1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans release 2013 4th round pick Travardo Williams

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by mario_v, Aug 1, 2014.

1. downbytheriver

I am shocked Travardo hasn't removed the second r from his name... makes him sound silly. Travado is a much more hirable name

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I'm still reminded of the report by Ian Rappaport that the front office was frustrated with the amount of control the coaches had over the draft. Again, if you're going to give primary credit to Wade Phillips for drafting JJ Watt, doesn't he deserve at least some of the blame for Montgomery and Williams?

And I agree with Jev5555, blaming Smith for Quessenberry breaking his foot in camp and then getting CANCER is a very douchey way of trying to beef up your point. Same goes for Brennan Williams who was cut because of an injury he sustained AFTER he was drafted. I get wanting to blame Smith for the others, he definitely played a role in it, though I don't think you can put it 100% of it on him and we already got rid of the other guys who would've been involved (Kubes, Wade, maybe Reggie Herring). But sometimes **** just happens, and that's what's happened with B. Williams and Q. Can't really blame anybody for that.

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's pretty brutal. I wish we could get a real story of who pressed for those guys. It's ok if you don't draft starters in the mid rounds but you at least want to get guys that will contribute something.

Note; i'm not really including Quessenberry

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Steelers 2006 draft.

9 selections.

First round pick was Santonio Holmes. Fourth round pick was Willie Colon. All the others were out of the league within a few years (4 of them never made any NFL team).

5. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hear ya on the 6th round issue, but as top heavy as this roster is/was with expensive vets, we need to find a way to fill-in the roster with less expensive guys like the Griffins and the Quinns and all that to really balance out the roster.

I don't fault them for DQ coming down with cancer, hopefully, that isn't how it came across. I was just pointing out the lack of production we got from the folks we picked. I do know we can't keep missing on 3rd and 4th round picks like they've shown a propensity to do. I honestly liked that they were trying to improve the OL in the draft, but they can't keep drafting injured players that can't play (Williams and maybe Nix this year). That was a bad draft, and will only get worse in hindsight if Hopkins and Swearinger don't show some improvement this year.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Really? The guy was diagnosed with lymphoma, c'mon now..

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Here's the real question though: How many "bad" drafts has Rick Smith had in comparison to the other teams? Are you picking 2006 because that's the only one you could find that was comparable to how bad this one was for the Texans?

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well it wasn't really THAT bad though, the first 2 rounds are more than solid and there are 2 more guys who are good NFL players....unfortunately we lost one of them, but even then getting 4 usefull NFL players in a draft is pretty good.

9. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

If I were a crappy player, I would put "draft me Rick" on the back of my shoes, at next years combine.

10. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

49ers 2012 draft:

Only LaMichael James has been at least useful.

11. Airdough

Airdough Member

Most of this draft was just bad luck (Bonner/Williams injuries, awful diagnosis for Quesenberry, and Jones getting claimed off waivers). The real busts of the draft were Montgomery and Williams as both were being counted on for depth at linebacker so Reed could move inside full-time to support Cushing.

12. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I think the worst part of the 6th round picks is seeing one producing in his 1st year....for another freaking team.

I think when comparing to old drafts you have to look at how many players were still on the team or had a chance to produce at the start of their 2nd year. That's the part that made the draft so bad. And if you blame this on the coaches, what the hell is Smith here for. Our cap situation is not exactly stellar.

13. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Why doesn't Wade Phillips get any **** for the failed defensive picks? It was assumed in the past that he had a lot of control in the draft.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He should

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

It's already been talked about that Wade and the coaches had too much power in draft pick selection. For all we know Rick Smith could have been recommending other players, but the coaches wanted to go with the guys we ended up getting. At least that is the only plausible thing I can think of to why he would still be around.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

This is why coaches making picks is bad.

Unless you have Belichick.

18. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

this is why they go to commercial when we draft...

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/AZCardinals?src=hash">#AZCardinals</a> claim LB Trevardo Williams (6-1, 237) off waivers from HOU and release CB Todd Washington.

<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CardsCamp?src=hash">#CardsCamp</a> <a href="http://t.co/t7SXl6VGB7">pic.twitter.com/t7SXl6VGB7</a></p>&mdash; Arizona Cardinals (@AZCardinals) <a href="https://twitter.com/AZCardinals/statuses/495670637596131329">August 2, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. Remii

Remii Member

Probably so huh... Lol.

It will be interesting to see if Williams makes the Arizona squad.