1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

'Texans not the best in AFC' ESPN Insider

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rmoreno, Oct 23, 2012.

1. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

the irony in this post is the Texans didn't even create any turnovers against the Broncos. they pretty much beat the Broncos straight up.

2. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Stop taking it so personally, guys. Just enjoy it when we get to the Superbowl. ;)

1 person likes this.
  3. David Stern

David Stern Member

Agred with all your points. I would pick us in the hypothetical matchup against Manning in the playoffs. I'd still rather face a different QB. IF the texans have a bad game in the trenches / don't get pressure on the QB, the 2 QBs in the AFC that would hurt us the most are Brady & Manning.

Also Manning is getting his timing, feel for the game & arm strength back. Other than Manning there's nothing on that team that I fear, Von miller included.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

Actually, it's not so much that the Texans being ranked low so much as Denver being ranked high. I can see why stats would hate the Texans. The whole strength of schedule, getting blown out by GB, etc. that usually doesn't bode well for stat tabulation.

I just don't see why it would love the Broncos so much. But I think this comment from footballoutsiders.com summed it up though, as well as the fallacy of their computing.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I was at Denver for that game. Demaryius Thomas lost a fumble. In any case, this is a season ranking.

The Texans are #5 in giveaways vs takeaways with +7. Denver is #22 with -3.

Some advanced stat people think that ratios like that involve a lot of luck, so their computer rankings adjust for that. I don't agree, not when we have JJ Watt, but there you have it.

6. Classic

Classic Member

This guy probably has great insurance and benefits too. SMFH

7. macalu

really?...i still can't recall the fumble. oh well, not afraid of the Broncos.

8. Jet Blast

Jet Blast Contributing Member

Last play of the game. They were doing all those laterals. I think Barwin recovered the ball to end the game.

9. macalu

come on, that doesn't count.:p

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

And this article proves you were absolutely right. You have been VINDICATED.

And for everyone that is scared of the Broncos, I actually hope we draw them in the playoffs. How sweet would it be to beat Manning twice in the same season? With the 2nd loss ending his season and possibly his career? Are you kidding? Talk about poetic justice...

Can't believe you wussies are still afraid of him...

11. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Manning isn't gonna be Denver for just 1 year.......

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

He will be if we hit him just right...

1 person likes this.
  13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

HEYYYY!!!!! :mad:

;)

14. Classic

Classic Member

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Beat the crap out of Denver?

I hardly call that beating the crap out of a team. What they did to Baltimore was beating the crap out of someone.

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

If Ben Tate doesn't fumble, we would be going on either 38-11 or 34-11. THAT would have been an ass kicking. But as it stands, yes, the final score says it wasn't an ass kicking. However, nobody outside of Denver (and Peyton groupies) would say that the Texans did not completely dominate that game for the better part of 4 quarters.

17. droopy421

droopy421 Member

[​IMG]

18. ThaShark316_28

3-5 team after 11/4.

I love how people pretend like Denver can actually stop people. Defense was ass last year, but no one paid attention because of the Tebow ****.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

I actually looked into their rankings and stuff. A lot of it is actually fascinating, although somewhat flawed. I honestly think those who actually like deeper analysis check things out. They certainly manage to quantify a lot of things that people generally just go by gut feeling on.

Some nuggets

1. The Texans by their system are by far the favorite to make the playoffs(99.7%), get the #1 seed(65% which to me seem insanely high), make the Super Bowl(36%), and win the Super Bowl(16%). Yes, they lead all NFL teams in every single one of these category. Some by quite a large margin.

2. The Texans special teams are HORRIBLE. Only Detroit is worse, given how Tennesse's ST destroyed them. I knew they were bad, but the numbers are atrocious. And while they haven't truly cost us any games yet, it can easily cost us one game if not upgraded. And this affects their ranking. If you just account for offense and defense, the Texans are ranked #3 overall.

3. GB killed the Texans ranking. Which makes one wonder if there should a certain limit to accounting for blowouts. Similar to how people always say in college football about running up the score in 50-0 blowouts. This is probably the biggest beef I have with the system as constructed, which is whether one should devalue garbage time plays vs plays that matter. For example, the Ben Tate fumble vs Denver's last second desperation fumble in the Broncos game.

Overall a lot of interesting stuff I found. Certainly some things which probably will help me enjoy football more.

If you ask anyone outside of Houston that the scoring breakdown by quarter was 7-5, 14-6, 10-0, and 0-14, I sincerely doubt they would say one team dominated the game for 3+ quarters.

20. thething

thething Contributing Member

The article is r****ded and has dumb logic, but here is the point he should have made.

Denver is a good team. In a one game playoff, they could potentially beat the Texans or make the superbowl if Peyton Manning gets going. They have a chance.