1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans release hoyer

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Juxtaposed Jolt

I wonder how many Hoyer jerseys were sold during his tenure.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

No one is buying any jerseys of the guys BOB has acquired

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe one to his mom, one to his dad, and one to Mr. Clutch.

4. Mr. Clutch

I won't build a Mallet shrine like you did.

Never said Hoyer was good, just better than Mallet. 100% correct.

After Mallet got released you actually took his side and criticized BoB, smh

5. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

As hilarious as this back and forth is, neither player is on the Texans anymore, they were both terrible. I think you both need to post detailed and opposite opinions on Osweiler and we will see who was right at the end of the season.

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

Or we can just ignore :p

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, like with every QB they've brought in, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt at first and people will accuse me of being a superfan and if he sucks, I'll say he sucks and people will accuse me of having some kind of hatred for that player.

8. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I have so much hope riding on BOS.. but I've always like Savage, I hope he proves a solid back up option.

9. Mr. Clutch

Truthfully I'm not that high on Brock but I hope I'm wrong. A lot riding on him obviously

10. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

One game-worth better than Hoyer/Mallett/Yates/Weeden tandem and we are a 10 win team lol

11. Mr. Clutch

He definitely has more potential than those guys

12. Crutch City

Crutch City Member

He is gonna be good. His stats from last season don't blow you out of the water. In fact how similar they were compared to Hoyer's really shocked me. He had a few nice weapons in Denver, but that offense was a mess most of the season. Their line was awful. Couldnt run the ball. Both tackle positions got owned badly most weeks. Thomas was dropping balls all season. No production from the TE position.

Even when you look at the SD game at the end of the season when he got pulled for Manning, Brock was playing a decent game. His teamates really let him down. He had a fluke INT in there, but I remember that game being more about dropped passes & fumbles by the RBs & WRs. Brock honestly did a damn good job leading that team last year all things considered.

I just hope people temper their expectations a little. BO is still a young QB & is nowhere near his peak. Thats gonna take some time. Not weeks...but seasons. He will make some rookie mistakes & he still has a lot to learn. But from watching him last year, he is gonna be good. I like what I see. He has a high ceiling & a very high floor. He may not end up being great, but he definitely won't be terrible either.

I don't see him being Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady or Peyton Manning. I don't think he is that QB who is gonna carry a team that has no running game & a terrible D to a Super Bowl. But I don't see him holding a good team back. I think he fits into more of a Russel Wilson, Andy Dalton, Carson Palmer category of QBs. Someone who can be excellent in the right systemI if he has a decent line & some good weapons around him. An elite game manager, who isn't going to cost you games by making stupid mistakes.

I think the Texans have most of what he needs to be set up for success. While the O line doesn't look to be the biggest strength at the moment, there is still a draft & now that we released Hoyer, a little more $ left to address that. I love the Lamar Miller signing. I think we could use another receiving threat, wether that come from a slot WR or a TE. Then I think our O is set. The D is in really good shape. Other than some depth down the middle @ DT, MLB, & S, I think that unit is elite. Once things start to click, I think this is gonna be a really fun team to watch.

13. Mr. Clutch

Hope you're right! Definitely need to get more receiving weapons

14. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, I hope he doesn't take too very long to develop, if so, because after two seasons the Texans are going to have to make a decision as to whether or not the guy is worth top QB money. I think year 3 onward with this contract he's making like $21+ million each year.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hoyer met with <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Jets?src=hash">#Jets</a> last night, also meeting with coaches today. Expect him to have a new team quickly (4-5 other teams interested).</p>&mdash; Adam Caplan (@caplannfl) <a href="https://twitter.com/caplannfl/status/722788919889248256">April 20, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

16. htown1984

htown1984 Member

Man looking like the Jets will sign him..

so what happens to Fitzpatrick?

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Retire maybe? He wanted quite $15M and don't think any team is willing (or able at this point) to pay him close to that.

If Hoyer signs with the Jets, best option is to just sit out until training camp in case someone gets hurt and teams get desperate.

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

Denver is still an option. If he is willing to sacrifice money for the postseason. I'm sure he is tired of moving around and wants some stability with a long term deal.

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

At least the Texans won't have to face him this year.

20. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Damn! We need all the wins we can get.