1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans release Danieal Manning

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Mar 31, 2014.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Danieal Manning on being released:&quot;I'm dealing w/ it great.Both parties agreed 2disagree. It's nothing personal.I'm really not upset at all&quot;</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/statuses/450696482274828288">March 31, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Danieal Manning released after not agreeing on pay cut:&quot;2be honest I'm actually kind of happy.We all came2an agreement.There's no bad blood&quot;</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/statuses/450696835879809024">March 31, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Danieal Manning 2Texans fans: &quot;I would like 2thank them 4all of their support. These fans embraced me. They made me feel at home every time&quot;</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/statuses/450697539184906240">March 31, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Danieal Manning to Texans fans: &quot;Those guys will be missed. I wish I could bring them with me where ever I go.&quot;</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/statuses/450697787579957248">March 31, 2014</a></blockquote>

2. Remii

Remii Member

I actually think Manning wanted to be cut... Especially if he can end up in Tampa with Lovie. Much better situation for him.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Not upset about losing Manning at all, but I am upset about the current state of our safety position overall.

#23 Ziggy, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  4. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Glad we are freeing up all this cap room after all the decent free agents have signed elsewhere. Excellent timing!

Regarding Manning, that is a pretty hefty number for a guy who was hurt much of last year and who is on the wrong side of 30. I wish him the best...he was rock solid for a while there.

1 person likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Keo is currently the only FS on the roster.

6. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

$4.5 million would be almost enough to sign a vet FA like Ed Reed

:grin:

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

yeah ...i kind of feel this way too. what the hell were they waiting for on the Manning thing? seriously ....

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They weren't ever going to go after the top FA's, this year was always going to be bargain basement shopping only. It really doesn't make any difference that they waited.

9. Summer Song Giver

Ed Reed said to available.

Get'er done Rick.

10. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I think they were trying to convince him to take a pay cut. Once they saw that he wasn't, they probably shifted gears to free up space elsewhere so they could go out and sign his replacement before cutting him. They didn't want to cut him BEFORE having his replacement in case things didn't pan out with the Clemons signing. At least that's my read of the situation.....I could be completely wrong.

11. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Honestly, a very stupid move by the Texans if they do not plan on using the "saved money" on free agents this season.

This was the last year of Manning's contract and we already have cap room, so this wasnt a move that needed to be made. If you're going to cut him, then you have to use the money on someone this offseason...why? Because this was the last year of his deal, if he had played this upcoming season, then we could have received a compensatory pick in the future once he moved on.

By cutting him now in the final year of his deal, we are no longer getting a future compensatory pick...and we already had extra cap money...so we better spend it now!

1 person likes this.
  12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This team is rebuilding no matter what McNair says.

Watch them chop JJoe next.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Let's pretend Ed Reed never played in Houston last year (which shouldn't be too hard because he was invisible). Signed with the Jets from day 1 and flamed out there. I think there is a good chance we'd at least inquire about signing him.

14. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Clemmons was the the best FA safety available at the time we signed him. Unless somebody else gets cut somewhere, we already signed Manning's replacement.

15. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

That's fine to rebuild...but it makes no sense from a financial and long term point of view if you're cutting someone in the last year of their deal when you have cap room.

Manning could get easily get you a 4th round compensatory pick. So unless they're planning on spending that money that they just saved, it was a very stupid move on the part of the Texans regardless of what kind of rebuilding phase they are currently in.

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Very good point. We'll have to see how much cap room we end up with at the start of the season.

At the very least, we could've kept him until we actually needed to free up more money.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The Houston <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Texans&amp;src=hash">#Texans</a> have released SS Danieal Manning.</p>&mdash; Houston Texans (@HoustonTexans) <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonTexans/statuses/450725328881602560">March 31, 2014</a></blockquote>

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm glad someone finally told them.

19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Good Lord thats frightening

20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

This is spot on...hence my concern about waiting so long.

And for those that think Clemons solves our problem...our starting safeties are average at best, and we have no one worth a damn behind them. Now we have a safety need; whereas if we had kept manning we would have been set; and had the compensatory pick to boot. I just wish we had done this weeks ago.

#40 Aruba77, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014