1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans going to sign Mallet and Hoyer

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by vjohnson, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Again... he's spent the majority of his career being a backup for Brady (like Mallet), except he has one season's worth of games as a starter, for which he's gone 10-6 for a bad Browns team.

So, entering only his second season where he could be considered as a starter, you're basically equating him to a "complete scrub QB".

Again, not really sure why you back yourself into a corner... hell, you did the same thing with Mallet based on only 4 regular season snaps simply due to the fact he was backing up the one of the greatest QB's of this generation playing on a team that has been elite for 15 straight years.

You're also not willing to acknowledge the vast difference a system and coaching can make in a players' performance, which is surprising.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So say the Texans became the laughing stock of the league by taking Teddy Bridgewater first overall in the draft.....what do we do then? We still wouldn't have a QB, so I guess we just draft another this year? And then one the year after that? And the one after that?

You're basically advocating the Texans follow the Browns system for success.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

His team's record means literally nothing to me when talking about how he performed. That said, yes, I'm equating Hoyer to "complete scrub QB" because that's what he's shown. Hopefully BOB is a miracle worker and that changes if we end up needing him to play.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

BOB beat NFL playoff teams with Case Keenum last year coming off the streets... it wouldn't take a "miracle".

I'd also say Hoyer has shown as much as Fitz (minus the "gun-slinging tendencies") in his brief time as starter, and BOB knows what "else" he's capable of... which is what leads to making this move.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Why would they become the laughing stock of the league? Bridgewater didn't prove to be Andrew Luck or anything, but I'm betting he's better than anything we have on our roster, now or last year.

You're saying what if they draft Gabbert after Gabbert after Gabbert.

What if? They are slightly worse than they are now and can get to where they are now any offseason they want by just signing that year's Brian Hoyer?

I'm advocating the Texans front office actually being competent at their jobs.

6. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

The "bad Browns team" had a top 6 offensive line last year with 2nd in pass blocking. It's fair to say that he won't see a major improvement in protection coming here.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/01/08/2014-pff-offensive-line-rankings/4/

6. Cleveland Browns

Pass Blocking Ranking: 2nd, Run Blocking Ranking: 7th, Penalties Ranking: 16th

Stud: What a year from Joe Thomas (+33.5). The sure-fire Hall of Famer continues to amaze with his play, never having an off year, looking like the best tackle of his generation.

Dud: When Alex Mack went down, Nick McDonald (-28.3) got 481 snaps at center. It did not go well… at all. Truth be told, anyone who got snaps at center struggled after the loss of Mack.

Breakdown: The pickup of Joel Bitonio reaped immediate rewards with this line playing as well as any. That was until they lost Mack for the year and that was a hammer blow to their chances of the top spot. Still, there aren’t many lines with as much talent on their roster as the Browns.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And yet, its fair to say he's coming to a much more cohesive/well-structured/"familiar" system that does not fail to take advantage of elite pass blocking like apparently the Browns did.

And even then, the Texans line is not awful... far from it.

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I appreciate your contribution to the forum; really - but you too often bring an ax to carve up the turkey...

First of all, Fitzpatrick's career rating, prior to last year, was 77.5; Hoyer's is 76.8. I recognize the sample size is different - but the idea that a veteran with 77 career starts is somehow easier and more likely to be molded than a still relatively inexperienced guy who's put up similiar numbers is silly. And Hoyer was actually pretty good for the first nine games last year. There's more clay than you seem willing to admit, for some strange reason.

9. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Houston Texans. At least we're not Cleveland.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The fact that Hoyers sample size is small gives me more hope. We don't really know bow good Hoyer is.

We knew Fitzpatrick. He was mediocre and still is. All of his improved stats were due to B'obs game plan.

If Fitz goes to another team, it's back to a 75 qbrating

11. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Line fell apart after Mack went down. It was awful.

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Rarely, which is why I can't fathom why you're complaining about it. Every word you just typed would still apply if they had answered your request and not signed a non-boring back-up QB......

Again, quick reminder... he's the back-up...

The Texans had a very good QB for 4-5 years; no one here appreciated him because... I don't know - who cares. Regardless he was very good and we're just two years removed from that.

Why bother? I mean, really - why? The team has posted 3 winning seasons out of the last 4; they've won two playoff games and have the best player in football locked up through his prime. And you want to gripe about "exciting!!!" QBs... It seems plainly obvious, short of the Texans falling accidently into the next Andrew Luck or Aaron Rodgers, that you likely won't ever be happy so... why bother?

13. buffalobills!!!

Browns were contending for a playoff spot and blew out the Steelers before injuries on both lines snake-bit them

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough, we'll see how it plays out, you could very well be right and I could be wrong. Believe it or not, that happens from time to time and I'm very willing to admit it when it does. I watched Hoyer a bit last year and I just really am not impressed by anything he brings to the table. I might simply be biased by that though.

If you draft a guy like Bridgewater as the top pick in the draft....someone that shouldn't have even gone in the first round at all, people will laugh, and rightfully so. Anyway, even if we had done that, we'd still need to find a QB because we wouldn't have one, how is that any different than where they are now?

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm including 2013... and their spiral down at the end of last year is included in his overall numbers.

16. houstonhomer

houstonhomer Member

do 2 backups = a starter?

nah but in reality, rather go with mallett over a deep first round or later qb pick

next year might be something to look forward to (said and heard this before)

17. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

You're correct. Per the link in my last post, the Texans are 1 slot ahead of the Browns at #5.

Cleveland Browns passing stats:
    274/502 (54.5%) 3465 yards 12 TD, 16 INT
    Hoyer: 242/438 (55.3%) (3326 yards), 12 TD, 13 INT
    2014 WR: Miles Austin (47 catches 568 yards 2 TD in 11 games), Andrew Hawkins (63 catches 824 yards 2 TD in 15 games), Josh Gordon (24 catches 303 yards 0 TD in 5 games)
    2014 TE: Jordan Cameron (24 catches 424 yards, 2 TD in 9 games)

Houston Texans passing stats:
    295/485 (60.8%) 3352 22 TD, 13 INT
    2015 WR: Nuk (76 catches 1210 yards 6 TD in 16 games), Demaris Johnson (31 catches 331 yards 1 TD in 16 games). Posey and Martin have negligible stats.
    2015 TE: Graham (18 catches 197 yards, 1 TD in 11 games)

I don't think Hoyer got to throw to Gordon much last year, so he put up those stats without a real WR1. Austin and Hawkins are just fine as WR2/3 and Jordan Cameron is superior to any TE we are fielding.

So yeah, he has a shot to improve with a real WR1 and a better offensive system (that just lost Andre Johnson). Should we expect a huge leap in production if he wins the starting job?

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But, how?

You've already said they should have drafted TB... but lets just put a final nail in that coffin and presume that BOB did not like him enough. Probably would have taken Garapolo, but the Pats outmaneuvered our front office and took him way earlier than anybody expected.

So, beyond that... what sort of risks would you like them to take? If its "take a QB high in the draft", i'm sorry but that's the one "risk" that has been proven over and over again to fail more often than work out (especially in THIS draft class).

I'll stick with trying to make a 9-7 team better... then taking this so-called "riskier" approach that you can't really specify.

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

So why sign him?

I'm complaining because it's an indication of mindset... the same mindset that had them not getting Bridgewater last offseason. The same Bridgewater who had a 100+ passer rating in December, had a terrible offensive line, was consistently hurried and played great.

In hindsight, it seems clear he wasn't very good. He was ok, and lifted by a system... a system which couldn't succeed with an average QB unless playing an average team.

Which is exactly the reason why a very similar Texans team the prior year had a very similar result, despite having their back-up quarterback who will never be more than an ok back-up quarterback leading the team.

Absolutely.

You post "why bother" as if it is ok to accept mediocrity. Which does seem to be in line with your mantra here. The "everything is ok", "this makes sense" that you've said pretty much about every move the Texans have ever made. If the team was making moves as well or as smartly as you would have us believe based on reading all your posts on the subject over the last 12 years, they'd be multiple championship winners by now.

In the same vein, you pretend like some of these things happen accidentally. To an extent.. maybe. But the Colts didn't have to get the #1 pick the year Manning went down. They were going to be bad, but they didn't have to be that bad... they knew what the number one pick meant. More to the point, though, the Packers didn't "luck" into Aaron Rodgers. They chose him. Despite already having a great QB on their roster, and despite the fact that everyone else seemingly passed for one reason or another.

The same way the Seahawks didn't luck into Russell Wilson.

The same way the Texans LITERALLY didn't luck in Peyton Manning... because they deemed their current situation better... laughable!!!!

The same way you take criticism that it isn't "exciting" enough when in actuality excitement has nothing to do with it. Skill level has everything to do with it.

JJ Watt isn't the best player in football. He will never be, because of his position. Not his fault. And doesn't mean it isn't great to have him. The Texans also had Andre Johnson, one of the best wide receivers of his generation for years and years, too.

I'm positive that if the team/management continues along the same lines they've shown thus far with regard to finding better QBs that in 7-10 years time Texans fans will be sad to see JJ go, to, but not crying by any means because they'll be excited about the next amazing player the team has that isn't a QB on their average squad...

But by all means, pretend I'm complaining about "excitement" level and imply that the whole thing is an accidental crapshoot... if that makes you feel better.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The Texans should clearly trade their next 3 first round picks for the Crab thief, that's a franchise making move that only the most bold would go for.