1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans show tenacity

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Uprising, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Parts of this article had me smiling. Click the link for the rest of the article.

I bold the parts that had me smiling.

Can't wait till next week! Go Texans!

Commentary: A timely bit of tenacity
    By JEROME SOLOMON Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle

NASHVILLE — They battled back like a team determined not to lose.

They fought like a team determined to win.

They played like … well, a determined team.

Key word: determined. Key word, part II: team.

The Texans' rousing 34-31 win over the Tennessee Titans on Sunday might well be the finest by the team since its inaugural victory in its inaugural game seven years ago.

In many ways, that has more to do with how few big wins the Texans have had since they beat the Dallas Cowboys than how impressive this one was. But if there are to be finer wins for them this season — and there should be — Game 114 could be remembered as the one that opened the door to a special season.

Inspiring speech
    Apparently, the speech Gary Kubiak gave to his team Saturday night was a special one.

It's not that it was particularly eloquent, and it's unlikely the team will put it on a locker-room plaque. (Kubiak is no Tim Tebow.) But the words were almost unforgettable.

Kubiak told his team “to man-up” and “to come together” and “to play like a team” and “to fight for each other” and “to be accountable to each other” and a bunch of other things that went into one ear and came out of the other like fire.

Seems every player in the locker room has a different recollection, or at least his own interpretation, of the most meaningful thing the coach said. Whatever he said, it worked.

“Coach asked us at the team meeting (Saturday) night, ‘When are we going to come together as a team?' ” guard Chester Pitts said. “I think we did.”

Did you see the Texans come together and respond when Titans cornerback Cortland Finnegan acted as if he wanted to tussle on their sideline? A host of Texans — the finesse squad that was manhandled by the Jets in the season opener — jumped into the fray.

To protect the guilty, we won't name any names, but one Texan, not wanting to get ejected for throwing punches, left LP Field with a small chunk of red hair that used to belong to Finnegan. If Finnegan wants it back, he can try to retrieve it at Reliant Stadium in November.
    :D

“We're together,” linebacker DeMeco Ryans said. “They came over to our sideline, and we can't let anyone just come over, push us around and think we're a laughingstock or something like that.

“We've got each other's backs. We're a team.”

The Texans made mistakes — oh, did they make mistakes — but they withstood blows that in the past would have had them folding like wet paper napkins.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/solomon/texans/6628666.html

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I gained some respect back for Dunta on Sunday. He didn't do anything special on the sideline but it looked like he had his teammates' backs.

3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I really see the toughness that the Texans saw in Cushing before drafting him. He looked very confident and on a mission out there. I'm proud of the rookie stepping up.

4. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Agreed,...For a sec., on one tackle I was wondering if Chris Johnson was going to get up after being pressed 1 foot into the ground!... Great tackler and instincts for the ball and should get better!

edit: This:...To protect the guilty, we won't name any names, but one Texan, not wanting to get ejected for throwing punches, left LP Field with a small chunk of red hair that used to belong to Finnegan. If Finnegan wants it back, he can try to retrieve it at Reliant Stadium in November

Awesome!

#4 ROXRAN, Sep 23, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  5. conquistador#11

finnegan has red hair? never seen him without the helmet.

I watched the game again on NFL replay. The camera clearly showed the greatest wide receiver in the world pulling on finnegan's face mask. It was indeed...awesome. Like we said in the game thread, if andre did that it's because finnegan deserved it. :D