1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans make me appreciate the Rockets a lot more

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by joeson332, Dec 14, 2014.

1. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Daaaayum....you are like the Tinman of Texans or something or did a football player pick on you when you were in school?

I grew up in Houston and could not care less about the Texans. Stupid name for a franchise and they suck ass. And I wish they would just go away so Rockets would be the kings of the city.

But Houston is and always will be a football town first. JJ Watt is significantly more recognizable then James Harden...at least in Houston.

And we get it...you hate football. But by your constant b****ing it seems like someone is tying you down to a chair on Sunday and making you watch all the games? If you don't like it, don't watch it. But to have the level of hatred you have for a sport is straight up weird.

2. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

The problem is Rick Smith thinks he can outsmart other general managers and has the personality that turns people off. Problem is he is not smarter than other general managers. Luhnow and Morey actually are... and Morey actually has some semblance of people skills. I think the old folks saw what happened when you have an arrogant general manager without people skills in Steve Patterson in the early 90s.

3. joeson332

joeson332 Member

I was drunk when I wrote this post....

4. rawbrah

rawbrah Member

refer back to what I said

bc the millions of people in Houston, even the people that hardly follow sports, know Texans are more popular

5. rawbrah

rawbrah Member

^btw, just so you know

the city of Houston was way more excited when McNair announced that football was coming back to Houston, than when the rockets won any of their champisons

1 person likes this.
  6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Bull****

You must have been born after 1990 because the city was on fire when we won Rings

1 person likes this.
  7. marky :)

marky :) Member

Based on what?

Is there data showing excitement level for each of those events comparing the two?

1 person likes this.
  8. rawbrah

rawbrah Member

since the inception of the Texans in 2002,

the Rockets tied an expansion Texans team with a total of TWO first round advancement

and way more losses

9. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

morey has made more than 2 mistakes, lol.

10. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

those guys can all run the 40 yard dash faster than you, lol.

11. Sanity2disChaos

He aint lying......good times! I even made a few bucks off the NBA Title:grin:

12. Sanity2disChaos

Football...Where a FAT guy can be KING.

13. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

As much as I love football, I highly doubt this. The city was fully drunk on the euphoria in winning our first championship. You had people out in the streets in their cars parading about all night long if I recalled correctly. Hotels opened up rooms to sell championship gear. It was wild.

1 person likes this.
  14. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Clyde Drexler shared a story during the Clutch City private screening to the crowd. He was on his way to dinner with his family in the Richmond area but the traffic was so backed up with people STILL celebrating the Rockets 2nd championship DAYS after it happened. The crowd there noticed he was stuck so they all lifted his car and turned him the other direction to avoid the traffic jam. Yeah I may only have been 5 years old but this city was way more alive with the back to back championship celebrations than the inception. Only thing we remember from 2002 is 19-10 but even that is irrelevant now.

15. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Another thing for people to remember; media excitement =/= city excitement. Just because the media is in a frenzy, does not necessarily mean the city feels the same.

JJ Watt is NOT fat. If anyone thinks he is fat, they are probably legally blind or just stupid. Let's face it, most of us would give up a lot to look as fit as him.

16. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Have you watched TV lately? I feel like JJ Watt is in every single commercial now a days. He is way more popular than Harden. Honestly he is a better football player than Harden is a basketball player. The only problem is he plays a position that is not as important...

Sure the Rockets are the better team and actually have hope, but the Texans will always be more popular.

17. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

McNair is a bottom-5 owner in the NFL.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

as someone who was 20 in 1994...was at both games where rockets won titles...who was at both parades...who was at a pep rally before the Finals started in 1994 at Jones Hall (worked for the Chronicle as an intern that summer)....i can tell you this is simply not true. It's not even remotely close to true.

19. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

YES! Me and my friend were in high school mugging down with 30 year old women. Women lost there f**king minds that night, it was just what some high schoolers with way too much testosterone needed.

Also, I just arrived in Houston in 86 and there was a day game with the Celtics in the finals and they literally stopped class and turned on the TVs to watch the game. It may not be a basketball city but it sure as hell is a Rockets town.

The Rockets always overachieve, the pundits picked the Mavericks to have a better record then the Rockets at the beginning of the season and the Rocks when to the WCF. Gotta love it!

Rockets are always in the mix. 80 finals, 86 finals, 92-99 playoffs championship and always in the mix, 2000s Yao and Tracy injuries (mild success), 2013 and on still being written but already made the WCF. Other than the Lakers you would be hard pressed to find more consistent success over 4 decades.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Yep...i remember all that really well. I was in junior high. NBA Finals day games were a thing :) My english teacher let us watch some of the game. I begged my parents to let me skip school that day (particularly since it was one of the last days of school), but I wasn't allowed.

Same thing with the Astros in the 86 NLCS. I remember watching part of Game 6 in a classroom and running home from my bus stop to watch the rest of that 16 inning roller coaster.