1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans OTAs Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Jet Blast, May 19, 2013.

1. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Then why, pray tell, did posey become suck a big factor in the playoffs when he was given Jean's time?

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm sure it's all Schaub's fault.

What an original concept.

3. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Posey had more targets than Jean in the regular season!

Posey had 14 to Jeans 12

Jean had the same number of catches as Posey with 6

Jean smoked Posey with 151 yards to Posey with 87

Jean's AVG was 25.2 to Posey with 14.5

Jean had 1 TD and Posey had none

Jean had 3 catches (half) that were over 20+ yards, and Posey had 1

Jean had 83 YAC while Posey had 32

and Jean had 5 1st down catches (all but one of his receptions) and Posey had 3

With less targets in the season than Posey, Jean was completely statistically better. For some reason Schaub never targeted Jean again after week 13.

In the playoffs...

In one game Posey had 3 catches for 47 yards

Jean not targeted.

4. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Wow those statistics are like comparing sifilis to gonorrhea.

One is a rookie that hardly played the beginning of the season and the other has been with the team and in the league for 2+ years.

It's not like we can wait and see for this season since Posey will be out half of it. But if Jean can't make it happen with so many rookies and second year players competing against him we'll all know where he stands "potential" wise.

5. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

Impressive stat regurgitation. Even more impressive than the lack of context and comprehension.

So let me get this straight, since you really didn't answer my original question...You really think that Jean got iso'd by Schaub and Kubiak? Is that really where this argument is going?

6. bobmarley

I am saying the opportunities he was given, he capitalized on. Then wasn't given any more opportunities.

Blame who you will.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

What if....and I know this sounds crazy....but what if he wasn't thrown to as much because he wasn't open as much?

8. bobmarley

Your post is like having Syphilis and Gonorrhea at the same time!

What does 2+ years mean? This was his first full season. He was out his whole rookie year.

They can always ship him out like they did with Holliday because Lord knows our coaches did all they could with him.

9. bobmarley

Prove it.

10. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Very mature.

Great post will rep, +1.

2+ years means (even thru injury) you have time to study the playbook, learn from the vets, and get used to the schedule... it's not like they're secluded from society cause they have a contagious disease (although you might need to be for your apparent contagious r****dation).

11. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

He was given the opportunity almost all year and he did not capitalize. He came into training camp with the job in his lap. Yes, he made a couple of big plays, unfortunately they were few and far between. Look I'm all for him playing well and he certainly has the physical tools but last year he didn't play well for the majority of the year.

Also, pointing to the number of targets as any indicator is pretty weak since, as we all know, if he isn't open then the QB probably won't throw the ball.

It's your conspiracy theory so you tell me.

Why don't you prove that he was open
    :rolleyes:

you've been spending too much time in D&D.

12. bobmarley

Schaub has a history of locking on to certain receivers.

If you are not one he picks, then your chances are few and far between.

Please give me some other quantifiable reason how you know he didn't play well. Targets is really the best available tool to know how many times he is thrown to. Even though it was his second year, he was still being treated like a rookie. I think he has better hands and big play ability than Posey.

How many times has Schaub thrown to Dre or Walters when they were double teamed. Jean was very rarely ever covered by anything other than man or zone. Schaub just chose not to throw to him.

13. Big Dogzz

Big Dogzz Member

I honestly think after the long pass on 3rd down in the New England game (regular season) that Lestar wasn't able to come up with that catch the team decided to completely can him for the season after that.

Keyshawn Martin had a drop on a slant pattern once and didn't get the ball thrown to him not one more time again. The Texans just phase you out if you don't make the most of your opportunity. But it's a cut throat business. You gotta know that going in.

So Posey learned got in and started to perform. Can't knock him for making the most of his opportunity. And let's not forget that ridiculous catch he made in the playoffs against New England. I have to believe these little details are what is making the difference here and honestly you can't blame the staff for thinking this way. Lestar is an undrafted guy going against a guy who was picked in the 3rd round. You better show up and show out. Plain and simple!

But let's get this one thing straight. This is NOT Matt Schaub's fault. It's on the player. And this is coming from a guy who suggested we dump Matt Schaub for Peyton Manning last offseason. Which let me say I was right btw but that's neither here nor there. Point is I'm not saying Schaub does wonders. But he knows how to go through progressions. I'm sure they just weren't getting open.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26
    Texans receiver DeVier Posey, on the bounce back from a torn achilles: "I should be on the field next week doing drills."

Texans DeVier Posey, on return from torn achilles to game action: "End of September or October. "I think I'm as far along as I can be."

15. Jet Blast

Jet Blast Contributing Member

Monday's quotes:

Head Coach Gary Kubiak
    (on practice today) “We had a lot of mistakes but I probably gave them a little bit too much. But we’ll come back tomorrow. Got three more days this week to get these OTAs in and get a bunch of stuff taught and then go into the mini-camp, decide how we’re going to go about that next week. Just need to have a good week.”

(on what he’d like to see from his team by the end of the mini-camp) “What I’m doing right now, to be honest with you, probably have got everyone way overloaded, all these young guys. I’m really trying to see what they can handle. We’re throwing a bunch at them every day, just seeing who can keep up and really trying to send a message to them of what they’re going to have to handle when we come back. You expect some of these things. But it’s interesting because you see some of them handle it. You see some of them struggling right now. We’ll sort it all out but try to get them all in position to compete in July.”

(on if the offense appears to be behind the defense because so much information is being thrown at them) “I don’t feel that way. I just think we’ve got a lot of young guys, so they’re going to make mistakes. And like I said, we had a few today that I take responsibility for because of what I’m trying to see from them. Other than that, I don’t see a behind factor. I don’t see that at all.”

(on how the team is doing health-wise) “We’re fine. Everybody’s alright, I think so.”

(on NT Earl Mitchell) “(NT) Earl (Mitchell) is doing really well. Earl’s obviously a starter and he acts like one right now. He’s just very confident in what he’s doing. Usually that’s what you’ll see when a guy gets that opportunity, they’ll take it and run with it. Everything this offseason, not just OTAs, has indicated that Earl is ready for his turn. (I’m) proud of what he’s done so far.”

(on what he’s seen from P Shane Lechler) “He’s got a big leg and obviously he can directional punt really well. That’s important. That’s something we struggled with in the past. I really like the work he does inside the 20. But I think the biggest thing is he gives everybody (on) special teams confidence. When he talks, those guys listen because he has such respect from his years in the League.”

(on which young players are jumping out at him) “There’s quite a few. I don’t know. When I say young players, I include (WR) Keshawn (Martin) and (WR) Lestar (Jean) and people like that, and (RG) Brandon (Brooks). They’re young players. Defensively, I think I’ve said this a few times, watching (OLB) Whitney (Mercilus) work this year. All of the sudden he goes, he’s a full-time starter. He’s a very young player. He’s obviously much improved in everything he’s done. So that will be the key to our team this year; how quick guys like Whitney become four- and five-year players instead of second-year players. But they’ve had a good offseason. It’s been good.”

(on what he’s seen from CB Brandon Harris and SS Eddie Pleasant) “I kind of put all those guys in that same category. They’re second-year guys or third-year guys that have been role players on this team that all of the sudden their roles are a lot bigger. Like I said, that’s a key to our improvement, is guys like that becoming big-time players. They won’t be the role players anymore. They’ll be frontline guys so they’ve got to step up and do a good job.”

(on how Brandon Brooks has stepped up to handle the responsibility of being a starter) “Good. We’re not in pads so it’s tough to see linemen but the biggest thing, he’s comfortable mentally in what he’s doing so his physical talents have taken over. He went and took care of himself this offseason. Y’all can see how he came back, so that tells you how important it is to him.”

(on what he is seeing from a very young group at outside linebacker) “Well, you see the ability. Obviously, getting the two guys in the draft in (OLB Sam) Montgomery and (OLB) Trevardo (Williams), they bring a lot of rushing-the-passer experience with them. The key is, can we get them in the right place and do the right things with them? So if anything, the fact that we are so young, these OTAs have been very, very important to those guys and moving Brooks (Reed) has let them work with the first and second group. How far they come will be crucial to our success.”

(on how OLB Bryan Braman fits into the competition at outside linebacker) “Very much so. I mean, (OLB) Bryan’s (Braman) basically working as a starter. He’s a different guy than he was last year for us. The young kid (OLB) Willie Jefferson that we’ve got out here, reminds me of Bryan a lot that we had last year. They’re going to be called on to play and play big for us. So you need to have a great—not only these days, but summer as well.”

(on if OLB Bryan Braman has a ways to go during the preseason to earn his trust) “I think that’s with everybody. All of the sudden he gets put in that role, if that’s where he starts off when it’s time to go play, then obviously it’s going to be up to him to hang on to it and prove he belongs there. He’s holding his own. He’s had a good seven practices.”

1 person likes this.
  16. bobmarley

I'm excited about Braman getting starter reps. Guy is a beast.

17. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

18. Jet Blast

Jet Blast Contributing Member

Texans facing question marks at right tackle
    By John McClain
    June 3, 2013

An observation and prediction with seven practices, including a three-day minicamp, left in the Texans' offseason program:

They have a problem at right offensive tackle.

Brooks Reed will start at outside linebacker when the Texans begin the regular season at San Diego.

First, let's look at right tackle.

Derek Newton, the returning starter, and Brennan Williams, the first pick in the third round, are sidelined because of knee injuries.

During organized team activities, Newton and Williams have spent so much time on stationary bikes they look as if they are preparing for the Tour de France. Newton is recovering from surgery to repair a patellar dislocation. Williams, who is supposed to challenge Newton for the starting job, suffered a minor knee injury on the second day of rookie minicamp and has been reduced to being a spectator.

Other than a major injury, at this time of the year there is nothing worse for a draft choice with high expectations than being hurt and falling behind.

The Texans are hoping Newton will be ready for the start of camp July 26, but it is not guaranteed. They would love for Williams to be able to return for the last four organized team activity sessions and the three-day minicamp so he can get in shape and start to show them what he is capable of doing.

Meanwhile, Ryan Harris is the starting right tackle. Harris signed a one-year deal to return, and he is suited more for the swing tackle role than being a starter.

The coaches would prefer to avoid the problem that plagued them on the right side last season. When you boil it down, it is amazing what the Texans accomplished offensively with what they had to deal with on the right side.

They had stability with right tackle Eric Winston and right guard Mike Brisiel. They waived Winston because they needed salary-cap space. Brisiel left when Oakland offered him $4 million a year.

Remember, last year's starters were supposed to be Rashad Butler at tackle and Antoine Caldwell at guard. Each was entering the last year of his contract, and good things were expected. However, Butler suffered a season-ending triceps injury in preseason. Injuries bothered Caldwell to a point where rookie center Ben Jones was forced to play guard for the first time.

Newton, a seventh-round draft choice in 2011, was supposed to use last season as another learning experience. Instead, he also was forced into the lineup because of Butler's injury. Harris, waived by Denver, was signed to provide depth.

With a right guard who had never played the position and a rotation with two tackles who were supposed to be backups, the Texans still finished seventh in offense, including eighth in rushing. And sacks weren't an issue. Only six teams allowed fewer sacks than the Texans (28).

The coaches hope Brandon Brooks has solidified right guard, but right tackle is an issue because of the injuries. They don't know how Newton will play when he is healthy. Once Brennan is healthy, he still has to get in shape and make up for lost time.

Meanwhile, rookie offensive tackle David Quessenberry, a sixth-round pick from San Jose State, is taking advantage of his opportunity to get more repetitions because of the injuries. He has impressed the coaches with his ability to apply on the field what they have taught him in the classroom. They like his quickness, agility and attitude on the field.

When the players put on pads, the coaches will find out if Quessenberry has that nasty mentality common among linemen who have to cut block so much in their system.

Now, about Brooks Reed. Because of Brian Cushing's recovery and Tim Dobbins' absence - remember, OTAs are voluntary - Reed has been playing inside linebacker.

As J.J. Watt pointed out last week, inside linebacker Darryl Sharpton, who finished last season on injured reserve because of a bad hip, has been terrific. He played in only seven games last season because of injuries. When Sharpton is healthy, he is starting. But he hasn't been able to stay healthy consistently.

Unless veteran Bryan Braman or one of the rookies - Sam Montgomery or Trevardo Williams - plays well enough to earn a starting job, Reed will move back outside and start opposite Whitney Mercilus.

When injuries aren't a factor - and that hasn't been often when it comes to the linebackers - the Texans' best foursome is Reed and Mercilus on the outside and Cushing and Sharpton on the inside.

19. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

When did Newton suffer that injury? I'm drawing a blank as to when he dislocated his patella.