1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans OTAs

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Commodore, May 23, 2016.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I was also including special teams.

Mumph had 280 yards punt returning and 338 yards kick returning.

Strong wasn't even active a bunch of games.

2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

i guess you don't realize Strong was a projected 1st round pick at one point. Work ethic and injuries dropped his stock to the 3rd round. It seems he has found the work ethic dropping all the weight and is healthy. As he got into shape last season, he saw the field more and more. I think he will have a bigger season than Fuller this year.

Strong has huge upside......

3. Mr. Clutch

I guess you don't realize that he dropped for good reason, and he came into camp out of shape last year then got busted for pot in the offseason.

And then he wasn't even active in a bunch of games and only got put in because of injuries, then didn't do much.

I don't know what's gonna happen, no one really does. I was just surprised that Tania had Mumph getting cut, that's all.

4. magman

magman Member

I think Mumph is gone, Ervin and Miller will probably take over kickoff and punt returns.

Mumphery isn't dynamic enough in the return game or productive enough in the passing game to keep him on the team over other guys especially Strong who has the potential to be a good 2nd wideout. I really feel he is out of the doghouse with O'brien too.

5. BoneYardDog

BoneYardDog Contributing Member

You must be confusing Strong and Shorts.

Strong is waaaaay better than Mumphrey and will have a breakout season. He will be the second most important wr on the Texans.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Consider the source. I will say though that him bashing Strong this year is much better than him praising Hoyer all last year, so maybe there's hope that he'll get better one day.

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

No way Strong gets even close to being cut...he has too much potential. Who knows what happens next season, but for now, his spot on the team is very safe.

I also think it's very telling that the receivers took a pic together and Mumph wasnt included in it.

I'd like for Mumph and Cliett to make it though.

8. Dash

Dash Member

So who on our current roster can consistently cover TE's? Will be one of our greatest weaknesses going into the season tbh, only player that has proven to be able to cover TE's is Antonio Allen when he's healthy. He was able to shut down Gronk at one point so I don't see us cutting him.

9. Dash

Dash Member

Patriots would destroy our defense at this point with that dual TE threat. We couldn't even handle Travis Kelce, how are we gonna be able to handle Gronk AND Martellus Bennett?

10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Dillon and possibly Client would probably be our best bets. Followed by Hal and Dempsey, I guess.

I have high hopes for Client. I think he makes the team over Carlos Thompson on that list. Otherwise, I'm okay with it.

I love this team. The telltale sign is that quality players aren't making that roster.

This may be, arguably, the most talented team in Texans history, including the staff.

11. Mr. Clutch

We'll see. Strong did next to nothing last year and when he got time it was because of injury to other WRs.

I'm just skeptical on Strong despite his talent. He's had a rocky start to his career, to say the least.

12. Mr. Clutch

Says the guy who praises Mallet still and said last year our backup WRs (shorts and Washington) were elite.

Stop. Posting. About. Mallet. In. Texans. Game. Threads.

13. Airdough

Airdough Member

WR (and really any other positions) need 3 years before you can really have a good handle on their ability to stick. He was drafted because he has a high ceiling. He just also happens to have rock bottom floor which is typical of riskier picks in rounds 3-7.

In June, anything the Great Ganguli puts out is clickbait only and bears in no way the coaching staff/front office is thinking.

14. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Wouldn't be the first time a Rookie WR drops in the draft and comes into camp out of shape and has a disappointing rookie year only to follow it up by shedding a bunch of weight and being a stellar contributor in his 2nd year. Strong Parallels Alshon Jeffery so far considering he appears like he is working hard, shedding weight and adding what he needs to be successful. I assume he won't be as good as Alshon was in his 2nd year but he does have the potential to be an above average #2 receiver even this season if his head is on right. Alshon feasted on single coverage his 2nd season since Marshall commanded so much attention. Very similar situations IMO so don't count Strong out just yet as he has the talent and it seems his brain and work ethic are finally catching up to his talent.

The arrest could have been the wake up call he needed.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

...you may think it's "praise" to say that someone is better than Hoyer, but it's really not, it just means they play the QB position in the NFL. Weeden was better than Hoyer too, is that "praise"?

Also, the Texans WR corps was the best and deepest in franchise history (not that it means much), which is what I said.

Be better when it comes to football talk. Pointing out times in the past where I was right isn't going to make up for your shortcomings.

16. Mr. Clutch

Wow such a liar. You said the wr backup corps was one of the best in the league.

Don't lie. I have the post.

Still defending Mallet smh. I guess we have to deal with you posting about Mallet in Texans game threads every time he throws a 5 yard pass.

New information right?

17. Mr. Clutch

That's all I was saying really. Mumph was a solid contributer and is on a cheap contract. I dont see them cutting him when he provides value as a wr and special teams.

And doesn't have any attitude or weight problems

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Depending on how it's defined, they were one of the best in the league. That would make them by far the best in Texans history.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-best-10-nfl-receiving-corps-this-season/

Again, stop making me embarrass you, just accept your limitations and move on.

19. Mr. Clutch

Although Alshon also showed more potential his first year. More yards and more yards per reception. 15 yards per reception is a lot better than Strong's 11.

I'm not saying it's possible, but I'm skeptical. I'm glad we drafted some WRs this year.

20. Mr. Clutch

You're stupid. That list includes Hopkins and in that link PFF says shorts and Washington are below average.

Stop posting about Mallet and scrubs wrs. It's pathetic.