1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans Player Development - Kubiak Era

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rocket River, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What players do you think the Texans have 'Developed' into better players?

It is easy to see Watt but I wonder how much of it is coaching and how much is just WATT?

Arian was a diamond in the rough . . .
    Schuab was considered good . . . but he did become better
    Tight Ends - Owen and Graham
    Wide Receivers? meh
    Kickers? meh

Rocket River

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

linemen. Myers especially. And Duane. Kareem. Jason Allen? Quinn. Mitchell?

Wish I could say Barwin/Reed..

also add Dreesen to your TE's above

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Schaub definitely, in my opinion. All of the tight ends. Kareem Jackson (although mostly Wade). You could even say Vonta Leach. Certain people say Kubiak taught Foster how to be a professional, and personally, I think he does that for all of our player.

edit: Forgot about the lineman.

4. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Cushing, Duane Brown, Glover Quin, Kareem Jackson, Eric Winston,

This goes as much on the coaching staff as it does on the Scouting Staff. Every player has a ceiling, if we only draft "system" players with average ceilings, then how can we ever hope to "turn rags into riches"

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yeah the Oline has some pretty impressive stories of improvement.

6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Mike Brisiel
    Chris Myers improved a lot with the Texans.
    Joel Dressen developed into a solid TE and got paid for it.
    Kareem Jackson is now a solid CB.
    Glover Quin is about to get a huge contract as a FA.

7. Bublanski

Bublanski Member

disgusting kubiak apologists love to take credit for foster but he sat out the whole year while kubiak kept trotting out steve slaton. Kubiak only gave foster a chance at the end of teh year when slaton practically played his way out of houston.

a lot of revisionist history here with kubiak and foster.

If kubiak had actual eye for talent (which he doesnt) foster would not have sat out an entire year.

Everybody loves to label kubiak "offensive guru" or "great with QBs" but nothing could be further from the truth.

Look at all of his decisions with quarterbacks:

Sage Rosenfels
    Dan Orlovsky
    Matt Schaub
    Rex Grossman
    TJ Yates
    Case Keenum

Matt Schaub over Peyton Manning anyone?

GTFO with that bull*****.

watch him waste another half decade playing matt schaub with case keenum and tj yates.

SPEND A HIGH END DRAFT PICK ON A QB YOU INCOMPETENT BUFFOON!!!!!

8. Relentless

Relentless Member

No one pay attention to 713's sister. She's 24/7 PMS

1 person likes this.
  9. Bublanski

Bublanski Member

why you so butt hurt?

how about a football rebuttal instead of some transparent, limp, and lame personal attack on a stranger in the internet?

10. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Your post started out attacking Kubiak apologists, followed up with a contradiction about Slaton/Foster, insults at Kubiak, expletives, and ends with an all caps rant. You're not doing a good job of promoting sound football discussion.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Give us the great "player development" coaches and who they developed.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

*shrug*
    I dunno . .. that is why I asked the question
    I wanted to know how people felt about Kubes' on player development.

Rocket River

13. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Apparently 32 teams, over 7 draft rounds, saw the same thing Kubiak and the Texan scouts saw - that Foster needed a year of "development" before he was ready to contribute.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You forgot to mention that we also drafted Tate before unleashing Foster as if Kubiak was still unsure about him... but, I would have done the exact same thing. Slaton was coming off a great year and Foster looked talented but unreliable to me. Definitely seemed like a project player, not someone you trot out there and hand the ball to 30 times. I also got the impression that Kubiak didn't like Foster much. He came off like a headcase.

15. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

On the development side, it is sort of 50/50.

WRs:
    Jacoby Jones: Looking at him, I'd give credit to the Texans organization for his great return skills. His WR play however never got off the ground here, although possibly not having expectation every time he did good of becoming a #2 WR or Andre Johnson successor or the shock of being let go was what was needed to turn him into a professional.

David Anderson: I'd say for a 7th round pick that lacked physically compared to others, the team got the most out of him.

Kevin Walter: Considered a bust in Cincinnati, he has been great for the team.

Posey, Martin and Jean : Way too early to tell how they will pan out. People expecting AJ Green or top flight draft pick return time of them producing must not watch how other receivers actually develop, it takes 2-3 seasons before things start clicking. Here's hoping that they don't take as long and one of them has a big game this Saturday.

RB:
    Steve Slaton: One stellar rookie year and then after a nerve injury he was never the same.

Arian Foster: Anyone questioning Foster's development as a pro needs to be banned from all Houston sports message boards because they are either too dumb or trolls.

Ben Tate: Weird, has the potential to be a top flight guy but it seems he like many other younger backs has injury issues. This year has sucked for him, but how much is it the offensive line and how much is it on him?

Offensive Line: I won't go into individual break downs but for the most part, they are great when it comes to getting the most out of tackles. Offensive guards, the record is spotty. They have drafted many, few have worked out great, our best offensive guard Brisiel was undrafted and most of the ones we do draft rarely ascend beyond back up status (Studdard, Shelly Smith and now seems like Caldwell). Brooks and Jones may or may not change this but we have seen them falter on big stages all season. Rookie wall or just bad players?

Secondary: Glover Quin is the best success story they have had of developed secondary player. They have drafted at least one or more in almost every draft. Kareem Jackson is getting and may have gotten there with Wade and Vance Jospeh but their is little doubt that GQ has been the best since jump.

Defensive line: Better with Wade.

Linebackers: We actually have had some pretty solid linebackers, but like most it is better with Wade, but even before Coach Phillips, DeMeco was great and grew as a leader thanks to great veteran pick ups like Danny Clark, which in turn helped him teach younger guys like Sharpton and Cushing to be better.

Special Teams: Kicking honestly, was never as bad as some teams had it besides Kris Brown's final season. Punting, we've had some problems but even Matt Turk sort of improved. Special Teams have been on the backslide for a while, didn't hit really bad until this season where the absence of blaming it on Jacoby really highlighted that our returners are not getting protection and the coverage team gets lit up once every 2 or 3 games.