1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texan's NFL draft hypothetical

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Ottomaton, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

You can't have it both ways. Is it the scheme? or is it the player?

If he got after the QB as you say then why don't the numbers show it?

Look I am not saying DON'T draft him, I am just saying if there is an interior lineman that is rated a premier pass-rusher then you should get him instead of DJ. Now if there is no lineman of that type and DJ is on the board, we should get him.

2. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

I'm not looking to take both sides of the argument. His sack totals do not reflect an inability to get to the passer in this specific case. Texas' defensive scheme was not an agressive scheme for linebackers to produce high sack totals. More often than not they were in zone and looked to the down lineman to create pressure in the backfield (which is traditionally the concept of the 43 defense).

You do understand the concept of the 34 defense, don't you? What are you talking about "premier pass-rushing interior lineman"? There is little need for that in the 34. In fact, outside of Warren Sapp in Oakland, I can't think of any pass rushing interior lineman that plays in the 34 . Let alone, one that produces high sack totals.

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

More or Less, but I prefer the term 'Evil Sympathizer"

And yes, a pass rushing DL in a 3-4 scheme is as useless as t*** on a boar. Linebackers, Linebackers, Linebackers.

4. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

1. I do understand the concept of a 3-4 and they require good DL to engage the OL so the LBs can make plays. The Texans do not have a top rated pass-rusher at LB but seem to have good talent, That may indicate that they require better DL to get better pressure to free up the LB.

2. How can you say that DJ is a great pass-rusher when you say the scheme did not give opportunities and his stats show he was not either. If it is just your opinion, fine but don't pawn off your opinion as fact.

And for the last time, I am not saying we should not draft DJ but if there is a top rated player at another position, we should take a look before just drafting DJ.

5. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

updated

1. S.F. - A. Rodgers
    2. MIA - C. Benson
    3. CLE - A. Smith
    4. CHI - A. Barron
    5. T.B. - C. Williams
    6. TEN - A. Jones
    7. MIN - B. Edwards
    8. ARZ - D. Johnson
    9. WAS - M. Williams
    10. DET - T. Davis
    11. DAL - S. Merriman
    12. S.D. - M. Spears
    13. HOU - A. Rolle

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

If Antrel Rolle falls to Houston at #13, they absolutely have to take him. This guy is an amazing athlete, and probably the best player on last year's Miami squad. He was well coached there, and we all know the track record of Miami players in the NFL (Shockey, Andre Johnson, etc.). He's about as can't miss as it gets, and we'd have one of the best secondaries in the NFL with him, Dunta Robinson, Marcus Coleman, and Faggins, who's ready to break out.

7. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

I can see there's lot of good players that could fall to the Texans at different positions, but I'd most want them to get a good OL guy. Or, get him through free agency or something. But, please for the love of God, could they get some GOOD, SOLID, protection around David Carr. Along with seeing the Rockets lose, there's nothing I hate more in sports than seeing Carr get taken down to the ground. I am straight, but I love that guy, everything about him. Most notably his attitude in how he approaches the game, I think he has the potential to be great. He can not keep getting sacked the way he is, or his career will end way prematurely.

If not OL, obviously a pass rusher. It's hard to determine what the Texans need more: pass rush or pass protection, all fans who follow closely know those are the Texans' two biggest problems at this point.

8. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I think many teams will regret drafting another CB ahead of Rolle. The guy looks like a stud.

I don't remember DJ ever rushing the qb. The only time he did was on broken plays. He was in pass coverage alot of the times (hell, he had more ints than tds).

Still can't forget that play where he knocked it out of White's hands.

9. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

Exactly, although DJ might be a good passrusher in the future, he has yet to show that he is one. He was asked to blitz when he was at Texas, but never was a consistent "pass rushing" defender where he is engaged with an offensive lineman while he is "rushing."

There's a difference between a pass rushing defender and a blitzing defender. Not saying DJ could not become a good pass rusher, but he's hasn't shown it or been asked to show it yet.

Anyone that says he IS a good pass rusher is being speculative. Pollack on the other hand has proven to be a good pass rusher in college.

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

OLB is not a priority. I don't see them drafting Pollak. An OL and DL are the top priorities. If there are none left that can be immediate impact players, then I think they should and would take DJ...if he's available. If Rolle is available, I'd take him, too. WR isn't necessary in the 1st. You can get decent ones in the later 1st day rounds.

11. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

DJ was asked to drop back in pass coverage too often. But, in general, he was never a great pass rusher at Texas because he has difficulty shedding blocks. His strengths are covering the field sideline to sideline, punishing ball carriers, and having a nose for the football.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Not always:
    [​IMG]

13. moligity

I don't remember, did the bills run a 3-4 defense back then?

14. SamFisher

Yup. The 3-4 was the default defense for most teams in the 80's until later in the decade when the 4-3 came back into vogue (Buddy Ryan helped make it big again).

Anyway, if I recall correctly, Buffalo lined up like this during it's glory days:

RE Bruce Smith
    NT Fred Smerlas
    LE Art Still/other guys whose names I forget
    ROLB Daryl Talley (I might have the sides f-d up)
    RILB ??? Carson Gardner or Carlton Bailey or something like that
    LILB Shane Conlan
    LOLB Cornelius Bennett

I think back then though the 3-4 didn't take ends for granted as they did now - you knew where the blitz was coming from. I think (and I might be wrong) that Smith pretty much lined up out wide like a conventional 4-3 DE and Bennet mostly blitzed like a DE as well - though he was a good coverage guy too.

IIRC, the only teams that stuck with the 4-3 through the 80's for sure were Chicago (buddy ryan) and later Philly, and also San Francisco, and Washington, maybe a few more that I can't remember.

15. moligity

That's right; although I remember that Jeff Wright and Phil Hansen played along Bruce Smith the majority of his career. Anyway, I didn't particularly like them, I respected them, but didn't like 'em.

I remember Bruce Smith was a monster, and as you pointed out, lined up outside the OT. Capers, like most of the 3-4 coaches use the lineman more to provide alleys and open things up for the LBs. Anyway, I just hope we do something about our pass rush.

16. SamFisher

Yeah, those are the names I was searching for, for whatever reason I could remember his older DL colleagues names but not his newer ones.

17. e-bull

e-bull Member

I'd definetly go for protecting D.Carr with the 13th pick, I'm hoping for FSU OT Alex Barron, just what the doctor ordered. What good is another WR if Carr can't throw the ball b/c he is on his back or injured?? The Texans NEED protection for their smooth running Carr before he starts breaking down due to injury or just gets fed up. NEXT they need a mean SOB on the DL to get in opposing QBs face. Losing Payne WILL hurt, I strongly believe he will make a full recovery and be disruptive somewhere, unless he gets greedy and teams shy away from his injury.

18. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I think DJ's stock may have gone up after the combine. 3.87 shuttle is sick.

19. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I heard we'd love to draft MClarrett...:p

seriously, who knows, but I can't believe AR is going to be the first pick...I can't see him saving SF...

20. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I am totally with you on this response. I think we need to prepare Glenn's replacement. If we do pick up Williams, then I believe that Faggins could handle the job at CB.