1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans OTAs

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Commodore, May 23, 2016.

1. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

The WR depth is insane.

No excuses for Brock, other than he's still young...

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

Beef? lol
    You responded to a comment about a coach being happy in May means complacency with Kubiak as an example. It means you agree with the comment and even took it a step further and gave an example. My response was a happy coach in May does not make a complacent coach by giving the example of coaches who are generally happy...even in May. ''

You reference one season where the team was very disappointing. What about the seasons he was happy in May and they still had a good season. Amazing, huh?

You took a broad statement and narrowed it to one coach, and then to one referenced season. I don't think you know what you're talking about. I know some want reasons to be excited about this season and this coach but the statement that a happy coach in May is complacent is just not true.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Potentially. Rookies usually don't do much.

I think Mumph can take a big step

4. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Hahaha - you got me all wrong Cap'n. But I'm glad you think you've got my full intent and meaning well beyond anything I was implying.

I really didn't want to have to write a dissertation to say I feel O'Brien has a lot riding on this year and that another sloppy start like last year (and the previous) would be very bad so I'm glad he's taking it serious even if it is just otas.

I also think kubes is a good coach Frances, but during a season that was make or break he was much too light on the team from otas through preseason leaving us ill prepared for the year (. ****, I didn't realize you were his personal defendant and that and any criticism would be taken as a personal shot that you felt necessary to defend.

Just put me on ignore. I may point out a flaw in another personal hero of yours and cause you undue stress.

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

Maybe i should have responded to fyreball instead but posting a response to a post about happy coaches in May being complacent with "see: Gary Kubiak as Texans coach" is a way of validation. You don't say that if you don't agree.

Again, my post has nothing to do with defending Gary Kubiak. I didn't even say he was a good coach. You just did. My post is about the illusion that being a grumpy coach equals a good coach. We are only discussing Kubiak because you brought him up. I brought up Pete Carroll. I'm not even anti-OBrien. He can come out of a practice right after having an argument with his wife so he is grumpy. Oh he's mad. That's good. He's a great coach. Or maybe he's mad at himself for a mistake he made in coaching practice. Yeah! That's how you do it. Be angry. Be very angry. smh.

p.s. Feel free to put me on ignore if you get all flustered when someone disagrees with you. Life is too short.

6. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Brian Smith does not come across well to me. He is reflexively Hot Take in his columns. His analysis and reporting are paper thin. He also craps on players needlessly. Smith had a tweet that mocked Carlos Gomez's command of English not long ago that he deservedly caught some heat for. Humiliating people just doesn't sit well with me.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Isn't he a friend of bill O'Briens?

8. conquistador#11

clowney had a brush with death(lisfranc). Apparently that's the 90s microfracture and tommy john.
    Last year was basically his rookie year and played really well. This year will be a great one for him.

9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Having to talk about day 1 of Summer practice in shorts like it's an event.

Practice? We talkin' about practice?

10. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I don't. I am thinking it is Strong that makes the big second year leap. I also think this is why we took Fuller over Doctson, they think they already have a Doctson in Strong. Mumph couldn't get anything going ESPECIALLY on special teams where we needed him. This is just my opinion, but I'm thinking Strong not Mumph.

11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Lol I think your vitriol is supposed to be directed at me, but either way, it's misguided. I was merely pointing out that being "discouraged" by an ornery coach in May is kind of asinine. There's no magic formula on how the demeanor of a coach should be. Every coach has his own methodology, and for O'Brien, it's clear he likes to spit fire. I was referring SPECIFICALLY to him when I made my complacency comment......I'm not sure how you were able to twist that into a sweeping generalization of all coaches.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Some of the questions were really silly. Actually, most of them. I totally understand BOB being annoyed at them.

But he's been in this game long enough to know how it works. Answering stupid questions comes with the territory. It's part of why you get paid the big bucks. And it's just as much an obligation as team meetings.

You're the head coach. You're the face of the team. Reporters have a job to do. You play the game whether you're annoyed or not.

All that being said.....I don't think I've ever been bored watching a BOB presser. Watching him slowly get annoyed as the PC goes on....is actually pretty entertaining. :)

13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I watched the entire press conference, BOB was running late for a meeting because of that useless fluff press conference. Maybe they were running late since they had so many players visit the podium and that exasperated the schedule. Also, it was pancakes who really was pissing him off early in the press conference and really got him in a mood. Pancakes was insisting on talking about individual players and injuries. That's no excuse, he knows BOB. That's just lazy journalism, can't come up with good questions that follow protocol.

14. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

it amazes me that the chronicle still employs that man.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

It has the potential to be. Nuke is still the only one who's ever done anything substantial in the NFL.

If our 2 rookies pan out....AND Strong (remember him?) finally starts getting it...this offense could be really fun to watch.

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

You posted "Why would you be discouraged by that?? It means he has expectations for his players. A happy coach in May is a complacent coach.". That last statement kinda makes it general and the sentence before that tries to interpret his being upset as having high expectations. You made the generalization, not me. We are in agreement that there is no magic formula on the demeanor of a coach. No vitriol here. Maybe a little sleep deprivation.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's also Shorts who is coming off of a respectable season.....but you know he'll get hurt at some point because well, he always has and it's been a long enough career to where you should just expect it. That said, I think he'll be a decent enough target for the games he is healthy enough to play.

18. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

I think it will work in part because of our running game... we will be playing so fast that teams won't be able to catch up to what we are doing. Having 5 WR who are athletic, speedy... mixed with Lamar Miller... Bubble screen, slants, play-action, deep ball...

I've never been this high on a Texans team, because we've never had a team this talented.

If our defense can get 3 and outs and just perform.

We will be damn good (barring injuries).

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It would be incredibly disappointing if it was the defense that let the team down this season.

20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

You're right. I can see how my statement could be interpreted to be more general than what I had intended. I was specifically talking about O'Brien, and I should have been more clear. Either way, I think we both agree that being discouraged by a coach's bad mood in May holds about as much weight as being encouraged by a coach's happy mood in May.

1 person likes this.