.

16. showa13

showa13 Member

While I wouldn’t have signed him to an extension, I’ve decided to hold off judgement on the decision till the season starts. If the offense plays like it did before Watson got hurt idk what complaints you can have. If the team faulters again then yes it’s fully on BOB. I’m not going to make a claim in January that the team is doomed or not. I’m gonna wait and see and be optimistic cause we do have a franchise QB

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Pretty simplified explanation... wonder why more NFL teams didn't catch on to this super-human ability and automatic transition to the pros.

18. Mr. Clutch

Because it's hard to project. Brees fell to the second round

roxallways likes this.
  19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And the coach that chose Rivers over him was fired.

And the coach that got the most out of him still has a job.

I’m sure some gave a little credit to Payton helping Brees reach MVP potential.

Fans who blame the coaches when players suck, but give no credit to them when players do well... are ignorant.

TheFreak, red5rocket, texian and 2 others like this.
  20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

There are scores of turnarounds by teams that have far less than the Texans currently have when healthy.