1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans going to sign Mallet and Hoyer

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by vjohnson, Mar 9, 2015.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Um.. people will laugh? Who cares? He'd have been an infinitely better pick.

And why would they still need a QB? Teddy got better and better as teh year went on. He'd be the QB of the future.

Right, as I noted in a previous post. Maybe our current QB-whisperer coach just didn't like him for whatever reason... ok... does that put a lot of faith in your QB-whisperer coach?? It doesn't for me.

I still don't understand why fans are amazed by Bob... he MIGHT be a great coach. he MIGHT be a great QB coach. Or he might not. Kubiak was the same.

Well, the jury actually is NOT out on taking a QB higher in the draft... because as many busts as that produces, it also actually produces great QBs.

But it doesn't have to be just high in the draft... it can be anywhere in the draft. Again, for as much as you say proven over and over again, the real thing that has been proven over and over again is that almost without exception, you aren't winning a Superbowl without an amazing QB at the helm - be it amazing for a short period of time, or an all-time great, and you are highly unlikely to find that amazing quarterback anywhere but the draft.

Again, almost without exception... because there are exceptions, but not as many as there are exceptions to your rule, which implies you aren't going to get a great quarterback high in the draft.

So, to REITERATE, to me, I don't understand the Hoyer signing. You passed over Bridgewater because you didn't like him, but took Savage later on. Now you are bringing someone in to be ahead of him on the depth chart, and likely not drafting a QB this draft.

Surely Bob understands that to win a superbowl he needs a better QB. And to win multiple he needs a HOF type quarterback.

So surely HE HAS A PLAN?? Maybe his plan is ALL-IN on next year's draft.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

They need a back-up; how many different ways do we need to explain this seemingly obvious point?

So... this is Bridgewater residual anger? Just, for the record, Fitzpatrick's rating was 95.3 *all year*...

Ah, you're one of those guys, huh?... Hey, btw, Bridgewater, December? Jets, Lions, Dolphins, Bears...

I don't think every move is smart (I was against them signing Fitzpatrick, for instance); I just don't wallow in all the negativity.

They do. Luck (not the QB) is a significant factor in success. The Colts were lucky; the Packers were lucky. A million different things could have gone wrong. You think it's easy; you don't seem to have a clue how hard it is.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The reason to care is because of the reason everyone would be laughing, it would be a completely wasted pick. Maybe Alex Smith 2.0 is your ideal "QB of the future" but most hope for better. Fitz last season was a better QB than Teddy...but wasting the first overall pick in the draft on a mediocre at best QB prospect certainly would be "taking risks"

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

No it doesn't.

Looking at the #1 overall pick QB's alone, only 2 over the last 20 years would be no-doubt picks if they had a do-over (Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck).

All the rest of the #1 picks (Newton, Eli, Stafford) are all long-shots to be sure-fire HOFers.

Sounds like you won't be happy till they get a sure-fire HOF QB... but you do realize that at any given point, there's only 3-4 of those guys playing in the league at the same time. (With half those current guys being the result of some extremely good fortune - Brady and Brees).

I'd rather stick with "reality"... where its damn hard to find "that" guy, so you make the most of what you have in the now.

#124 Nick, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  5. JayZ750

So WHY sign this backup? How many times do I have to ask this question?
    You're answer is consistently because they need a backup.

Great analysis ;)

I guess when you're hungry you just grab whatever your hand hits when you open the fridge...

Haha... Bridgewater residual anger. You're basically saying you're upset they didn't draft the best quarterback in last year's class and instead mostly drafted players that sucked, didn't play or have nowhere near as much of an upside as Bridgewater does.

Hey, yeah, guess what... that's UPSETTING.

Sorry that it doesn't upset you... are you getting paid by the Texans in some way??

Am I one of the guys that in hindsight doesn't think Schaub was all that great? Yeah, I'm one of those guys. Hahaha... like this is some crazy opinion. This is pretty much factually what happened...

Again, if one were to read your posts throughout your history on here, one would expect to see a team that had performed MUCH MUCH better than it has.

HAHAHAHA...

You are aware that the Texans passed on Aaron Rodgers. They chose Travis Johnson instead!!

The Texans passed on Russell Wilson.

Yeah, it's hard. Being a rocket scientist is hard. Being a cardiologist is hard.
    Guess what... if a cardiologist is consistently being mediocre, even though its hard, he should be called out for being mediocre.

You realize these guys are getting paid millions of dollars right? And that those dollars come from people like me consuming their product?

Oh golly.. this is hard stuff, give these guys a break. LOL.
    No, I will instead be a fan and demand they DO BETTER.

Yeah, it's hard... that's why you're there, mister manager, because I don't have the skill-set to do it.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL wow, this guy. SMH

7. JayZ750

Got it. You don't think Bridgewater will turn out to be a franchise QB.

I think he'd have the ability to turn into the best QB our franchise has ever had.

Time will tell.

I didn't say sure fire HOFs?? Did I? That'd be awesome... but I didn't say it.
    Nor did I say #1 pick.

I said that to get your franchise quarterback, you almost always do so through the draft. Often from the first round, but often from other rounds.

I TRULY don't get the good fortune comments on guys like Brady, Rodgers, Luck, Wilson...

In the NBA draft, Morey finding players like Parsons in the second round, or TJones at the 18th pick wouldn't be described as good fortune. Is good fortune involved? Sure, otherwise those guys wouldn't be there. But beyond that it's because Morey is actually a good drafter...??

What I'm asking for is simple... find MUCH better quarterback play. If doing it via the draft, which is the more likely route, than that means draft better.

Yeah... it's hard... it's also the job of management.

What brought on this threads complaints is the signing of Brian Hoyer... because as best as I can figure out, he was signed because... "why not, they need a backup!"... which is laughable.

8. JayZ750

Seriously... what am I thinking expecting the team I route for to do a better job putting a product on the field that might actually accomplish the goal they say they are out to accomplish!!

It's ludicrous ;)

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If they felt they could acquire a better QB in the draft depending on where they're picking, then they likely don't go after Mallet/Hoyer.

Yes, most NFL starting QB's are acquired via the draft. In even greater numbers, however, are the amount of teams that continue to spend draft picks again and again on failed QB's, which merely extends their runs of mediocrity, and leads to multiple front office regime changes.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough, there is almost zero chance that happens, his upside isn't even where Schaub was in his prime. I honestly doubt that anyone outside of Houston (huge Bridgewater fanbase here as evidenced by last year's threads), Minnesota (homerism), and Kentucky (homerism) would think that he's about to become a franchise QB.

You aren't making rational suggestions though, all you are doing is spelling out that you are a huge Teddy Bridgewater fan.

11. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

Not sure it's any better than keeping Fitz. Fitz has an option for $3.25M. I won't understand signing Hoyer unless he's cheaper than Fitz's small non-guaranteed deal.

Hoyer was pure garbage the last 10 games of the year, after a hot start.
    Fitz is more accurate, but Hoyer has a bit stronger (although just average) arm.
    Hoyer is also coming of a shoulder injury, so the arm strength advantage may be gone.

Hoyer clearly played much worse than Fitz, and both QBs know the BO'B system. Hoyer is already 29, and will be 30 when the season begins, so it's not like he's a young QB with a lot of room to improve.

12. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Coincides with Alex Mack's injury. Line play broke down and thus Hoyer did too.

Not that Hoyer is great or anything (because he is not) but he is not as bad as the numbers from last year showed.

13. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

SMH... We just will never learn ...

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Really? Because BOB has previously coached him. Because he's previously played in a similiar (f not identical) system. Because he has starting experience in the NFL. Because, in terms of back-ups, he'd be among the better ones in the NFL, which is important when you have a young, first-year starter who, FYI, is coming off a season-ending injury.

That you think Hoyer is some random, throw stuff against the wall signing speaks to the depth of your knowledge of this situation.

Uhm, no - that's not even remotely what I'm saying. I don't, generally, evaluate draft classes with such small sample sizes.

I'm not as down on Teddy Bridgewater as bobby obviously is but I think there are absolutely too many people acting like last year was their first to ever watch football. There is no reason to think Teddy Bridgewater is definitively some finish product in the NFL. The list of young QBs that flash and eventually crash is rather lengthy.

No; I just understand the lunacy of drawing long-term conclusions from tiny sample sizes.

Right; says the guy upset the 9-7, missed the playoffs on the final week of the season team didn't "excite" him.

Seriously? I'm legitimately asking: seriously? It's this the level of discourse I can expect from you? Cherry-picking draft picks retroactively and pretending you knew all along? I'm legitimately not interested in such a worthless discussion.

No one is arguing they haven't, on the whole, been mediocre. But why wallow in the negativity? And why hold BOB accountable for mistakes made before he got here? He took a 2-win team and won 9 games with a mediocre QB and no contribution from his first draft class - anyone with an ounce of sense would be optimistic about him putting his stamp on this team moving forward.

Except, of course, people like you, who want to gripe and complain that the Texans passed on Aaron Rodgers 10 years ago.

15. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Worth noting that he took a 2-win team and won 9 games with 4 different mediocre QBs. Typically teams that see 4 different starting quarterbacks over the course of the season don't expect to be in contention for the playoffs going into the last week of the season.

16. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

How much did Hoyer sign for ?

He already agreed.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Brian Hoyer wanted to be in Houston the whole time. The QB should be fun to watch this August. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a></p>&mdash; Dianna Marie Russini (@NBCdianna) <a href="https://twitter.com/NBCdianna/status/575328337578491904">March 10, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Ryan Mallett will be addressing the media today. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a></p>&mdash; PDS (@PatDStat) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/575362497659596800">March 10, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Fitzpatrick to be traded......?
    What could we get for him...

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm thinking 7th rounder.