1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans Release Derrick Newton

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by deb4rockets, Apr 12, 2018.

1. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

They'll be fine.

Just like the Seahawks releasing their best players recently. It's a business people know that. Plus he's only a role player not a star so the only ones that will get wind are SERIOUS NFL fans and Texans fans. The media will be focused on the Kaepernick saga. So everyone else will be hom hum about it and time will heal all this for the Texans. They've still got the Quessenberry feel good story going for them as well. So that's something.

Needless to say, this is F'd up for Derek. Hope he gets better and plays again soon.

2. Fantasma Negro

Ain't happenin, ie Ahman Green/ Jerome Mathis

hakimthdream02 likes this.
  3. Nimo

Nimo Member

Speaking of Quessenberry; with Fulton, Selemente, Fuller, Mancz, Martin, draft picks. David Q is probably next to be cut.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well I didn't mean it like that. Obviously the dude has a lot of money and got to live his dream for a little while. But his career was cut short by a nasty injury

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Because they don't want any tackles?

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

Q was last seen trying to play guard. Remains to be seen if he goes back trying to play tackle.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If he's really Brandon Brooks' brother and he feels bad about it, he could chip in some of the 8.7 mil he's making this year to get him by. I have a feeling if that was suggested to him that he'd no longer see him as a brother anymore.

deb4rockets likes this.
  10. Nimo

Nimo Member

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Derek Newton has a lot of rich siblings it seems and he just got paid for a full year after his career ending injury. He'll be fine.

12. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Not being able to handle a simple roster cut is just a reminder of how poorly this organization is run. Complete embarrassment when compared to the Astros and Rockets

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure that the team or their new GM Bill O'Brien did anything wrong this time. Looking more into this, he failed to complete his physical, not being capable or willing to do some of the exercises and ended up with swelling and soreness after what he did manage to do. Passing the physical is part of collecting the roster bonus. I'm not sure he's got anything to complain about other than the fact his body crapped out on him.

Paying a guy who still can't complete a physical more than a year after injury is not something a smart franchise would do....certainly the Rockets or Astros wouldn't.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  14. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I think we probably agree, actually. He should have been cut months ago with no fanfare. That's how professional organizations run. It saves everyone the embarrassment of a sensitive situation.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I agree, but they gave him every chance to pass a physical and he failed. I think maybe they wanted to keep him, but his lack of progress led to them having to show him the door. Given the wording of his contract, there's literally no difference between doing it today and doing it 2 weeks ago when he initially failed to complete his physical. Looks more like they took their time and really thought this out before pulling the trigger on him. IMO that's not bad and ask anyone, I'm by no means shy about hurling criticism at new GM Bill O'Brien. I just don't think in this instance it's warranted.

It sucks when players can't make it back from injury, but if the Texans were being dicks about it, they could have cut his ass the off-season after it happened and saved themselves some money on a lost cause. Instead they did him right by paying him for a full year that he was worthless to them. They did right by the player AND didn't make the mistake of keeping him around yet another season.

macho GRANDE and UTSA2step like this.
  16. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Agreed they gave him a shot just like they did with several other players. Unfortunately Newton couldn't bounce back. That's life

17. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

The Rockets paid Yao Ming and several other players big money even after their major injuries. So you're wrong on that one Bobby

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough, but there's a difference between injuries like Yao's that ended up being career ending that weren't necessarily thought to be career ending at first. With Derek Newton, we all realistically knew he was done the minute the severity of the injuries were known. Tearing both patella tendons is just too much to come back from. I mean, only 50% of players who even tear one ever return to the NFL.

Also the difference in quality of player is pretty extreme. Newton was a former 7th round pick who managed to become a sort of decent tackle before all was said and done with, Yao is a hall of fame player both due to his quality AND his importance to the game. You give guys like that a ton more leeway....and all that gave him was being able to finish out his final season on the IR before not being offered a new deal.

19. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I get your drift but it was still wasted money. And realistically speaking we knew Yao had issue with his feet way before we drafted him.

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This Schlick is already old and it is not even training camp.

macho GRANDE, csj and houstonstime like this.