1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans place Nix on IR, sign Ryan Pickett

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Sep 24, 2014.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Really? Offensive linemen taken in the first round were expected to sit the bench the first year? When was that?

Certainly true for some QB's..but I don't recall seeing OL go in the first round and then sit the bench. If you're using a first round pick on an OL, it's typically because you have IMMEDIATE need.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Su'a-Filo vs. Ben Jones

Pick #33 vs. Pick #99

23 year old rookie vs. 25 year old 2 year veteran

I'm not going to crap on Su'a-Filo for not starting right away. It's not like Jones was supposed to be a washout. Having them rotate year 1, then moving Jones to center to replace Myers next year is the desired outcome.

3. MadMax

Agreed. I don't mean for my point to come off as criticism. I just assumed for a team going 2-14 we'd need a lot more impact from this last draft to see real improvement this year.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I think the majority of impact we need to see is improvement from our year 2-3 guys (Jones, Mercilus, Posey, Brooks, Hopkins, Swearinger) and full healthy seasons from our All-Pros.

Oh, and QB play that doesn't make your eyeballs bleed.

Derek Newton and Brooks Reed are in contract years, so no wonder they suddenly don't suck butt...

5. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Yeah, I like QB's that move up on draft day. Like Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Ryan Tannehill. Guys like that.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The Texans weren't a typical 2-14 team though, no matter how much the panicky fanbase wants to think so. There is a lot of talent on the roster, in fact XSF not starting IMO is a good thing because it means Jones was doing well.

This year we've already seen either good things or potential out of

Clowney, XSF (preseason), Fiedorowicz, Pagan, Blue, and Prosch....that's 6 picks either already doing something or showing promise. What the whining has always boiled down to is that some people don't like that the Texans didn't pick the QB they wanted them to pick be it Bridgewater or Manziel.

I wish Nix was ready to go just like anyone else, but that's no reason to jump off a bridge or go around screaming about the sky falling.

7. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Well if he's replacing fat ass Powe, it's not like we're losing much as far as speed goes.:grin:

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, true, but Pickett is old, fat, and he's been out of the game for a while, I question his stamina. In the end it doesn't matter because something had to be done, we were getting torn up in the middle and there's a chance Pickett can be fat and in the way.

9. showa13

showa13 Member

Clutchfans: "if he isn't good as a rookie in his first few weeks of the season, he's a bust and will never get better(never mind the fact that he hasn't even reached 25 yet)"

10. solid

solid Contributing Member

"fat and in the way" You know, that is really funny. "So, what position do you play? I am the fat guy that is in the way, can't be moved and takes awhile to run around.":grin:

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Give me of two examples of a bad rookie who good good HERE.

Not ones we cut and became great elsewhere because there are tons of those.

12. Summer Song Giver

Only the Texans could draft a sucky islander, when the rest of the NFL does it they get at worst a solid 10 year starter.

Hahaha Texans

/too early but I like screwing with the fanboys

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You can make a damn good living being fat and in the way so long as you can't be moved and you take up sufficient space.

Well easily off the top of my head, Derek Newton and Kareem Jackson.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Arian Foster
    Brandon Brooks
    Brooks Reed

And we're just scratching the surface.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Okay, now that was funny.

16. MadMax

I disagree with the original premise regarding the talent on this roster. I'm certainly not jumping off bridges or screaming about it.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

A lot of really pessimistic Texans fans disagree with that premise, it's cool. Let the Texans win a few games and all of that will change. There is nothing as predictable as the knee jerk reactions of fans.

18. MadMax

Or maybe you're wrong? I mean, that's possible, right? It's possible your assessment of the talent on this team is incorrect, right? Do you entertain that possibility or nah?

I'll willingly tell you my opinion may be wrong. Certainly wouldn't be the first time, and nor will it be the last...unless I meet an untimely end before the sun sets today.

I don't consider myself "really pessimistic." I just see it differently than you do.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Of course there is a chance that I'm wrong, but I think it's a lot more likely that people are overreacting. If you sit down and actually look at the players on the team, most people see a lot of talented guys.

20. MadMax

I think there's a lot of talent..that's older and injury-prone at this point. I think at the most important position on the field, we're something less than talented. I think a lot of our talent was a lot more talented in years past.

I'm thrilled beyond words with Watt, of course.

I think Clowney is a real talent, and I hope he can stay healthy.

I think Hopkins is talented.

Those are the 3 young guys I'm most encouraged by.