1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans sign Andre Brown

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 7, 2014.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Very good signing. Has experience in the power blocking scheme. Was a solid RB when healthy. Thrilled with this signing. One less draft pick to spend on need.

2. Remii

Remii Member

Let's just hope they both don't get hurt at the same time...

3. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Only the Texans would invest in a running back with a previous BROKEN freaking leg.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I doubt the Texans are the only team that would sign a running back that had this injury previously to the minimum. You say invest like they gave him serious money. They literally gave him the smallest contract allowable.

Hardly "invest"ing.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The Lions invested in Reggie Bush.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

And the Patriots drafted Brady in the 6th round!

Signed,

Texan fan optimism

7. Summer Song Giver

This guy is just another warm body at the position and will probably be seriously hurt by week 2.

1 person likes this.
  8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Don't say that! He could be the key to our division championship!

9. Summer Song Giver

Err, I mean I really like it, this is the type of sneaky move that makes Rick Smith a great GM.

10. Remii

Remii Member

I love your blind optimism.

11. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

I dont know how anyone could be upset with this signing. When healthy, Brown can be a great runner with starter potential. Injuries, though, have relegated him to a backup role, where he belongs due to his inability to stay healthy.

But the Texans have nothing invested in him. Not even in the slightest. They will still likely draft a running back, but Brown allows them to groom him for the future. If Brown gets injured, then the rookie will fill the backup slot, which would have happened no matter what if the Texans had not signed Brown. But if he does stay healthy, the Texans will have a very, very solid running back who will certainly help the offense move the chains.

12. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I say slight downgrade...I think Tate is a better back by a slim margin.

But, given the contract, great deal for the Texans.

I think Ricky is learning a thing or two from Duryll.

13. cardpire

cardpire Member

So, once you break your leg, you should be banished from the NFL forever?

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Broken bones are far less career damaging than soft tissue injuries.

Although at this point, neither are really much of an obstacle anymore, especially for those under 30.

But between the two, a broken bone is the better option for an athlete.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I also think there's something to be said about missing a lot of time due to an injury like that, that actually helps the back prolong their career. RB's careers aren't short because they're skills diminish due to age, their careers are short because they're run into the ground. Ricky Williams was able to come back and contribute at an older age because his legs were rested.

Brown hasn't been able to play very many snaps the past 2 years. He's fresher than your typical workhorse back. If he can stay on the field you'll have a guy who plays a lot younger than his age would have you think.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely. Once an athlete breaks their leg they should be taken to the glue factory and shot.

17. Aruba77

um ...dude, a broken leg is not usually a career ending injury. and we're only paying him $600 something.

This is a great signing. This guy beat out Bradshaw and Wilson the year before last. He impressed at the combine and was drafted later than he should have been. When he's been on the field and blocked for, he's been a good RB. Kudos to Rick Smith for getting this done.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I know, right? Who the hell complains about a league minimum, 1-year deal? LOL.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Contrarians, malcontents, and fools.

20. Aruba77

Texans agreed to terms with RB Andre Brown, formerly of the Giants, on a one-year, $645,000 contract.
    The Texans have their Ben Tate replacement. Older than Tate and even more injury prone, Brown is not an upgrade behind Arian Foster, but was easily the second-best back left on the market behind Chris Johnson. Brown started the final eight games for the Giants last season, but averaged only 3.53 yards per carry. For his career, the 27-year-old Brown owns a 4.09 YPC. He gets what's blocked, but not much else. Brown will begin training camp as the clear No. 2 on the depth chart, but won't be miles ahead of Dennis Johnson and Jonathan Grimes.
    Source: John McClain on Twitter Apr 7 - 4:07 PM