1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans hire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Dec 31, 2013.

?

Do you like the hire of Bill O'Brien?

Poll closed Sep 3, 2014.
  1. Yes

82.6%
  2. No

3.8%
  3. Undecided

13.6%
  1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Some of these questions are so dumb.

2. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I thought the same thing but then I listened to O'Brien answer a similar question. He said "I am first and foremost a coach and that is my passion. I love coaching". I don't really think he wants personnel control.

3. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Great question MattJ, glad someone in there has a brain to ask real questions.

I am totally smitten with our new football coach.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Rick Smith isn't going to be the lapdog. Bob McNair loves Rick Smith. They are family.

BOB will have say, but Rick Smith is ultimately his superior.

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Gary Kubiak is an awesome guy too by all accounts, and plenty of other people are awesome and totally unqualified for their job.

I worry about the scouting and decision-making process that he is so heavily involved in. You know O'brien didn't have much say in draft/free agency with the Patriots so he is probably going to lean on our front office a lot. Rick and co have done a good job with hitting on 1st round picks, but the middle of the draft is where depth is built and ultimately championships are won and we have been woeful when it comes to that. And no need to even rehash the Ed Reed decision.

6. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Yeah, he seemed to indicate that he'd certainly have input, but not full control. Or maybe BO'B is just a better liar than Rick. :grin:

7. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Maybe, but I don't think he'll come out and say anything that might make Rick look bad.

8. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

The Reed signing was definitely a McNair power move. I am 99% sure of that. Rick loved Quin, one of his few mid round gems.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Did some of y'all think Rick Smith should say bad things about his boss in front of his boss during a press conference?

10. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Pretty pumped about the upcoming season. Can someone give me a recap of the Matt Jackson question? I stepped away for a minute.

11. Cannonball

So BO'B said that he's meeting with the coaches tomorrow. From that, you'd think Wade still has a chance to be here. But with the talk about being flexible and creating a different game plan every week, I just don't see him staying here. Wade's defense is what it is. It works against some teams but not others. In the playoffs, we pretty much played New England the same way we played Cincinnati. Hell, we pretty much played NE the same way in the playoffs as we did in the regular season and it didn't work either time. Wade's D can be good and put up good stats over the course of a season, but he's not really flexible or adaptable with it and we're playing a team who's style can exploit it, then there's not much we can do. He's going to blitz, a lot, and leave his corners in man coverage and that's going to be that.

#271 Cannonball, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  12. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Couldn't watch here at work from the looks and sound if things and what BOB is preaching do y'all think we get clowney or a QB first overall

13. Cannonball

He said that something like 9 or the 12 coaches now coaching in the playoffs wouldn't have met McNair's criteria (either didn't have NFL experience or had no HC experience) and asked him why he didn't conduct a broader search for HC.

14. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

He just sounds like a real football coach. None of the repetitive mush that Kubes gave. We'll see whether he succeeds or fails, but either way, it's nice to have that change of attitude & personality from the HC.

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Exactly. And it was exactly the same on the other side of the ball. Which is why you could argue our coaching staff was our biggest handicap. It's also why Ed Reed's comments were true. It's exactly why Kubiak was fired.

So why should we keep Wade again?

16. Cannonball

IMO, he didn't really say anything that would indicate either. People asked him about building his coaching staff but nobody asked about the draft or QB preferences. The closest question was about what the dynamic between Smith and O'Brien would be as far as roster building.

17. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Contributing Member

good get to know you interview/conference... little tangible meat on what is about to take place in the next few months with coaches, players, strategies. I guess what any reasonable person would have expected.

18. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley 5m

McNair: Rick Smith stayed because "he did a fine job." Smith-O'Brien will work together, McNair tie-break. /hard to tweet this in a few char

Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley 10m

McNair: "I think the world of Wade" Phillips. Totally up to O'Brien... and Phillips on future.

19. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

His track record isn't bad, however, it isn't exactly stellar.

On one hand, the Patriots made it to the Super Bowl while he was an offensive coordinator there. On the other hand, his offense managed 17 points in an upset loss to the Giants with one of the greatest QB's to ever play the game. I shouldn't call it an upset loss since the Patriots lost to the Giants twice that season. His offense managing only 20 points in the regular season meeting.

Lukewarm with the hire.

20. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

There isnt one coach in the universe that is immune to the way you cherry picked these "poor" performances. What available coach would you have preferred?