1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans release 2013 4th round pick Travardo Williams

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by mario_v, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Rick Smith's a figure-head.

It was Kubiak's team, and its now BOB's team.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

WHY???
    considering these are ALL KUBIAK'S PICKS?

Rocket River

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

*THIS* is not on smith . . this is on COACHING and the guy himself
    You can bring Deion Sanders in . . . but he gets fat and lazy
    How can you blame the GM?

Rocket River

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Rick Smith is heavily involved in the scouting process. Couple that with the fact that Gary Kubiak had very little involvement on the defensive side of the ball once Wade was brought in, and there is no way that Trevardo and Sam Montgomery were his guys. They were some combination of the scouting department, Rick, and Wade, and ultimately Rick is over all of them and deserves the heat for these picks.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Agreed. These were Kubiaks' and Wade's picks.

This year was BOB's draft.

6. Remii

Remii Member

He's the one that goes out and find these guys. Doesn't matter if he picked them in the draft or not.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm still trying to figure out what the hell his job is. He's not responsible for anything at all...so we can't fire him because he doesn't deserve any of the blame? Where can I sign up for that job? Guy can literally do no wrong...because at least according to some reports there isn't anything he actually does in the first place.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I cannot say he picked garbage players or not.

I don't know if the players were good .. . but poorly coached
    or they sucked

Hard to judge defensive players when Frank Bush was a disaster
    Wade comes and the defense becomes all world
    So . . . was it the players or the coaching?

Same with Kubiak . . . .who was doing the picking anyway?

No one knows

Rocket River

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

So was Chris Jones his guy too? The coaches let Jones go and he goes on and has a productive season with the Patriots.

10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

My previous post was poorly worded. I was indicating that the defensive players drafted did not really fall under Kubiak, IMO. They may say it's a group process and Kubiak might have had veto power if there was an offensive guy he loved at each pick, but I'd put all defensive draft picks under Rick Smith/scouting/Wade Phillips before Kubiak.

So yes, ultimately I put Chris Jones, Montgomery, and Williams on Rick Smith.

11. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I've never been a Rick Smith basher, but the 2013 draft has turned out to be flat out embarrassing --- Minus Quessenberry, don't think it's fair to place the blame for his situation on anyone. I think Kubes and Co were on full tilt.

I'd also like to think those dog days are behind them now. With new scouts, coaches, systems, culture... I want to say things are looking up. The fact that Rick Smith is still here shows that he wasn't the trigger man for all of those picks. His biggest crime is probably that he let that foolishness happen. Now is that alone a fireable offense? Maybe, but Bob didn't think so.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I dunno if it's really THAT bad, sure the middle rounds were all busts but when you get 4 solid players (even though they only kept 3 of them) in a draft it isn't that bad. They got a really good WR, a really good safety, a decent TE, and they drafted a decent NT/DT. If you take out Quiz, they missed on 4 and hit on 4, that's not quite "embarrassing" IMO.

13. vince

vince Member

From what I understand, the GM selects the guys the coaches think will fit their style!!

What good is it to select a 4th linebacker in the 1st round, when there are already 3 pro bowlers under team control, and the team plays a 4-3.

The GM does the analysis on the players, and works the phones to move up or down the draft. But, there is a big reason coaches in the NFL are paid as lucratively as they are! You give the coaches the horses they think will help them succeed.

Where the GM has a bigger impact on the players selected is if the player is an elite level talent. A corner stone of the team type of talent.

Let's not forget that the Texans this past year were talent wise, on the cusp of championship aspirations, then the ceiling caved in on them. It is understandable the GM would have been more willing to plug the holes as the coaches had suggested. Afterall, the coaches had earned their reputation with playoff victories! Nobody expected the 2-14 fiasco that happened!!! Nobody!!!!!

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

In typical organizations, the coaches answer to the GM. In this organization, that's never clear from the outside. So putting it off on Frank Bush (in a typical organization) would be similar to me telling clients that its my associate attorney's fault when they screw up their case....as if I have no responsibility for the people I employ.

Which brings me back to...what the hell IS his responsibility? He's not responsible for the players because they're all picked by coaches...and he's not responsible for the product, because that's left to the coaches....and he's not responsible for the coaches who are hired apparently, either.

Seriously, that job is Teflon coated. No responsibility for anything.

15. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

He's the owner's friend and figurehead GM. We should all be so lucky.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This sums up Rick Smith I think. He needs to write two letters.

“When they forced Khruschev out, he sat down and wrote two letters to his
    successor. He said – ‘When you get yourself into a situation you can’t get
    out of, open the first letter, and you’ll be safe. When you get yourself
    into another situation you can’t get out of, open the second letter.’
    Well, soon enough, this guy found himself in a tight place, so he opened
    the first letter. Which said – ‘Blame everything on me.’ So he blames the
    old man, it worked like a charm. He got himself into a second situation he
    couldn’t get out of, he opened the second letter. It said – ‘Sit down, and
    write two letters.’”

Rep to the first person who guesses the movie

17. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Traffic.

18. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

Yep but did it that so they did not have put him IR.

19. Jet Blast

Jet Blast Contributing Member

The Cardinals cut Trevardo Williams today.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>That was quick: Cardinals waived LB Trevardo Williams.</p>&mdash; Adam Caplan (@caplannfl) <a href="https://twitter.com/caplannfl/statuses/497786885784489985">August 8, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>