1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

'Texans not the best in AFC' ESPN Insider

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rmoreno, Oct 23, 2012.

1. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Silly article. This bs will become irrelevant come Sunday night. There's no playing 'catch up' to Drew Brees.

End of the year... story may be different.

#21 ubigred, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  2. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Sure they aren't the same team that the Texans faced earlier, but we were a Tate fumble away from blowing them off the field. I guess one could argue they are the best team in the AFC, but I don't see how they could be better than a team that beat them.

We lost one game we've played against a good team. Denver has lost 3 of them.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

LOL. The combined score of Denver's last two games after 3Qs? 28-55. Falling behind by an average of 2 TDs in your most recently-played games is absolutely, positively not the mark of a team getting better.

Too many people are giving waaaaaay too much credit to Denver. Desperate 4Qs - and lord knows, we witnessed our fair share as Texan fans in 2010 - cannot and should not override the fact that you are consistently and thoroughly getting beat while playing your game - the game you planned and practiced during the week. It indicates that you're being outcoached and outplayed.

As of this very moment, Denver should scare absolutely nobody. They're mediocre. And they play the Saints and Bengals in their next two meetings. Highly possible they'll be 3-5 in two weeks. A rematch with "24-0 at the half" SD and a trip to Baltimore are still on the schedule, too. They look like a 9-win team.

4. Raven

Raven Member

I will say it again. The pro sports media is useless.

5. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Told ya'll to not sleep on Denver... Wait until the playoffs get here...

6. conquistador#11

To me, the best team is the chiefs. sure they've only won one game but they have a strong running game and they look cool in red. chiefs>broncos>Texans!

now pay me $1 for my insider take!

hmm, clearly the broncos are damn good team, but nothing is going to change the fact that our front seven can make manning uncomfortable.

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Based on this post, am I to assume that you agree with the article?? As Ric/Hey Now pointed out, the Broncos have not done anything for anyone to be afraid of. They have fantastic 4th quarters because Peyton has to go Gangnam style just to make up for the fact that he's probably down by 14+ points.

8. Relentless

Relentless Member

Oh Great One, what are the numbers for Powerball tomorrow?

9. Relentless

Relentless Member

Gangnam style? Please stop, have respect for yourself.

10. codell

codell Contributing Member

I would rep you, but I am going to rep MadMax instead since his preceding post, although good, is worst than yours, therefore making it more deserving of my recognition.

Sorry bout that.

1 person likes this.
  11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Lmao, that was good.

12. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Lol, that made as much sense as the article...

13. David Stern

David Stern Member

Everyone agrees that the article is garbage but I would rather not face manning in the playoffs. We have too much history (all bad) with that guy. Sometimes legends step up (see Montana & chiefs vs oilers) having said all that. This article is garbage & we would be favorites against any team in the AFC right now (road or @ home)

14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

The Broncos were lucky to not lose by 40 plus that game. The Texans must have dropped 4 picks in that game. We are too good defensively.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

What do the Coach's Poll and AP Poll say?

Oh yeah, there are playoffs. So who cares.

16. ITALIANDREAM

ITALIANDREAM Member

Not scared of manning in the playoffs....assuming he holds up for that long. Am tired of the media riding his nuts.

17. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

yeah the texans have bad history with Manning, but that is because Texans sucked for years, they were an expansion team in 2002, so you dont expect a expansion team, to get better until 6 or 7 years after their first year.

In the last 3 games of Manning vs Texans, Texans lead 2-1.
    and that is because Peyton didnt face the Texans defense last year, it could be easily 4-1 Texans over Manning.

we had a lot of bad history against Baltimore, and look what happen.

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

I love advanced stats as much as anyone, and I've found a lot of fun nuggets on football outsiders over the years. Things like average starting drive position, TD% per driver, etc. are really interesting.

That said, there is a such thing as applying a "common sense" test to any ratings. And I still don't get it. I can see some writer writing stuff about the Broncos being a sleeping giant because of Manning getting in a groove and everything, but based purely on stats, it makes no sense.

According to their own stats, the Texans have beaten the #6 #12, #17 team as their 3 best wins, lost to the #2 team, has a 6-1 record. The Broncos have beaten the #16, 24, 27 for their 3 wins, lost to #7, 8, 9. And they're ranked above every single team they lost to due to having stronger strength of schedule. WTF!?

When a stat doesn't pass the smell test, that's when you should tweek it and make it better. Not try to put it out like you're smarter than everyone else. Of course, if the Broncos do make the SB, then I will retract my statement and never doubt DVOA again. But I really doubt that will happen.

19. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

My guess is these stats and models treat turnovers as "random." And since causing turnovers have been a big part of the Texans' victories this year, they get ranked lower.

But that's just speculation on my part.