1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans meet with Lovie Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Pieman2005, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The Texans have already interviewed Lovie Smith to become their next head coach, according to a report. <a href="http://t.co/fHMpvd3dNg">http://t.co/fHMpvd3dNg</a></p>&mdash; NBC Sports (@NBCSports) <a href="https://twitter.com/NBCSports/statuses/413725436842352641">December 19, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. mick fry

mick fry Member

Not gonna read anything into this, ya got to interview candidates and hes jobless and available others arent as of now.

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

No retreads please! We need bold new leadership, not the NFC's version of Gary Kubiak.

4. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I don't get the Lovie Smith and Kubiak comparisons. Lovie Smith build one of the best defense in the league when he was with the Bears and when to the Superbowl with Rex Grossman as his quarterback. Something Kubiak couldn't do with Matt Schaub.

5. Summer Song Giver

I'm good with Lovie, as the poster above mentioned, he was a successful head coach with a solid pedigree. I hope we get a very good offensive coordinator to pair with him though.

Oh and a real GM haha, McFail.

6. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

minority coaching prerequisite out of the way.

7. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I'd take Lovie or Wisenhunt and Gruden. Might be a safe pick, but he's a solid safe pick.

8. body slam

body slam Member

He's solid. Just not the big splash some fans are hoping for. Personally I think there are better options out there. At the same time I would not be overly disappointed with Lovie.

9. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I'd like to hear from bears fans when lovie was the coach. Were his teams disciplined, not a lot of penalties? Were his special teams above average? Did he like using zone in his secondary? Was he good at clock management?

I already know he's a defensive coach that will probably want ball control run first type of offense, just wondering about his tenure as the bears hc.

10. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I'd take Lovie...he might not be the sexy choice, but he's very solid. He would have taken our roster to the Superbowl, imo.

During his tenure in Chicago, he had four 10 win seasons...he went to the NFC Championship twice and to the Superbowl once. It's not like he was going up against scrubby teams either.

Im down for this, but the OC decision is critical.

11. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

From DABEARS.com; fan's takes on Lovie getting an interview

1 person likes this.
  12. Fantasma Negro

David Shaw won't be available until January 2...

13. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Those comments just show how people look at boxscores and assume the Texans have a good defense. In actuality, our defense is probably bottom 10 in the NFL.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You do realize Bill Belichick was a "retread" when the Patriots hired him, right? His time in Cleveland didn't go well.

The term retread is overused. It shouldn't apply to guys in their 2nd go-round.

15. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I agree. Teams are pretty much guaranteed to score on us when they're in the red zone and we shoot ourselves in the foot with stupid penalties to keep their drives alive.

16. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I've never thought Lovie was being auto-slotted in as coach. Maybe I'm wrong, but it didn't sound as if McNair was describing him when laying out his wants at Kubiak's firing presser. Points in his favor are prior HC experience and the Super Bowl visit.

I don't see any issue with switching to a 4-3, I've mentioned before that our personnel almost fit that scheme better than a traditional 3-4 (which we don't use). Reed, Mercilus, and Mitchell specifically would fit better in a 4-3.

Assuming McNair forces a serious OC down his throat, my only big concerns with Smith are with his cover-2 scheme:
    1) Can we play cover 2 without a bonafide cover safety (let alone two)? Phillips kept drafting hit first guys for the position instead of ballhawks, something I never understood. It's been costing us deep repeatedly the last two years. He's coached Keo up a bit, and Swearinger has range, but neither are nothing close to what you need in a cover 2 base scheme.

2) Is Smith's cover 2 becoming outdated in today's pass crazy NFL? His Bears tended to snuff out the run cold and force third and longs, but the run-run-pass days are gone.

We'll see what happens - it was clear McNair had people in mind that are currently coordinators in the NFL. It does seem like the team has been rebuffed by several candidates though.

1 person likes this.
  17. TexasStake

TexasStake Member

if you guys pass on Lovie you are complete fools. Bears were fools for getting rid of him in the first place. He went from coach of the year to out of a job? Hes done more with less then just about anyone out there (Im talking about the Grossman-led offensive 'juggernaut' which appeared in a superbowl).... He would turn your team into a AFC conference finals participant each of the next 4 seasons. Which is what you guys should've been this year. How can you pass this guy up is beyond me. Should've inked him before he even left the interview room.

18. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Come down Lovie. You've still got a chance.

19. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

Wouldn't mind Lovie, but I really want David Shaw

20. Major

Major Member

College coaches regularly leave their jobs prior to their bowl games.